Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

How can I persue a dream job ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How can I persue a dream job ? ?

Hey there, in September I will be moving to Wyoming to attend Wyotech. I have been attending Columbia basin college for the last year and a half and by the time I graduate from Wyotech I will also have my AAS in welding. I plan on getting ASE certified shortly after but it leads me to my question.

How can I make my dream come true ? I would like to work for a reputable company that has been around for a while and has made there mark in this industry. I would like to work modifying and building race cars or parts. My younger brother is going to Wyotech also with me and we plan on working for good reputable business and then opening our own shop when we are older, but first we want to gain the knowledge that we cant get from school. He is going to school for collision repair and autobody and I am going to school for Automotive tech. Some of the companies that are on my dream list are,

1. AEM
2. HKS USA
3. HKS Australia
4. World racing
5. Tein
6. JIC
7. Honeycomb Garrett
8. Turbonetics
9. Trust
10. Top secret
11. Ferrari
12. Lamborghini
13. Skunk 2
14. Cusco
15. Veilside
16. TRD
17. Hotchkis
18. Progress suspension
19. Blitz
20. RS*R
21. Exedy
22. Tomei
23. Porsche
24. Stillen
25. Nismo

I missed a lot of them but these are a few off the top of my head. What is the best chance of getting a job with a company of that stature ? Also I would not mind traveling over seas to work as that is one of my primary goals. I would love to work overseas. I am going to Australia next year after I graduate and was planning on going and talking to a bunch of the drift and drag teams in the area and see if some one will take me in and give me an opportunity. Is there anything else I could do ?

thanks in advanced..
Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my guess is...you gotta start small. start working for a small but reputible company, do good work there, show initiative, innovation, dedication, attention to detail, pride in work etc. make contacts with the different companies, and get a good recommendation from your previous employers or instructors etc.

in other words, it probably won't just fall in your lap, you gotta work your butt off.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking if I started getting letter of recommendations from some of my high school teachers, welding teacher, and my wyotech teachers and make a portfolio type thing with pictures of my projects and own work ?
Old 07-16-2009, 03:36 AM
SL Member

build up experience + work hard, don't get distracted
Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

References and diploma get you your first job. Your reputation gets the next one, and the next one. Work hard, learn everything you can, strive to be better than everyone else but keep humble at the same time. Always be honest in every dealing you have and always be a stand up guy. Be patient. My dream job took over 20 years of doing just what I described. Don't forget to enjoy what you are doing and life in general.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is some damn good advice flyer
Old 07-16-2009, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Fresh Crew
SL Member

go back to bed?

im just playing. Do as Flyer and Drax as well as i bet everyone has told and just build up to it. things take time (unless you catch a break and something falls into your lap). Be patient, work hard, stay smart and things will fall your way. You never know, you may like working at a smaller company and never want to leave.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

just as posted above plus lots of networking with the the good work you do it will back you up..also if someone gives ya a hard time just walk away,when i was in my teens i was into honda's i built 3 of them and was trying to do the same as you and get into a real shop was pretty hard ,i then sold my car to a younger friend of mine and oo and be hold he got a job at one at of the places i was trying to get into because a friend told them about his car that i built and sold him...so patience and hard work and networking good attitude and dont forgot about the customer because with out us you are nothing!!! good luck and let us know were you end up at ,,,
Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya true. But how would I go about showing some of these companies that I am interested in working for them ? I was thinking bout sending letters with resume and letter of recommendations to see if I can get a shot. I will see how it goes with one of the local tuners and see what they say since there are a few in the area that would be fun to work for. I would really like to go outside of the country for a few years though. Anyone know how to accomplish that ? Or would it be the same ? Id like to work at a smaller well known shop in Australia and would rather gain experience there.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get as much experience as you can. Start off small and work for local shops then try to climb the ladder. Put in at a minimum 1 year at each place. Also, try to get as many certifications as you can. You are on track with putting together a portfolio of your work.

Write up a generic letter and send it to all of the above shops and ask them what they are looking for in a mechanic/fabricator. Then do everything in your power to make yourself desirable.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 2 cousins went to Wyotech together, and they were both offered jobs after graduating by i think BMW, and VW. They actually scouted them and contacted them through mail and phone, unfortunately they didn't pursue those careers with them but they said they had a blast at Wyotech and learned a lot. Great career opportunities at the time, and thwas was like 5-6 years ago, unfortunately times have changed but hopefully the automotive industry isn't hurting as bad as financial institituions.

Good luck man!!!!!! Dreams can definitely come true, I'm hoping everything works out for you!
Old 07-18-2009, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for all the good advise guys. does anyone know how much working in a custom shop would bring in ? Or would I be better of getting a good job working at a nuclear plant making over 100g a year and start practicing building turbo manifolds and such until I perfect it ? than start my own business doing just that ?
Old 07-18-2009, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

what about just applying? lol its the most blunt and straight forward way, but apply for a smaller position there and work your way up, that way you can stay in the same company w/o switching places and being the NFG consistently. maybe explain to them how its your dream to "be a part of their team/family" and that you're willing to start anywhere and prove yourself to them.

then be persistent about it, places like determination.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

honestly dude you have to think about market saturation. think about how many people out there who are car enthusiasts who are applying for the jobs you want. with the state of the economy currently those jobs are out there but they're more difficult to get now more than ever.

to get placement in the jobs you want will take a lot of hard work and an extensive resume for them to consider you. work for smaller companies and get your experience and resume built up so they have something to reference when you apply for your job.

another rule of thumb is that it never hurts to know someone on the inside. a reference from an employee with years of experience is all it takes for the HR rep to slip your application onto the bosses desk. sometimes it's not what you know, its who you know.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would update the title of this thread and spell check Pursue lol