Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

How do you feel about section 8 housing, and the like.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How do you feel about section 8 housing, and the like.

this is more for people who live in places where housing is very expensive, bay area, la, seattle, new york, new england, etc... where median home prices are 400k+.

Personally, I'm totally against home ownership for people that can't afford it. I work 2 jobs(one at $15/hour another at 9/hour, 75+ hours a week, never a minute of overtime), and only had 1 kid, and my wife works. I use birth control, pay my taxes, child care, don't get welfare or free handouts. But there are quite a few people in my area that pay a mere $200-300 a month to own a near half million dollar home and the husband will work 1 job(at more per hour than I do), and they'll have 4+ kids (and more on the way, because they won't use birth control cuz their little religion bans the use of it) and the wife doesn't work because they make more money if she doesn't. that's all fine, but helping these stupid/lazy people own a home in a market where no-way no how could they afford it, is fcuked up, especially to those of us actually trying to make a living.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Well, it is quite unfortunate that American taxpayers pay for women to have children, yet in the same breath in most places in the USA prostitution is illegal. Aren't they esentially the same thing?

I think owning a home is a very rewarding part of life. I do not think people should be denied a roof over their heads just because they don't work as hard as others. Do I believe they should be getting elaborate/expensive houses for chump change (compared to what others are paying)? No. I do believe that everyone deserves shelter though.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

around here in sac a ton of new mid to large sized home developments are being built. all section 8...... so they get brand new 400-700k houses for liek a grand a month while I have to live in a crappy old apartment or rent an old duplex or some crap and spend the same as they are.

let alone buying a house oh if only I could get one. but these darn section 8 people get the brand new homes. messed up.

they should give section 8 to old apartments and such and just regulate the rent and then have mid level income housing incentives and such.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How do you feel about section 8 housing, and the like.

Originally Posted by seattledave
this is more for people who live in places where housing is very expensive, bay area, la, seattle, new york, new england, etc... where median home prices are 400k+.

Personally, I'm totally against home ownership for people that can't afford it. I work 2 jobs(one at $15/hour another at 9/hour, 75+ hours a week, never a minute of overtime), and only had 1 kid, and my wife works. I use birth control, pay my taxes, child care, don't get welfare or free handouts. But there are quite a few people in my area that pay a mere $200-300 a month to own a near half million dollar home and the husband will work 1 job(at more per hour than I do), and they'll have 4+ kids (and more on the way, because they won't use birth control cuz their little religion bans the use of it) and the wife doesn't work because they make more money if she doesn't. that's all fine, but helping these stupid/lazy people own a home in a market where no-way no how could they afford it, is fcuked up, especially to those of us actually trying to make a living.

I hear what you're saying. I used to live on Alki Beach and Edmonds. The stuff there is ridiculously overpriced. I'm all for buying a chunk of land and having it mature for 30 years into something like that. Then you go up the hill to West Seattle or cross 99 into Lynnwood and you got cheap ___ ghetto trash. Oh well it could be worse, you guys could all live in the FWB with me which has no zoning laws. I pay 895 a month for a 1200 sqft townhome and next door is a trailer park and a crack house.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Same over here... I live in a tiny city in the small state of Rhode Island... houses in my neighborhood are going for about 450k+... not many section 8 near me, but in other areas of the city, they've been knocking down old buildings and putting up these nice new ones specifically for section 8. This city already has enough people in it, and we get alot of bad rap for the crime and whatnot (apparently we made national news for having alot of fights? I dunno, that's just what I heard) I think it's crazy to see my old elementary school turned into housing now... as many other old school houses are now. Yet they can't find a space big enough to put up a new middle school...

I work in a bank... and these people paying barely nothing for a nice place also get checks from the city to help pay for their housing... so in the end, they may only end up paying a couple hundred bucks...

Something certainly is not right... I agree that everybody should be able to have a roof over their head, but come on now...
Old 03-01-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Home ownership? By chance do you mean them residing in a house for lowered/reduced rent? I just didn't know people could buy a house via section 8.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
Home ownership? By chance do you mean them residing in a house for lowered/reduced rent? I just didn't know people could buy a house via section 8.
section 8/HUD, wtfever. the b.s. that allows people to pay 1/4 to own a home.
this is what my aunt does, she buys a house, rents it out for a year(that's the rule, you can't buy just to turn around and gank gov. money), then sells it to HUD, or fanny mae.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hud and fanny mae aren't section 8 and they are pretty much the ONLY programs out there for anyone to get a nice house if they make under 100,000k a year.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's a load of crap personally. I worked for my cash. I don't make enough to get a house but I make enough to not get any handouts. I once saw a dude with a fully decked out ghettomobile with hugeass chrome rims, tint, exhaust, the guy covered in gold chains, rings, etc. and on the back it had sprawled across the back window "Section 8." ____ing scumbags milking my tax dollars...
Old 03-01-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skeorx13
I think it's a load of crap personally. I worked for my cash. I don't make enough to get a house but I make enough to not get any handouts. I once saw a dude with a fully decked out ghettomobile with hugeass chrome rims, tint, exhaust, the guy covered in gold chains, rings, etc. and on the back it had sprawled across the back window "Section 8." flippin' scumbags milking my tax dollars...
There is quite a difference between fraudulently abusing the system and depending on the system just to get by.

How do you afford a $400k house on $34k/year? You don't. so how do you house people in those areas, that at that salary are pretty much there just to work in service industries that provide for those making $340k/year. Do you run them off? do you do with out? Do you send your police, fire fighters, and teachers 4 hours or 4000 mi away? They are people that need to be in the community they serve, but can't afford the community.

you have to eject the folks that are abusing the system. One way to do that would be to require 100% sobriety for the programs. If you are on the program, then you should be taking random drug tests.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i don't think it's nice to say belittle anyone's religion because you don't agree with their birth control views.

there are programs and services to help people get out of the ghettos and makes better lives for themselves. can you even find a 200k home anywhere in those areas? no. so they can't find a home they can afford on their own w/o section 8 assistance if they wanted to. people abuse the system cuz the government doesn't value important jobs like case/social workers to investigate fraud.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

well when I make 60k and can;t afford a house but a ghetto couple that came from oakland and who makes like 30 grand combined can get a house? a BRAND new house in a NICE area? MESSED UP
Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XxTamTxX
i don't think it's nice to say belittle anyone's religion because you don't agree with their birth control views.
ok, how would you nicely put that the 40+million mexican catholics in the united states are never going to stop pumping out too many kids for our welfare system?

We offer FREE condoms and birth control for anyone and everyone. You can walk into planned parenthood not show any ID, tell them you're osama bin laden and walk away with FREE birth control.

but they won't use it. Why? Their made up fantasy religion.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:26 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member
Scinergy

i think alot of it is because they no longer make affordable houses. so to those people who do have section 8 feel that the only way to get a decent house is to cheat to get ahead. lets face it, alot of those crappy apartments that you all say section 8 should go to arent the best places to live let alone raise kids if you want them to have GOOD values. sometimes those families are crazy and irresponsible by bringing so many kids into the world and knowing they dont have finances to support them, but i think those families that are honestly trying to make a way, and that way is cheating, shouldnt stop what they are doing until they are forced to stop. so what the family is ghetto? should they be forced to live in a drug high crime area when they have kids to raise? absolutely not! i feel a little different about the families or couples who are just lazy, but my heart bleeds for those familieswho are ghetto, but are honestly trying, but have kids to raise and need a break
Old 03-01-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by foxtrot685
i think alot of it is because they no longer make affordable houses. so to those people who do have section 8 feel that the only way to get a decent house is to cheat to get ahead. lets face it, alot of those crappy apartments that you all say section 8 should go to arent the best places to live let alone raise kids if you want them to have GOOD values. sometimes those families are crazy and irresponsible by bringing so many kids into the world and knowing they dont have finances to support them, but i think those families that are honestly trying to make a way, and that way is cheating, shouldnt stop what they are doing until they are forced to stop. so what the family is ghetto? should they be forced to live in a drug high crime area when they have kids to raise? absolutely not! i feel a little different about the families or couples who are just lazy, but my heart bleeds for those familieswho are ghetto, but are honestly trying, but have kids to raise and need a break
ok, i don't know how housing is in littletown, CO. But in and around Seattle, you're looking at 750+ a month for a crappy, your next door neighbor sells crack 2 bd. apt.,

like every apt. you have to make 3+ times the rent to live there. So when I made 15 an hour(=30k a year), that was about 2500 a month before taxes. 1900 something after. That means I BARELY qualify for that crappy 750 a month apt. I remember when I was looking at apts for 900-1000, there were lots of Section 8s and they're all paying MUCH less than half. some as low as $150, for an apartment I can afford, but can't qualify for.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

... Their made up fantasy religion.
I don't fully understand why you are so mad at religion. But this is the second time I have seen you attack it. Maybe you should that kind of stuff out with god (or gods) before bringing it on to scionlife?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member
Scinergy

seattle dave im not from colorado, im from baltimore city MD, so the section 8 stuff u talkin, i saw it everyday... hell, i lived it
Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Frosty355
... Their made up fantasy religion.
I don't fully understand why you are so mad at religion. But this is the second time I have seen you attack it. Maybe you should that kind of stuff out with god (or gods) before bringing it on to scionlife?
it's worked out, im atheist.
with religion im glad it controls the weak minded, the immoral, unethical people and gives them hope so they don't live in complete anarchy.

But, look if someone can't afford the 3 kids they already have, **** if they can't hardly feed themselves, DON'T PRODUCE MORE KIDS. You aren't going to stop ppl from having sex, but you can stop them from having more kids...except "We have to respect their religion, and allow them to concieve 1 kid every 9 months, and we all need to support them"

Do I think china is wrong with their 1 child policy? helllllll no. we need that here.(and yes i do have a kid)
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think alot of it is because they no longer make affordable houses
The houses they build aren't the problem, it's the high dollar land they sit on, which they aren't making anymore of.

Besides, folks like me that make good money don't want to look at new houses in neighborhoods designated "affordable housing". To me, that means in 10 years 1/3 of the houses will have been foreclosed and resold at 1/2 their value, and my property won't appreciate.

We have a neighborhood going up like that in PC. It's all manufactured houses (not a tin condo with wheels, just wooden framed houses built in sections in a factory) built to withstand 140mph wind loads, geothermal heating/cooling, and brand new appliances starting in at 139k. For that money, I'm looking elsewhere, because I know that in 10 years the neighborhood will be butt, and my investment will have been for not.

Right now, I'm looking for 120k fixers in old downtown neighborhoods.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by foxtrot685

yeah the ghetto old apartments aren't a good place to live but i have to live there cause I can't get into a home......

Quick Reply: How do you feel about section 8 housing, and the like.