Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

I Hate JC Whitney!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default I Hate JC Whitney!

I ordered a hardtop for my wife's Jeep Wrangler on 11/7 and it was to be shipped on 11/20th. Started trying to track it on the 20th and have yet to find out if it actually shipped. Called them on Monday the 21st and all they could do is e-mail the manufacturer (Best top) to find out for me. Tues the 22nd- the day they actually sent the E-mail Jeees people. Wed the 23rd- Finally got someone in cust. serv. to call them and guess what??? Best Top is Closed till Monday the 28th Big Surprise . I HATE J C WHITNEY!!! If I wasn't getting the 15% off the dang thing I think I'd cancel the order and still get it sooner from someone else.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yah, but that's how they can afford to keep in business; by not stocking low-volume merchandise. Can't hardly blame -them- but it's the old matter of customer service quality.

They've been around for so many decades. These days, with so many national chains of auto parts stores, it must be tougher than ever for JC Whitney. A lot of their junk you can get from the corner store. But not what you wanted here. Well, sorry about that.

I wanted some frenching skirts. IN STOCK says the catalog. I called in my order. They said... what?

Well, its IN your catalog. "Which one".

Spring, 1957 sez I.

Customer service kinda gargled, choked and the line went dead. Go figure?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

They said it was being shipped from the factory. Sounds like I'm having to wait while they make it from scratch. LOL I guess I should look at it like I'm earning my 15% discount by bugging them on the phone. I just hope I get it before Christmas. I have other stuff to install after the top is on.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I seen those guys before. All over southern california
Old 11-25-2005, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they make it from scratch.
you think you are kidding? that's very likely the case: the way businesses get by is with the 'just in time' method. OR 'make it in small batches' and don't keep costly stock around in dead storage.

Costs are killer for businesses. JC is an order-taker here and flak-handler for the tiny biz that will be making your part, and maybe a dozen more at the same time. Am guessing they want to make them up in batches. So you have to wait until the plane gets a load of paying passengers in que.

something like this.. about that..

reid
Old 11-25-2005, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'm not sure cuz there are other places that have them in stock ready to ship and it's also from the factory so anything possible at this point. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what they say after this weekend is over.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Update, Last monday the 5th It arrived at the truck dock on Friday the second but they can't deliver till Monday. (Old Dominion) Who I now also HATE. Guess what? Their driver quit Monday so we go and borrow my cousins car hauler. Drive 50 plus miles to the trucking companies location. Check out the windows for breakage. It looks good to go right. Load it on the trailer and drive really slow. Its bolted to a wooden skid which is 6ftx6ft and covered in a huge cardboard box. Finally make it back home (3+ hrs. waisted)
Guess what???? They Freakin Cracked the top. It's cracked in the top drivers side corner around the rear window.
I'm so ____ed. It made my wife cry for Gods sake. Now the whole process starts over. Isn't this fun.
Today they are to pick up the cracked POS. We'll see if that happens??? Will update asap. JC Whitney still sucks hard!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Old 12-14-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear ya, and sympathize on the JC whitney thing. I learned my lesson LONG ago with those guys. I have a Jeep Wrangler and made the mistake of ordering from them once. Believe me, no matter what they have, there are much better places to order from, many with cheaper prices.

Side note; They carry a line of products called "Steel Horse"

Their tendancy to rust within weeks of purchase (if not in the shipping container on the way to your house) have earned them the nickname "rusted pony".

Good luck to you, let us know what happens!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Update*** The second top showed up yesterday and guess what??? It wasn't cracked but it was FREAKIN TAN NOT BLACK. Granted it wasn't Whitneys fault on theat one but What The He11 is going on and how does whitney and Best Top stay in buisness. So far to date the shipping has been paid 4 count em 4 times so at 125 bucks a pop they should now be loosing money on the deal. But it's been over 2 months since I ordered the top and still don't have one. At this rate I may get it after it's time to put the bikini top on for the spring. Funny and Sad at the same time. I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:08 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe you need to drive down there, to the jeep hard top place not jc whitney and get it job done right!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I thought about that but the place is in Colorado and I know they wouldn't pay for my gas. I'm to the point where I want them to overnight the right top directly to my door. Ha Ha like that will happen.
I prolly won't find out when the next one will be shipped out till next week Tuesday. Very slow motion. The whole process of buying these things is very sad and I'm wondering if anyone ever gets the right top, the right color on the first shot.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

It's been awhile so I figured I'd update everyone on this horible experience.
Still haven't gotten top #3. They now inform me that the top I ordered is no longer available.(discontinued) yeah right. So for only 100 bucks more they will upgrade me to the top of the line Best Top top with side vents and rear defogger on the glass whish should cost more than 250 bucks more. I said yes just get it here already for Gods sake. It's been almost 3 month since I ordered it. We'll see???
Old 01-23-2006, 03:20 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if they send you the wrong color again, you can always get it painted
Old 02-12-2006, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Update* Still don't have a top yet. We are hoping to get it by the end of Feb. but at this point who knows. We did get the pully system made to lift it off and store it while not in use.