Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

I need some advice, credit cards, bank accounts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

The days of easy to obtain credit cards is pretty much over if you're sub-prime. . .
Student CC's can be worth a shot, but their limits are so low, they are pretty much useless, at least if you plan on larger transactions.

And yes, too many CC's are bad, especially if they are close to their limits.

If you want to build credit and you're young, cosign on your car loan, and you will build installment history (vital if you plan on ever purchasing a car or a home). Installment and revolving (CC) history is completely different.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Ask local banks near your school for their Student card programs....I know big banks like Bank of America has that (check their website) . Tell them you live in a dorm if that's okay with them or not. Worst case, they would require a physical address. Worth to try tho.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I have a bank credit card, which is linked to my bank account, a Discover cashback bouns card, an American Express Blue, PayPal Mastercard, Juniper Visa (Apple credit line), Sears card, Macy's card, Guitar Center card, and my debit card.

Get something with 0% interest and pay it off completely before the 0% ends.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Get something with 0% interest and pay it off completely before the 0% ends.
Yepper. Did that with my tC. I purchased the car in full by just paying with my US Bank credit card. That card has always had the highest limit. It was at $13,000 at the time, so I called them and asked them to increase the limit a bit more. I told them I was going to make a huge purchase and they gladly bumped the credit line up to $17,000 and extended the 0% APR to last for an additional 12 months. By the time those 12 months were up, I had paid off the entire car at 0% interest. Sure beats paying Toyota's finance charges, and having the pink slip in hand from Day 1 is nice too.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The only thing you have to watch out with those 0% cards, is that some of them will charge the standard 21.99% rate for each month if you don't end up paying the card off in a certain amount of time.

I did the same with with my student loan. My Bank of America card has like a $16,000 limit, so I transfered my entire student loan onto it, since they were offering 0% on transfers until May 09. I can easily have it paid off by then.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The credit card companies are usually willing to work with you if you are a good customer. They can bend the rules, adjust your benefits, and even reverse charges if you feel like there has been a misunderstanding.

Well, I can't speak for all companies, but US Bank has always been really good to me.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Some of them just don't give a ____.