Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

If it's your turn, just GO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default If it's your turn, just GO!!!

OK, this has been bugging me for a while and I really need to vent. This is going to sound strange, but people around here cause problems by trying to be polite! I kid you not. In this area of PA, we have many intersections with 4-way stops. I can't tell you how many times I will be approaching one of those intersections at about the same time as someone else, but the other person gets there first. That means they have the right-of-way. But, God bless 'em, most of the drivers around here will sit there and wave you on to go before them. Sounds all nice and stuff huh? WRONG! It creates more problems! Half the time you can't really see the other driver very clearly because of glare on the windshield or whatever. So while your sitting there waiting for the guy to go, he's sitting in his car waving you through. Many times there is that awkward pause when nobody goes, then both start to go, then both stop....and it goes on forever! I appreciate you being nice, but if you have the right-of-way, JUST FREAKING GO!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol..in CA people will go when it's NOT their turn.

That causes problems too.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pengu56
Lol..in CA people will go when it's NOT their turn.

That causes problems too.
Sometimes I think I might prefer that. At least they are moving!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ha yeah i hate that too. i usually give them a second or 2 if they've got the right of way and then figure ok if you're not gonna go then i will
Old 08-29-2007, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

When I lived farther north in Ca, you'd see this politeness thing a lot, but they take it to the next level. It's like Chip and Dale, You can go, No please, after you, No I insist...
Old 08-29-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Residents in the following 25 cities were surveyed and are listed in order from those reporting the most incidents of road rage to the fewest:

1. Miami
2. New York
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington, D.C.
6. Phoenix
7. Chicago
8. Sacramento
9. Philadelphia
10. San Francisco
11. Houston
12. Atlanta
13. Detroit
14. Minneapolis-St. Paul
15. Baltimore
16. Tampa
17. San Diego
18. Cincinnati
19. Cleveland
20. Denver
21. Dallas-Ft. Worth
22. St. Louis
23. Seattle-Tacoma
24. Pittsburgh
25. Portland, Ore.
From a someone who lives at #23 on this list, I can sympathize. LOL
Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i visited seattle area (bremmerton ish) and i was surprised how different people on the west coast drive compared to us back here on the east coast. everyone was doing close to the speed limit...lots of space between cars...etc. then again, there were a ton of cops everywhere. i caught myself a few times and had to slow it down
Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_andy07
i visited seattle area (bremmerton ish) and i was surprised how different people on the west coast drive compared to us back here on the east coast. everyone was doing close to the speed limit...lots of space between cars...etc. then again, there were a ton of cops everywhere. i caught myself a few times and had to slow it down
Yeah, lots of cops around here, lol.

I was in Miami last December (first on that list for rude drivers) and was shocked how rude people were down there. I was thankful I decided against renting a car, lol.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here I am living 45 minutes away from number 4 on the list..lol
Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That list seems pretty accurate. I live within a 2 hour drive from Washington D.C. so we usually get there at least once a year for stuff. The traffic there SUCKS. If you get in the wrong lane and miss a turn, you're screwed for the next hour. It's no wonder those people have road rage. At least you won't have the "you go...no, you go...no, I insist, you go.....
Old 08-29-2007, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If there is a glare, I usually flash the lights....unless I am in no mood to be polite, then, it's "I don't care whose turn it is, I'm going..."
Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
If there is a glare, I usually flash the lights....unless I am in no mood to be polite, then, it's "I don't care whose turn it is, I'm going..."
That's why it bugs me so much. We shouldn't have to figure out who's going next. That's already been determined by the rules of the road. If you have the right-of-way you should go. Trying to be nice is just going to cause an accident.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

stop sign? isnt that just a "slow don a little" sign? no one im MI does complete stops at stopsigns if they can help it. but i know what you mean it is annoying.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Man what really gets me going is when two people stop at the same time and no one knows who should go or they get ____ed you when you go, because you know the laws. Listen people the person to the right always has right of way in that case, unless they’re turning left and in the opposite direction (in that case someone just let someone go)! I can't stand people who don't know the laws of the road, it's like butting into a convo and not knowing a damn thing.

I think if I'm not mistaken GA has been voted the "nicest" drivers in america, well by being nice people will actaully stop in the middle of a two lane road to let someone in!! How dangerous can you get?!?! Or if traffic is backed-up people will stop right after an intersection to let the right-hand turners go, meanwhile people behind them get backed up inside the intersection. I swear I horn gets tired after I drive in rush hour.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You still have a horn????? Mine just got up and walked away from the car, said the work load was too much.

If a 4way stop gets you mad, how about when the traffic lights are out and everyone has a huge case of stupid?

If the lights are out, it is a 4 way stop, if the lights are blinking, you either have the red where you stop or the yellows where you are prepared to stop.....Driver's Ed 101