Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Im tired of morons... (Working in Retail experiences)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Im tired of morons... (Working in Retail experiences)

I work in a retail shop (tint shop/sign shop/accessories), and we constantly get some of the stupidest people in the world in here. My first complaint

1: Clean your damn car out before you get to a place that is working on your car. From an Oil Change to Electronics to Window tint, just clean up the car. Im tired of seeing cars like this:

These are the type of people that will pick apart everything about the job like they are perfectionists but drive around in a car that looks like it has survived multiple nuclear blasts. I just pulled this heap around, and was bitten by something. I think it was a ant. I dont really know what it was for sure though. I had to be careful when I took these pictures to not get bits of the **** magazines in the car.

2. Know what you want, dont assume I know what the hell you are talking about. I can talk to people on the phone, and have no Idea what they want, because they can not explain what they want. If you want window tint, say window tint. Dont say dark stuff or paper (You would not believe how many people refer to window tint as "paper on my windows"). Its not paint. It goes on the inside. If you want a stripe on you car, do not ask what the average price is. There is no average price.

3. Dont try to get us to break the law. Any respectable tint shop should not break the tint laws. If morons keep on breaking the law about stuff like that, one day window tint will be illegal. No matter what shade. I dont care if some other shop did it before, I dont care if you will pay more, I dont care if you dont want a receipt. Were not going to do it. Theres a reason why its illegal, because its dangerous. Ive driven cars with multiple layers of tint, and tint darker than limo tint at night time. I had to roll the windows down. I have perfect vision, and I had to roll the windows down.

4. Do not complain about how you can buy something online for cheaper. If you have no store, no overhead, no insurance bills, sure, you could sell stuff for cheaper. Do not assume that everything online is the same quality as what you would get in the average retail shop. If you buy a decal or graphic on ebay, its probably going to be the cheapest vinyl, and peel/fade easily.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work retail as well and the people here are pathetically stupid.

Anyway, about the people not cleaning out the car. My brother was installing garage doors for about a year and he always had idiots that would not clean out their garage so he could work.

Then, in the dead of winter, they would be either arrogant or retarded and come outside just to shiver and aknowledge that it is cold outside. Either that, or it would be snowing outside and they would offer him icewater while they have a big cup of coffee in their hands.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having done car electronics install for about 8 years, I agree with everything you've said.

My favorite is when they leave their chewing tobacco spit cup right where I need to work.
I won't even go into that one time a disgusting kid-hauling van gave me a Staph infection.....
Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

meh, i've worked in the restaurant industry for several years... i know what your talking about.

they always assume that it's the servers fault when most of the time poor service is due to the kitchen/bar

ah wells, i still make money
Old 04-26-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Im tired of morons... (Working in Retail experiences)

Originally Posted by krustytheclown
I thought this was a garbage bin....
Old 04-26-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ha..i feel you...i work in retail too and man...peoplea are f'ing idiiots. i work at Fossil Accessory Store so i sell watches, handbags, & sunglasses and i get people coming in asking me in regards to watches, "how do you know if its AM or PM?" i get idiots like that everyday...that whole "the customer are right" thing is complete BS at my store..we don't acknowledge that cuz if we know you are wrong...we'll straight up say you're wrong. that's why when i got shopping or whatnot, i totally feel for the employees.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The gap on the passenger side of that car had a trash bag on it, but the tinter already pulled that out before I snapped this picture. The tobacco spit cup is nasty. If you chew tobacco, you should have to swallow that %$#@ down.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Forget the window tint, fix the rust!
Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member

Signature Visions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How about i was working at HOLLISTER two summers ago and I had a lady who was mid thirties come in and pulled me aside and wanted me to "help her pick out outfits for a cruise" aka personal shop for her.

#1) you are over 30 and in Hollister buy clothes for yourself...thats just sad.
#2) especially in Hollister we are not going to personal shop for you (this is Hollister not Saks 5th Ave)...we got paid $6 an hour and most kids who work there are like 17 so they dont know wtf to get someone thats older like that....lol i just happened to be the 23 year old loser working there for fun at the time haha

anyways, she said her BF/husband whatever was taking her for trip and she didnt know what to wear. first she asked me what are all these trends with the layered t-shirts and what colors would look good together....are you serious? lol so i preceded to tell her you can mix and match colors and pretty much cant go wrong in most cases and especially cuz she was wearing white pants/shirt and itd look fine with whatever. THEN ....after picking out probably about 10 outfits and carrying the clothes around for her (with my boss staring at me like wtf are you doing) she asks me if i can come into the dressing room with her while she tries on clothes so i can tell her what works and what doesnt...wow. so I did cuz i didn't know what to say at that point. She proceeds to take off her shirt and pants in front of me and trys on several outfits and makes me go get sandals and belts etc to go with and show her "how to wear" certain things and asking me if she looked chunky in the clothes. Anyways, 2 hours later her BF/whatever shows up (hes at least upper 30s or 40 yrs old) and shes like can you pick out some clothes for him.....WOW....by this point my boss is laughing and said just do it and you'd better sell over $500 of clothes or i'll be ____ed. So i pick out a few shirts and sandals etc for him blah blah same deal. All in all they walked out of the store with just under $400 worth of stuff that was WAY TOO young for them to be wearing and you'd think they'd look somewhere more mature for a cruise like maybe a department store or something. my boss was like well you didnt sell $500 but it was amusing watching you run around.

that was not the first or the last time I would end up doing this for a customer at a retail store but it definitely was the most amusing.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member

Signature Visions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i also hate " the customer is always right" thing. when i worked at American Eagle this lady brought in a t-shirt with the most herrendous pit stains ever .... the shirt looked so bad the pits looked tye-dyed yellow and she said it was never worn, it had no tags on it either and we had to take it back and refund her in full for it because we were never aloud to argue with a customer and even without tags we could still find something similar to price check it. some shirts do change color because of deoderants or different body chemicals reacting with the fabric and this shirt was obviously worn. nasty.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That American Eagle story is hilarious, my sister use to work at a similar store in Sarasota, FL. It was in a part of town by the beach (St. Armands Circle, extremly nice/expensive area), and constantly old women would go in there expecting them to do personal shopping stuff like that, she more than once seen old woman and old man naked bodies.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ewwwwww....
Old 04-26-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work in human resources. I've heard complaints about other employees body odors, too much pollen in the office air, moldy food in cubicles, someone offended that a guy wears a kilt on Fridays...

I love my job, but it still makes me wonder about some people.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:54 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm tired of the moronic sales ppl i work with...

they are not the ones who plant the trees... i do they don't know how much planting mix to use its not two bags of it, its a quarter to a half a bag on the small trees two bags for the 33 inch root ball...

they don't give us the directions to the houses thats not in the map book

and only the directions to houses thats 2 miles away... wtf is up with that!!!

and the customer is half the time is right most of the time they are wrong

we plant our trees by the book 90% of the time and we cork 'em in easier for us to do, we do a a song and dance only if they are watching us like a hawk!!!

even if their sales person tell's me one thing 25% of the time the sales person is WRONG!!! i do it for a living and i know what i'm doing...

one things for sure i hate all the bickering that our sales ppl do about the other sales ppl sofa king annoying

AHHHHH HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPO's!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I worked at Circuit City for 5 years. I know TOO WELL the feeling of customers with issues/problems/attitudes/etc. The attitude of "The Customer is ALWAYS right" is BS. I used to go out of my way to help people; yet some are just total a-holes. There seems to be a mentality with some in our population that because money is leaving their wallet they can treat you like dirt.

I have been yelled at, cursed at, physically threatened, etc. "Why can't you return my ripped apart 1-year old cell phone for a new one?" "I need someone to come to my house and show me how to use my computer!" "Throw that in for free."

Yet, there were times when we won. "Sorry, we couldn't fix your phone because it was infested with bugs. If we open that up, the roaches will lay eggs in other customers equipment." "Yeah, I can't return that. 1) We don't stock that & 2) The Best Buy price tag says it wasn't purchased here."

The wins were SO sweet.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oof, yeah I used to work retail before too. It's because of these reasons I will never work it ever again. I actually was jobless for two years because of this.

I used to work at a science and surplus supply store. I was working with this one chick who weren't too brite... ('bout as sharp as a marble) So I'm working in the backstock area and she comes to me with a question (like always). "Theres a guy out there that said he wants to get parts for an E-something-or-other..." (Needless to say my eyebrow was cocked and loaded) "so that if someone cuts him off in his car he can push a button and turn off the guy's car..." I look up and my mouth goes numbly agape as I realize where this is going. "An EMP?" I ask. I could tell the empty void in her skull was not being filled by the acronym as she stared blankly at me. "Electro-Magnetic Pulse?..." "Yeah that's it!" "Um, no." She gives me the confused dog/spoiled child look, "What?" "An EMP would kill any electronics for a mile radius. Tell him no."

Then I always got the stoners that would come in to make bongs and bowls with the products. "Hey man, I wanna make a bong, man..." "Can't help ya man..." (thankfully my boss let me know that if anyone says they are going to use our products for anything illegal we are bound by law to not sell them the stuff.) "However, if you would like to make a 'water filtration device'..." "Naw, man, I wanna make a bong man, haha." I lower my head and actually do the finger quotes this time. "No... you want a "water"filtration"device." "What man? naw dude, a bong, man." I sigh, "Can't help ya man..." Apparently you've smoked quite enough already, you don't need any more help. My boss thought it was cute though so he'd always shuttle them over to me.

I also always had to help the soccer moms with their kid's science fair projects. I'd point to the books on the wall all about science fair projects and tell them to look up stuff. They'd come back and ask for all the stuff for it. Which is fine. Then they proceed to ask me to put it together for them. "Uhhhh, no. I'm not doing your son's project for him. I can show him how to assemble it but I'll be taking it apart when I'm done."
Old 04-27-2007, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I was reading the new replies about 30 minutes ago, a annoying customer came in, expecting me to know exactly what she wants. She wanted body side molding and graphics for a 1987 Cadillac Eldorado. Who the hell puts money into a 20 year old Eldorado? Who puts graphics on a 87 Eldorado?

She had no idea what she wanted, but used the phrase "You know more about this than I do". I sucked it up and offered a few suggestions. She turned everyone of them down. I then told her to look at the samples and pick one, and then let me know. Then she scoffed at that idea, and said "I thought you would help me!". I replied "Well, ma'am, you just shot down every suggestion I said". Then she finally picked out some stuff (which happened to be ones that I suggested before, what a suprise).

Dumb ___.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krustytheclown
Who the hell puts money into a 20 year old Eldorado? Who puts graphics on a 87 Eldorado?
the "urban" community does around here.

My dad drives the big fullsize caddy's(of course not the sts, no the dts and similary stupid caddy's).

i told him a few months ago, "you know that in 15+ years your car will be sporting $1500 worth of rims, sitting on $30 walmart tires, right?"
Old 04-27-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are a few things about this thread that make me laugh. First of all, each one of you who complained about your customers has been a customer yourself. And guess what? The person who waited on you thought you were an idiot too.
I know it's just blowing off steam and it's a way of getting through the day. I understand that some people truly are morons. But when you constantly degrade people, other people notice. Here's an example:
I was in Sears the other day standing near the register/phone in the electronics department. In about 15 minutes time, I overheard 2 employees (both young guys) making fun of everyone they waited on or talked to on the phone. Everything out of their mouths was stuff like, "what an idiot..he didn't know the difference between...". Now how do you suppose I felt when one of them walked over to help me? My first thought was, "no matter what I say or ask, this little ____ant is going to make fun of me to his little friend as soon as I leave". I'm sure that attitude was obvious when he dealt with me. This type of attitude breeds more of the same. Treat people with respect and don't expect them to know as much about your job as you do. Some people are real jerks; the rest are just trying to get home.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I respect the people at the stores I go to. When Im interested in buying something (from a video game to a stereo) I research the item before I go to the store, and know about the item. I dont just show up somewhere and expect the person to explain everything about it, and have no knowledge about it. I know what I want before I get to the store.

Quick Reply: Im tired of morons... (Working in Retail experiences)