Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Im tired of morons... (Working in Retail experiences)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krustytheclown
I respect the people at the stores I go to. When Im interested in buying something (from a video game to a stereo) I research the item before I go to the store, and know about the item. I dont just show up somewhere and expect the person to explain everything about it, and have no knowledge about it. I know what I want before I get to the store.
So do I. Most of the time, by the time I actually go to the store I already know more about the item than the sales person. But why should that be expected? Isn't it the sales person's job to know the items and explain them to customers? Belive me, I understand a lot of what you are saying. I would be ____ed at the joker who brought his car in looking like that too. I just think many people in retail have developed a really poor attitude toward ALL customers.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skeorx13
"An EMP would kill any electronics for a mile radius. Tell him no."
you can make an emp with a 9volt and an camera flash cube, that only takes electronics in a 6ft diameter.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Um, Link?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

popular science. I'd have to go through my collection, but that's where, sure there's an article out there. I'm not doing that google search though.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, thats cool. A google search wouldn't kill me. Have you ever tried it?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since the patriot act went into effect, i'd never try nor admit to trying to anything like that. (same reason i'm not searching for emp info)
Old 04-27-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

besides the mess, I hope that car wasn't getting it wondows tinted.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Umm, I would never EVER try anything like that. You hear that NSA? FBI? CIA? ATF? I WOULD NOT DO THAT! PLEASE DONT THROW ME IN GITMO.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

I work at Hollywood Video.

Enough said.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krustytheclown
Ok, thats cool. A google search wouldn't kill me. Have you ever tried it?
Oh yeah, I use google all the time.

And don't call me Shirley!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

matt a: you seem to be missing the point. It's not the every day customers that honestly don't know what they are looking for(for the most part) that people complain about and make fun of...unless they're jerks and full of themselves.

What the discussion is about is more about the people that come into the stores with no respect or are just full of themselves, and then have no clue.

For instance, the woman going into Hollister(a crappy clothing line for teens-mid 20's clones). She didn't know what she wanted, but she went into the store and tokk the girl above and beyond what a minimum wage associate should be doing in an OTC retail store. Like the girl said, it's not Saks or some high end store where the associates are actually sales people.

Yes, there are a few people that complain about people just not knowing what they want or how to ask for it, but for the most part it's about customer arrogance and stupidity. Not lack of experience with whatever it is they want.

Here's a tip to would be consumers, don't treat the sales associates like dirt and don't act for a second like you are better than them. It's very apparant to the person helping you out if they have an IQ above 87 and they will likely make up their mind that they want to harm you.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRealBen
matt a: you seem to be missing the point. It's not the every day customers that honestly don't know what they are looking for(for the most part) that people complain about and make fun of...unless they're jerks and full of themselves.

What the discussion is about is more about the people that come into the stores with no respect or are just full of themselves, and then have no clue.

For instance, the woman going into Hollister(a crappy clothing line for teens-mid 20's clones). She didn't know what she wanted, but she went into the store and tokk the girl above and beyond what a minimum wage associate should be doing in an OTC retail store. Like the girl said, it's not Saks or some high end store where the associates are actually sales people.

Yes, there are a few people that complain about people just not knowing what they want or how to ask for it, but for the most part it's about customer arrogance and stupidity. Not lack of experience with whatever it is they want.

Here's a tip to would be consumers, don't treat the sales associates like dirt and don't act for a second like you are better than them. It's very apparant to the person helping you out if they have an IQ above 87 and they will likely make up their mind that they want to harm you.
Like I said above, I understand that some customers are just plain jerks. Those people would ____ me off too if I were in retail. But there are two sides to every story. What I am talking about is the growing trend for most sales people to have a really poor attitude toward ALL customers. When I go to a store (any store) I am always nice and friendly to the sales people. I never treat them as if they are less than me because I just don't believe in treating anyone like that. I usually know quite a lot about the item I am there to buy, but sometimes I might have questions. Sometimes the sales people are friendly and helpful, but sometimes they have an obvious attitude. You can usually spot the ones who are ____ed because you interrupted some deep non-work-related conversation they were having with a friend, or they simply don't feel like actually earning the money they are being paid. Like I said....two sides to everything.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
What I am talking about is the growing trend for most sales people to have a really poor attitude toward ALL customers...
Sometimes the sales people are friendly and helpful, but sometimes they have an obvious attitude. You can usually spot the ones who are ____ed because you interrupted some deep non-work-related conversation they were having with a friend, or they simply don't feel like actually earning the money they are being paid. Like I said....two sides to everything.
this mostly comes from near minimum wage, non-commision sales people, and their job makes them like this, lazy. If you see it from their point of view, They get paid $10 an hour to stand there, b.s.ing or they get paid $10 an hour to have a good chance of being _____ed at by their customers.

You may think "well, if they worked hard, their employeer will see that, and they'll make more money". Most retail is not like that. Usually your employeer to these retail stores let you know, "...after 12 months of working here, you'll be up for a review, where you can make up to $.50 more an hour. and if you play your cards right, after 3 years of service, and you'll be on your way to nights&weekend shift assistant manager where we start at a $23k annual salary."

If that was my future career path, i'd not give a crap, and i think most of you wouldn't either.

Most of us tip barista's 20% for a $5 latte, but we don't even think about tipping the guy who helps us buy our $500+ tv and wheel it out to our car. The argument of "already knowing what you're going to buy when you goto those places" means jack, because we've all been buying the same latte for 15 years now.

I personally think the public's perception of service people is outta wack.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I know what everyones talking about. I work at a video game store and I've listen to things you may not beleive but are true...

lady comes into the store and asks "Do you have Super mario for the Playstation?"
Old 04-30-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
this mostly comes from near minimum wage, non-commision sales people, and their job makes them like this, lazy. If you see it from their point of view, They get paid $10 an hour to stand there, b.s.ing or they get paid $10 an hour to have a good chance of being _____ed at by their customers.

You may think "well, if they worked hard, their employeer will see that, and they'll make more money". Most retail is not like that. Usually your employeer to these retail stores let you know, "...after 12 months of working here, you'll be up for a review, where you can make up to $.50 more an hour. and if you play your cards right, after 3 years of service, and you'll be on your way to nights&weekend shift assistant manager where we start at a $23k annual salary."

If that was my future career path, i'd not give a crap, and i think most of you wouldn't either.
I dunno...I guess I was raised with a different work ethic. My dad taught me that if someone is paying me, I should earn it. If I didn't feel the pay was worth it, I'd find a different job. I would never stay at a job and slack off on purpose because I felt I was under paid. People who develop that type of an attitude would probably be the same way if you gave them a $3 an hour raise.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i worked at a local business that was REALLY struggling for it's last year. it couldn't stock all of the shelves, and literally every other customer would come in and say:

"are you going out of business?"
"what's wrong with your store"
"where are my products that I always buy?"
"I'm not coming back here again, this is such a waste of my time."

The official answer I had to give was "No, we're just having distributing problems" or some similar b.s.

after hearing those everyday at least 20+ times a day, I really didn't care much anymore. The first few months I did, but when you got managers and a business owner not willing to be honest or fair with it's employees, they're going to dispise anyone trying to make you do more at your job, like customers.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was in EB games picking up crackdown a couple of months ago, and a guy asked why MICROSOFT dosen't make Crackdown or Halo for SONY. Hmmm, maybe because Microsoft dosen't want to support their competition?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a

I dunno...I guess I was raised with a different work ethic. My dad taught me that if someone is paying me, I should earn it. If I didn't feel the pay was worth it, I'd find a different job. I would never stay at a job and slack off on purpose because I felt I was under paid. People who develop that type of an attitude would probably be the same way if you gave them a $3 an hour raise.
We were raised on the same work ethic I'm sure, but you probably have a decent job right now, and are speaking hypothetically, huh?

I used to have a job where I made about what I deserved. I busted my ___ hard, never screwd around online, made my company priority #1, and always thought about how my company could do better and such.

Now I work for a foreign based company, don't get paid as much as I made near 10 years ago, and my employeer is ripping me off, because of the poor job market. But I have to stay. Why don't i "just get another job"? They're not out there. If this were the late 90s, then sure, there's no problem finding better or higher paying jobs.

I keep a second job, where I do work crummy retail, and I see little opprotunity for these people and so I understand where they are coming from. I wish employeers paid based on merit, and skills, but most of these people are only following corporate's guidelines for raises and promotions, that don't even keep up with inflation and cost of living.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

http://www.totse.com/en/bad_ideas/ka...om/164724.html
Old 04-30-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We were raised on the same work ethic I'm sure, but you probably have a decent job right now, and are speaking hypothetically, huh?

I used to have a job where I made about what I deserved. I busted my butt hard, never screwd around online, made my company priority #1, and always thought about how my company could do better and such.

Now I work for a foreign based company, don't get paid as much as I made near 10 years ago, and my employeer is ripping me off, because of the poor job market. But I have to stay. Why don't i "just get another job"? They're not out there. If this were the late 90s, then sure, there's no problem finding better or higher paying jobs.

I keep a second job, where I do work crummy retail, and I see little opprotunity for these people and so I understand where they are coming from. I wish employeers paid based on merit, and skills, but most of these people are only following corporate's guidelines for raises and promotions, that don't even keep up with inflation and cost of living.
I do have a good job now and I'm very thankful for it. But believe me, I've worked a lot of different jobs. I won't bore you with a long list of jobs I've had, but rest assured many of them were hard, dirty, manual labor jobs for minimum wage or very close to it.
I still think I see things a little differently. I'll use your present situation as an example. You said: "Now I work for a foreign based company, don't get paid as much as I made near 10 years ago, and my employeer is ripping me off, because of the poor job market. But I have to stay. Why don't i "just get another job"? They're not out there." First of all, I'm really sorry that you are in that situation. That sucks. Anyhow, the way I see it, if you can't leave to get another job because they simply aren't out there, than it sounds to me like you should be extra thankful that you have that job. Do you see what I mean? I'm not trying to sound like a hard @ss, but I do believe that if you accept a paycheck from someone, you should give 100%. Anything less is steeling, IMO. I'm not suggesting that you do that, but that's kinda the argument your posing here.

Quick Reply: Im tired of morons... (Working in Retail experiences)