Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: what do you think about the illegal immigration problem?
they should continue to come illegally
3.16%
stop it now and put up a wall
33.54%
send them all back
32.28%
allow more illegals
2.53%
give them a temporary visa status
22.15%
I don't care
6.33%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Immigration Reform

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Whether English is America's "national language" or its national "common and unifying language" was a question dominating the Senate immigration debate.

The Senate first voted 63-34 Thursday to designate English as the "national language" after lawmakers who led the effort said it would promote national unity.

But critics argued the move would prevent people with limited English from getting language assistance required by an executive order enacted under President Clinton.

So the Senate also voted 58-39 to make English the nation's "common and unifying language."

"We are trying to make an assimilation statement," said Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, one of two dozen senators who voted Thursday for both English proposals.

Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Oklahoma, disputed charges that making English the national language was racist or aimed at Spanish speakers. Eleven Democrats voted for his measure.

Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Colorado, offered the alternative. The only Republican to vote solely for Salazar's "common and unifying" language option was Sen. Pete Domenici of New Mexico, whose home state's constitution prohibits discrimination based on inability to speak, read or write English or Spanish.

Both provisions will be included in an immigration bill the Senate is expected to pass and send to conference with the House, where differences will be resolved.

I just read this!!! HA HA HA HA !!!!
Anybody else notice this?!!!
New mexico's constitution says you HAVE TO talk to people who cant understand you, and who you can't understand!!!! HA HA HA!!! and I thought New Mexico had a low population per square mile because of the terrain and climate...
Old 05-25-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a direct descendant of two LEGAL Mexican Immigrants, I strongly feel that all immigrants should have to adhere to the standards set forth by those that are already American Citizens. My mother and father came here the right way, met here and then i came into existance. My mother has been a hard worker her entire life as was my father who also fought in the Navy during Vietnam. And there are plenty of others who have been and continue to follow our laws on immigration. There should not be any excuses made for those which as their first act in our country, break the law. Just because things are tough elsewhere, breaking the law should not be allowed. If any one of us who were born here or are officially legally here fall back on our bills and payments, we can't just simply rob a bank because things got tough. So why should anyone else be allowed to break our laws beacuse things are tough? Build the wall and as we find those that are already here illegally, send them back on a case by case basis where it is practical to do so. In the event of an illegal breaking other laws, immediate deportation. That's how I feel. I voted build a wall. If I could have voted twice, my second vote would have been to send them back.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by JMD83
Build the wall and as we find those that are already here illegally, send them back on a case by case basis where it is practical to do so. In the event of an illegal breaking other laws, immediate deportation. That's how I feel. I voted build a wall. If I could have voted twice, my second vote would have been to send them back.
good points but who would decide what is "practical"? Yeah everyone's case is different but who determines who stays and who goes? That would cause more issues but if nobody can agree on this.. how could anyone agree on which "illegal person" can stay or should leave???
Old 05-26-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think people should a get out of jail free card cuz they may have negligent. I saw one girl from Korea wants citizenship cuz she's in college and can't get a drivers liscense. My wife has come here legitimately and she doesn't agree with free citizenship. She did it by the book. So should everyone else.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

How did this turn into people wanting "free" citizenship? There are groups that want everything handed to them.. but then again.. who are the majority of people on welfare and receiving some type of government help? People who think having 5 children will keep them from working just because they qualify for food stamps and programs like childcare and housing? Should thouse "legal" people be kicked out of the US because they are trying to live off of the government? Which.. if you didn't know this.. most people who are here ilegally do get deductions on their paychecks and they can't use any of the benefits that "we" all do?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Funny thing is, people complain about illegal immigrant's taking job's but I can bet the people that do the complaining wouldn't even think once to work those job's. But hey who care's right. Know one complains about thousand's of indian's that got murdered for this land. But then again if it wasn't for the slaughter majorityof the population wouldn't be here. So why complain about something you benefited from. Put yourself in there shoe's and I guarantee you would be willing to die for the freedom and oppurtunities that the United States offer's.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I would like to give them that chance!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tru tho, Illegals have made Americans lazy. I can't argue with that.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put yourself in there shoe's and I guarantee you would be willing to die for the freedom and oppurtunities that the United States offer's. [sic]
I'm one of those who was "willing to die for the freedom and opportunities that the United States offers." ("...the noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body between his loved home and war's desolation.") I spent my time in the military, indeed in a war zone, to guarantee for you your right to speak out in freedom.

My first 'real' jobs were those now being filled by by illegal aliens: I did field labor, I picked beans and berries, I cleaned dishes, pots and pans, tables and floors in a restaurant. I did those until I learned enough, became educated enough, to do physically easier, mentally harder, higher paying jobs.

I enjoyed my time as a bus boy and general cleanup person, the last person to leave the restaurant after washing all the tables and chairs, and mopping the floors. I enjoyed my time as a grunt in the military, and eventually as an NCO (I did not enjoy loosing those I was responsible for in war - they still haunt me).

Yeah, illegal aliens do hard work for low pay, but often times because that is all they are qualified to do. If they were rocket scientists it would be different, eh?

Lets face it, most of those folks couldn't even make it as used car salesmen 'cause they don't even learn to speak our common language, English.

Those low paying manual labor jobs with no benefits and miserable conditions are often that way precisely because those in them dare not complain because they are illegals. If those field labor jobs, for example, were only offered to folks legally here, and the hours limited, wages raised, and minimum benefits guaranteed, it would indeed raise costs to all other Americans.

Thing is, doubling the wages of the folks who pick your produce, for example, would raise the cost of an average family's produce by only about $80 a year.

OK, enough of that. I've written and referred to all of that before, and it makes no difference to people who already have their minds made up without ever having been there.

The recent immigration bill passed by our US senate is a $54 BILLION give-away. Not only does it move folks here illegally to the head of the line and grant them citizenship before those who have followed our laws (!) it even allows for them to collect 'back benefits' for all the benefits they missed that are guaranteed to citizens. Nice reward system for breaking the laws, eh?

I've already written to both of my senators (who both voted FOR that bill), expressing my disgust at their voting for such poor legislation. One, so far, has replied, unapologetic and patting herself on the back for her personal additions to the bill that would help illegals in my state. She's up for re-election soon, and I have informed her that even though I voted for her before, I will be working actively to elect someone else.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't just make faces and complain about things I feel are wrong, I've always worked to correct them in whatever small ways I can. Right now, this government needs to understand that the most important job of ANY government is to protect it's citizens. Our form of government, a democratic republic, is formed specifically for that task.

Finally, to bring this overly long diatribe to a close, this is Memorial Day Weekend. For those of you who have even the slightest glimmering what it is about (other than 'first extended drunk of the summer season'), please allow me to mention one who is in my mind: ALAN DENNIS CURTIS.

To know a bit more, please see my blog entry: http://www.tijil.org/blog/?p=13

Thank you,
Old 05-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, one more thing.

This is the United States Memorial Day Weekend, so here is a more fitting image of rememberence and honor to counter foreign flags being waved.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ty for bringing that last photo back....it cost some folk their careers.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Funny thing is, people complain about illegal immigrant's taking job's but I can bet the people that do the complaining wouldn't even think once to work those job's. But hey who care's right. Know one complains about thousand's of indian's that got murdered for this land. But then again if it wasn't for the slaughter majorityof the population wouldn't be here. So why complain about something you benefited from. Put yourself in there shoe's and I guarantee you would be willing to die for the freedom and oppurtunities that the United States offer's. "

Fact is that by far most Indians died from disease that the whites brought over.
Fact iis that slaughters occured between Indian tribes.
Fact is that there is no mexican race. Mexicans are a few hundred years of mixing spanish, french, african and various indian groups.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the people that hire these illegal immigrants should be held accountable. It should be a felony since they are assisting criminals. Prison time for those who give illegals jobs.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, those few employers who are caught flagrantly hiring illegal aliens usually just say "Gee! I didn't know they weren't legal - they all gave me (fake) Social Security numbers!" and nothing happens to them other than losing their employee and not having to pay them...

Those few that the government can prove should have known usually get a $250 fine. Whoopie!

Currently we have somewhere in excess of 12,000,000 illegal aliens running about working for next to nothing and collecting benefits paid for by and for others. There are fewer than 100 INS folks with the job of tracking them down. Obviously it isn't going to happen, eh? Heck, there are over 8,000 new ones hiding here EVERY DAY.

If nothing else, we need to enforce our existing laws before even considering new ones.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HISPANIC LEADERS SPEAK OUT!

Gloria Molina, Los Angeles County Supervisor. "We are politicizing every single one of these new citizens that are becoming citizens of this country ... I gotta tell you that a lot of people are saying, 'I'm going to go out there and vote because I want to pay them back.'"

Art Torres, Chairman of the California Democratic Party. "Remember 187 (proposition to deny taxpayer funds for services to non-citizens) was the last gasp of white America in California."

Richard Alatorre, Los Angeles City Council. "They're afraid we're going to take over the governmental institutions and other institutions. They're right. We will take them over ... We are here to stay."

Augustin Cebada, Brown Berets. "Go back to Boston! Go back to Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims! Get out! We are the future. You are old and tired. Go on. We have beaten you. Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die ... Through love of having children, we are going to take over."

Excelsior, the national newspaper of Mexico. "The American Southwest seems to be slowly returning to the jurisdiction of Mexico without firing a single shot."

Professor Jose Angel Gutierrez, University of Texas. "We have an aging white America. They are not making babies. They are dying. The explosion is in our population ... I love it. They are ******* in their pants with fear. I love it."

Mario Obledo, California Coalition of Hispanic Organizations and California State Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare under Governor Jerry Brown, also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Bill Clinton. "California is going to be a Hispanic state. Anyone who doesn't like it should leave."

Jose Pescador Osuna, Mexican Consul General. "We are practicing 'La Reconquista' in California."

Professor Fernando Guerra, Loyola Marymount University. "We need to avoid a white backlash by using codes understood by Latinos ... "

Are these just the words of a few extremists? Consider that we could fill up many pages with such quotes. Also, consider that these are mainstream Mexican leaders.

The U.S. vs MEXICO: On February 15, 1998, the U.S. and Mexican soccer teams met at the Los Angeles Coliseum. The crowd was overwhelmingly pro-Mexican even though most lived in this country. They booed during the National Anthem and U.S. Flags were held upside down. As the match progressed, supporters of the U.S. Team were insulted, pelted with projectiles, punched and spat upon. Beer and trash were thrown at the U.S. Players before and after the match. The coach of the U.S. Team, Steve Sampson said, "This was the most painful experience I have ever had in this profession."

Corporate America has signed on to the idea that minorities and third world immigrants should get special, privileged status. Some examples are Exxon, Texaco, Merrill Lynch, Boeing, Paine Weber, Starbucks and many more.

WHEN I WAS YOUNG: When I was young, I remember hearing about the immigrants that came through Ellis Island. They wanted to learn English. They wanted to breath free. They wanted to become Americans. Now too many immigrants come here with demands. They demand to be taught in their own language. They demand special privileges -- affirmative action. They demand ethnic studies that glorify their culture.

HOW CAN YOU HELP: Send copies of this letter to at least two other people, 100 would be even better. Help us get the word out.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcity40
ty for bringing that last photo back....it cost some folk their careers.
People lost their careers because they took/published a very poignant (yet embarrising to the current administration)photo.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Norma
How did this turn into people wanting "free" citizenship? There are groups that want everything handed to them.. but then again.. who are the majority of people on welfare and receiving some type of government help? People who think having 5 children will keep them from working just because they qualify for food stamps and programs like childcare and housing? Should thouse "legal" people be kicked out of the US because they are trying to live off of the government? Which.. if you didn't know this.. most people who are here ilegally do get deductions on their paychecks and they can't use any of the benefits that "we" all do?
This turned into people wanting "free" citizenship because that is what they want- to be granted AMNESTY for their crimes and given citizenship so that they can stay here.

Your saying that illegal immigrants who are working in the fields everyday are better than welfare moms who are citizens because they WORK?

Welfare moms are a shame, that is true- but they (as citizens of the US) are OUR BURDEN + OUR PROBLEM.

Citizens of another country that enter and remain in the USA illegally are not OUR BURDEN + NOT OUR PROBLEM.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JESSR
Funny thing is, people complain about illegal immigrant's taking job's but I can bet the people that do the complaining wouldn't even think once to work those job's. But hey who care's right. Know one complains about thousand's of indian's that got murdered for this land. But then again if it wasn't for the slaughter majorityof the population wouldn't be here.
Put yourself in there shoe's and I guarantee you would be willing to die for the freedom and oppurtunities that the United States offer's.
Here's a clue about punctuation: http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~olson/pms/apostrophe.html

You would lose that bet, as there are plenty of unemployed people who would work legally at those jobs, were they not taken but illegals getting less than legal amounts of pay.

I am willing to bet that zero INDIANS were killed in the Manifest Destiny implementation.
The term Indian is commonly thought to have been born of the misconception by Christopher Columbus that the Caribbean islands were the islands in Southeast Asia known to Europeans as the Indies, which he had hoped to reach by sailing West. Even though Columbus's mistake was soon recognized, the name stuck, and for centuries the native people of the Americas were collectively called Indians.

The name has fallen out of use in the dominant culture of the West in the last few decades; partly because it belongs naturally to the natives or nationals of India, and so its other use was inherently ambiguous.
People have killed for land (and far less) for thousands of years; what the Europeans did the the populance here was horrid, but nowhere near original. Take, for example, much of the culture and language of Latin America.

Latin. America. Where did Latin come from? That's right....... not anywhere in the Americas!

Much of the "colonization" of the Lower Americas wiped out massive amounts of people, introduced new diseases, forced entire generations of people to learn a new language(spanish- which comes from Spain, by the way), and changed much about the way people lived, worked, and............ had babies.

Mestizos are thought to make up the majority of the populations of Chile1 (>90%), Colombia (58%), Ecuador (65%), El Salvador (90%), Honduras2 (90%), Mexico2 (60%), Nicaragua (69%), Panama2 (70%), Paraguay (95%) and Venezuela (67%).
In other American countries where mestizos do not constitute a majority, they nonetheless represent a significant portion of their populations; Argentina3 (approx. 13%), Belize (44%), Bolivia (30%), Peru (37%), and Uruguay3 (8%).
But really: ..why complain about something you benefited from.

Put yourself in there shoe's and I guarantee you would be willing to die for the freedom and oppurtunities that the United States offer's.
See, there's where you're making a mistake. I sympathize with anyone who wants to come to the USA to better their lives. Honestly- I truly do.

However, if you come into the US illegally, I have no pity for you- you are an INVADER, a TRESPASSER, and UNWANTED.

Oh, and one more thing- you had the wrong flag posted, it should be this one:

Old 05-29-2006, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hell YEAH!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup.

Just like the marchers on May First chanting in a foreign language, carrying a foreign flag and demanding "rights" they have NO right to, who left their jobs and marched in the middle of streets across the United States with the avowed purpose of negatively affecting as many businesses and people as possible: Taking us to task and posting a huge foreign flag in this discussion is almost assured to turn the civilized discussion in a negative direction.

Hopefully this topic will head back on track as a reasoned discussion now...

Tomas

Quick Reply: Immigration Reform