Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: what do you think about the illegal immigration problem?
they should continue to come illegally
3.16%
stop it now and put up a wall
33.54%
send them all back
32.28%
allow more illegals
2.53%
give them a temporary visa status
22.15%
I don't care
6.33%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Immigration Reform

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaimecosio
Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
well if i remeber correctly the terrorists who did it the last time had student visas.......

that irritates me too, they need to really crack down on student visas, alot of foreign terrorists are actually american educated, or have spend some time in the U.S.

as for who i would prefer, i would prefer documented workers, in fact we get immigration sweeps weekly on our farms, and i think they only found one illegal in the last 9 monthes, and at any given time we have about 1200 workers working our fields.
you must say thanks to those illegals because you are driving a scion tc with
all the money that you save yourself paying minumun wages to those guys

Why? that has NOTHING to do with what I do or what I drive, i dont farm, i said my family does.........

and BTW we dont have illegals working our feilds, we have documented citizens, how they got that it does not matter, and most of them make 8.00 an hour, work 8 hour days and get the same rights as most other workers in the US. so before you go making statments about my life be sure you know what your talking about, or who you are talking about.
My family treats its workers with respect, and dignitiy, not like the slave drivers who you are refering to. we use government approved labor contractors, and half our people work indoors, most of our crops are automated and have equipment to work them.

not all farms are run like you think......
Old 03-30-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Originally Posted by InjentC23
Originally Posted by Prock2305
It's lame that people are protesting. I think its lame that illegals come in and set up shop and take jobs away from US citizens
How many US citizens do you see trying to get jobs picking strawberries and oranges or trying to wash dishes at mcdonalds? People use that same lame a$$ excuse all the time to say that immigrants or lets just say who this topic is about- mexicans, take all our jobs. They work their a$$es off doing the jobs that 95% of Americans don't even wanna do. So if all of you wanna deport all the mexicans go ahead, but don't start complaining when our country goes into a recession cause no one will do all the jobs that mexicans had taken away from americans to begin with.
Before all the foreign citizens who entered this country illegally picked strawberries, we still had strawberries to eat. Do you think people never ate fruit/veggies before illegal workers picked them for us? Look at what Australia has done regarding their labor shortage out in the fields...automation.

Did you know that if lettuce was picked by workers earning $10/hr, the average head of lettuce would raise in price by 2 cents? TWO CENTS. I would have no problem paying a few pennies more for my food knowing that border security was increased because of it.

I know (for fact) that if thet paid field workers a living wage, plenty of Americans would do the work.

one thing that has been considered is using low risk convicts to do the farm work, it has been proposed and would actually not cost the tax payers anything more then the addition of more guards.

BTW, you mention automation, all our crops are automated, it cost my father 8 million dollars to make all 4 of his farms completley automated, they can go year round now, and the guy that rides the tractors make 18.00 an hour. its actually pretty cool, its GPS controlled, and all he does it makes sure it does not hit anything, the rest of our workers work to unload the equipment using automated equipment, it think the only time someone actually "picks" anything is if it falls out of the truck.....

farming with federal grants are making it possible to make the corporate farms effiecient and require less manual labor.

thought i would share since some of you dont have a clue about advancements in agriculture and think that we farmers use mexicans as yard tools. NOT all farms are that way
Old 03-30-2006, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

To bad there isn't an option to Send them all back AND put up a wall too... Wonder how long it will be before our natural resources get consumed from being over populated. No wonder China is strict on how many kids you can have.

I'm not that harsh, but one thing I would like to say is....IF they are going to stay, it should be MANDITORY for them to learn English! We should not be forced to learn Spanish just so they can coexist here. They should learn English to coexist with English speaking America.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I'm not that harsh, but one thing I would like to say is....IF they are going to stay, it should be MANDITORY for them to learn English! We should not be forced to learn Spanish just so they can coexist here. They should learn English to coexist with English speaking America.
Did you know that Americans (in general) can only speak (and that is sometimes stretching the meaning of the word) one language? Every other country I have traveled in, the natives spoke AT LEAST two languages and most more than 3. Just some food for thought.

Anyone can speak anything they want as far as I am concerned. Its when they break the law ( ILLEGAL alien) that I become concerned.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
...one thing that has been considered is using low risk convicts to do the farm work, it has been proposed and would actually not cost the tax payers anything more then the addition of more guards.

BTW, you mention automation, all our crops are automated, it cost my father 8 million dollars to make all 4 of his farms completley automated, they can go year round now, and the guy that rides the tractors make 18.00 an hour. its actually pretty cool, its GPS controlled, and all he does it makes sure it does not hit anything, the rest of our workers work to unload the equipment using automated equipment, it think the only time someone actually "picks" anything is if it falls out of the truck.....
YES!! Get those jailbirds working so they EARN their keep, rather than continue to cost us $$$.

But if illegal immigrants won't pick our produce or bus our tables won't our prices go up? The answer is simple: Yes.

But wages would also go up, and even faster than housing or food prices. And CEO salaries, and corporate profits, might moderate back to the levels they were during the "golden age of the American middle class" between the 1940s and Reagans declaration of war on the middle class in the 1980s.

We saw exactly this scenario played out in the US fifty years ago, when unions helped regulate entry into the workforce, 35 percent of American workers had a union job, and 70 percent of Americans could raise a family on a single, 40-hour-week paycheck. All working Americans would gladly pay a bit more for their food if their paychecks were both significantly higher and more secure. (This would even allow for an increase in the minimum wage - as it did from the 1930s to the 1980s.)
Old 03-30-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excellent, non-biased and fair site regarding immigration:

http://www.cis.org/whats_new.html
Old 03-30-2006, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think in tucson the sherrif thier uses inmate labor, and it works quite well, to most inmates it is a perk to be able to go out and work.

I think if they do end up making it a felony, then they should sentance the people are here illegal to work the crops for thier entire sentence, it would actually be a feasable plan
Old 03-30-2006, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you know that Americans (in general) can only speak (and that is sometimes stretching the meaning of the word) one language? Every other country I have traveled in, the natives spoke AT LEAST two languages and most more than 3. Just some food for thought.

Anyone can speak anything they want as far as I am concerned. Its when they break the law ( ILLEGAL alien) that I become concerned.
It is great to know one more language. HOWEVER, in my country I should not have to speak anything else but one, ENGLISH in this country. THis holds especially true in the USA, where we have thousands of ethnic groups. A single language unites a country , english is spoken here nothing else.
In the process of assimilation which many mexican illegals refuse to do, ENGLISH should be mandatory.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vegasdriver

It is great to know one more language. HOWEVER, in my country I should not have to speak anything else but one, ENGLISH in this country. THis holds especially true in the USA, where we have thousands of ethnic groups. A single language unites a country , english is spoken here nothing else.
In the process of assimilation which many mexican illegals refuse to do, ENGLISH should be mandatory.
Whoa... English is spoken here and nothing else? I don't know what country you are living in but in the US, English is de facto standard and NOT mandatory. Here is the list of States that has English as an official language though:

# Alabama
# Alaska
# Arkansas
# California
# Colorado
# Florida
# Georgia
# Hawaii (with Hawaiian language)
# Illinois
# Indiana
# Iowa
# Kentucky
# Massachusetts
# Mississippi
# Montana
# Nebraska
# New Hampshire
# New Mexico (with Spanish)
# North Carolina
# North Dakota
# Puerto Rico (with Spanish)
# South Carolina
# South Dakota
# Tennessee
# Utah
# Virginia
# Wyoming

Have you tried learning other language when you are older? You can't blame the people who doesn't speak any English because it is that much harder to learn the new language when you are older. Many businesses see the need and employs multi-lingual employees to cater these group. So can you blame them?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Same here...but I draw the line when you open a business, apply for a job, work with English speaking customers/co-workers, in times of emergency...

You get the point. Americans are flooding other countries trying to force those people to speak English (not to mention they probably already do), they took care of that stuff back in the Columbus days when they forced people to learn English. It should be Mandatory if we are to coexist together.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by daramg
Have you tried learning other language when you are older? You can't blame the people who doesn't speak any English because it is that much harder to learn the new language when you are older. Many businesses see the need and employs multi-lingual employees to cater these group. So can you blame them?

And a program should be put in place to learn English for those who are LEGAL. Hell, they use our tax money for other stupid crap anyways, at least in this case it would actually benefit us in return, as we would have to talk to them sloooowwww...and LOUD like they are DEAF, less often.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a program, to get your citizenship you have to take classes...........and one of them is learning english, and us history
Old 03-30-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't HAVE TO take the class... There is a sample question that you just need to read before the interview. Also, if you lived in this country for more than 20 years before the naturalization... you can bring a translator to the interview room. ;-)
Old 03-30-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jeffrgunn23
I am not trying to be rude, but can some one explain all of the Mexican flags at the protests. It would seem to me that all the protests are because these people want to stay in the U.S.. If that is the case then why arn't they waving American flags. I just seems hypocritical.
That's in case they have to wipe their ****!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ISmokeGuys
Originally Posted by daramg

And a program should be put in place to learn English for those who are LEGAL. Hell, they use our tax money for other stupid crap anyways, at least in this case it would actually benefit us in return, as we would have to talk to them sloooowwww...and LOUD like they are DEAF, less often.
So... what's wrong with talking loud and clear?

And.. who are "they" are you referring to? How are "they" use YOUR tax money for other stupid crap? If they are legal, aren't they also tax-paying citizens as well? When hearing "using our tax money for other stupid crap", i think of invasion of Iraq....

I am not trying to pick a fight with you but from this thread, i am convinced that the issue is the race, not the illegal immigration.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say send them all back, every single one of them.

Let whitey pick his own strawberries and we'll see how long it takes for them to start crying, "bring them back! please let them in, my back hurts!"
Old 03-30-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the illegals should have to serve in the military for a minimum of two years, and then its all good.

Saying this, I have worked with many people that were not here legally and became friends with all of them. Should we send them back? An impossible task and yes many are working very well at their jobs. For some it may be an issue of race. But I do think we should make it much harder for ANYBODY to mooch off of the system.
two cents
Old 03-30-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think for some people its one in the same..........they dont even acknowlege other races that are being implicated.

i dont like leeches of any nationality, ever been to a trailer park, i dislike those people as much as people who are illegals, i guess im an elitist, i will say that......and im socioeconmically predjudice too.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fastandcurious

Let whitey pick his own strawberries and we'll see how long it takes for them to start crying, "bring them back! please let them in, my back hurts!"
It wont be "whitey" thats crying...just the republicans and CEO's at WalMart.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fastandcurious

It wont be "whitey" thats crying...just the republicans and CEO's at WalMart.
Walmart only has one CEO.

Quick Reply: Immigration Reform