Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: what do you think about the illegal immigration problem?
they should continue to come illegally
3.16%
stop it now and put up a wall
33.54%
send them all back
32.28%
allow more illegals
2.53%
give them a temporary visa status
22.15%
I don't care
6.33%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Immigration Reform

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by fastandcurious
I say send them all back, every single one of them.

Let whitey pick his own strawberries and we'll see how long it takes for them to start crying, "bring them back! please let them in, my back hurts!"
How about letting the LEGAL immigrants pick the straberries so whitey doesn't have to spend so much on healthcare. The strawberry savings just don't add up. Just for grins, do a little research on how much money the US government WASTES every year printing forms in spanish also. This cost alone would offset the savings lost on agriculture. I know damn well if I was planning to move to another country I would certainly learn their language. It's really hard to justify illegal immigration no matter how ignorant one is. It is not every Mexicans birthright to illegally immigrate to the US no matter what they teach in the Republic of Kalifornias school system.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it should be pointed out, since it sounds like a couple people in this discussion have their noses a little out of joint....THIS LAW DOESN'T JUST APPLY TO HISPANICS...nowhere in that law does it say "IF YOU'RE HISPANIC AND YOU'RE HERE ILLEGALLY, IT WILL BE A FELONY" you show me where it says that in the said law and I'll shut my mouth. That law applies to ANYBODY that's here illegally, whether they're Mexican or French of Italian or Canadian or Arabic or or or...I could go on and on.

And speaking of having to know English, yes, I think it should be required. I don't feel it's fair to our children in school...they fall behing or are neglected because the teachers are trying to teach other students English. Also, when those children are grown up, and go out to get jobs, they have the potential of getting a better job because they're bilingual. Well, why not teach those children and DON"T speak a second language, how to speak a second language...they should have the same opportunity.

It isn't impossible to learn how to speak a different languge once you start getting older. I learned a new language when I was 22, my mother learned a new language when she was 50. It is hard...but not impossible. If you have the patience, will, desire and perseverance, it can be done.

My two cents.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
How about letting the LEGAL immigrants pick the straberries so whitey doesn't have to spend so much on healthcare. The strawberry savings just don't add up. Just for grins, do a little research on how much money the US government WASTES every year printing forms in spanish also. This cost alone would offset the savings lost on agriculture. I know damn well if I was planning to move to another country I would certainly learn their language. It's really hard to justify illegal immigration no matter how ignorant one is. It is not every Mexicans birthright to illegally immigrate to the US no matter what they teach in the Republic of Kalifornias school system.
since when did the word "immigrant" become synonymous with the spanish language? sounds like you need to do some research as well.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jenn85345
I think it should be pointed out, since it sounds like a couple people in this discussion have their noses a little out of joint....THIS LAW DOESN'T JUST APPLY TO HISPANICS...nowhere in that law does it say "IF YOU'RE HISPANIC AND YOU'RE HERE ILLEGALLY, IT WILL BE A FELONY" you show me where it says that in the said law and I'll shut my mouth. That law applies to ANYBODY that's here illegally, whether they're Mexican or French of Italian or Canadian or Arabic or or or...I could go on and on.

And speaking of having to know English, yes, I think it should be required. I don't feel it's fair to our children in school...they fall behing or are neglected because the teachers are trying to teach other students English. Also, when those children are grown up, and go out to get jobs, they have the potential of getting a better job because they're bilingual. Well, why not teach those children and DON"T speak a second language, how to speak a second language...they should have the same opportunity.

It isn't impossible to learn how to speak a different languge once you start getting older. I learned a new language when I was 22, my mother learned a new language when she was 50. It is hard...but not impossible. If you have the patience, will, desire and perseverance, it can be done.

My two cents.
Agree with you on the first point. I have been trying to say that all along but somehow this conversation has gotten into white vs. Mexican.... I know a lot of Asians and Europeans come to the US illegally via Canadian border.

Interesting thought about not allowing immigrant's children not to speak second language. Now, how are you going to enforce that? Funny you mentioned equal opportunity. Don't you think that these kids are learning English so that they can get equal opportunity when they graduate and get into workforce?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since when did the word "immigrant" become synonymous with the spanish language? sounds like you need to do some research as well.
If you look at any of the news stories dealing with protests all I see is Mexicans and Mexican flags. When it comes to the language issue, I personally have never had a problem with trying to communicate with anyone other than someone who spoke spainish and spainish only. The language barrier is abosolutley a "spainish" problem, all of the Asian immigriants that I talk to seem to speak English. I do however feel that its ones right to speak any language they wish and not be forced to speak English.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You live in LA and I live in Texas. Who's kidding who here?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-31-2006, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

But teaching children who have absolutely no English vocabulary I feel is unfair to the children who already know English. They very least children entering school should at least know the basics of English: knowing how to count to 10 in English, knowing the English alphabet, maybe even a few phrases: hello, hi, goodbye etc...And there I feel that all goes back on the parents. I'm not a parent, but if I was a parent and I had immigrated here from somewhere, the first thing I would do is to learn how to speak English. Children learn at home first, and I would want what is best for my child. When I entered kindergarten I knew the basic stuff a kindergartener should know: how to spell my name, my alphabet, and my numbers. But again, that's my opinion, it's obvious not everybody is in the same consensus. I agree completely that hispanic children or french children or whomever we're talking about, deserve just as much opportunity as any child who was born and raised here, but it's slowing the other children down who already have a concept of the English language, and I don't feel that's fair to them. In fact, while they're teaching those children how to speak the English language, why don't they have a second language class for the other children who already have a decent grasp on English?

And just for reference...nowhere in my last post did I say children "shouldn't be allowed" to speak a second language...immigrant or otherwise.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Or just teach them how to pick strawberries.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

borders change, "colors" don't. be honest you racist bastages.... you couldn't care less how many canadians, brits or australians "sneak" across the border; you just want no "darkies" who talk in a language you can't understand.

if the entire population of ireland/scandinavia/insertawhite ethnicityhere tried to come over here, you'd put them up and cook breakfast before they went out and looked for work.

funny thread but it just demonstrates ethnocentricity not national pride, ("not that there's anything wrong with that" in a seinfeld kinda way).

quit trying to be politically correct and call a spade a spade, or a spic, or wetback, or whatever other socially divisive name you freakin' neanderthals use.

i vote for a wall....a big ol' tall one to keep you folk in so you can't infect the rest of the planet.

/tongueincheek
Old 03-31-2006, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcity40
borders change, "colors" don't. be honest you racist bastages.... you couldn't care less how many canadians, brits or australians "sneak" across the border; you just want no "darkies" who talk in a language you can't understand.

if the entire population of ireland/scandinavia/insertawhite ethnicityhere tried to come over here, you'd put them up and cook breakfast before they went out and looked for work.

funny thread but it just demonstrates ethnocentricity not national pride, ("not that there's anything wrong with that" in a seinfeld kinda way).

quit trying to be politically correct and call a spade a spade, or a spic, or wetback, or whatever other socially divisive name you freakin' neanderthals use.

i vote for a wall....a big ol' tall one to keep you folk in so you can't infect the rest of the planet.

/tongueincheek
Old 03-31-2006, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jenn85345
But teaching children who have absolutely no English vocabulary I feel is unfair to the children who already know English. They very least children entering school should at least know the basics of English: knowing how to count to 10 in English, knowing the English alphabet, maybe even a few phrases: hello, hi, goodbye etc...And there I feel that all goes back on the parents. I'm not a parent, but if I was a parent and I had immigrated here from somewhere, the first thing I would do is to learn how to speak English. Children learn at home first, and I would want what is best for my child. When I entered kindergarten I knew the basic stuff a kindergartener should know: how to spell my name, my alphabet, and my numbers. But again, that's my opinion, it's obvious not everybody is in the same consensus. I agree completely that hispanic children or french children or whomever we're talking about, deserve just as much opportunity as any child who was born and raised here, but it's slowing the other children down who already have a concept of the English language, and I don't feel that's fair to them. In fact, while they're teaching those children how to speak the English language, why don't they have a second language class for the other children who already have a decent grasp on English?

And just for reference...nowhere in my last post did I say children "shouldn't be allowed" to speak a second language...immigrant or otherwise.

I took ESL class when I was learning English. It is a separate class that DOES NOT interfere with other English speaking children's schedule. I got "Satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory" grade in the classes until I was ready to compete with other classemates. I don't know how it was like where you grew up but I don't think ESL classes are slowing down other students who are fluent in English. That is at least true in big cities and places highly populated by immigrants.

I must have been mistaken on this comment: You wrote, "Well, why not teach those children and DON"T speak a second language, how to speak a second language...they should have the same opportunity. " Not sure what you meant here.. (maybe my English being the second language is kicking in....)
Old 03-31-2006, 10:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
This is why Mexico is unable to win any summer Olympic events.......any Mexicans that can run, jump and swim are HERE!

Ahem... World Baseball Classic...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

/tongueincheek
I don't think anybody here would put up a person from out of this country that wasn't supposed to be here, no matter the nationality. It's that "i don't know what it is" fear. If it's illegal, and it's not a vested interest of ours, usually we will leave it alone. That idea can be applied to anything. That's why hitchhiker's have to walk now. nobody picks them up, and they don't trust anybody who will.

The language we speak here is American. if You believe it to be english, then take a trip over there and see if you can understand them. I guaruntee you that it'll take a couple weeks to get the hang of it. They are similar, but not the same. I speak German fluently and I will not speak it here. Why? Because I'm in America. I don't care if you have a thick accent, but at least make the effort. Your speaking skills will improve over time. In an emergency, a lot of dispatchers don't know foreign languages, so you would really be in trouble. All they would have was your address and they wouldn't know what to send. They would send a police officer first, to check it out and then, if he found you, the fire truck/ambulance.

And if you believe that 'we' are an infection, maybe you should get as far away from 'us' as possible. I hear the bottom of the ocean is pretty far.
I like how you are all up in arms about racial discrimination when you are doing it yourself. Learn to think before you type.

This is a land of opportunity. Not a giant support group. If you want to make it here, you have to work. And you have to work hard. We all do. I've worked corn fields in Kansas. I've worked as a farm hand during summers, throwing hay, herding cattle, fixing fences... not easy. It's hard work and it's nice when the day is over and we would all sit down for a drink together. That's what America is built on. Clean hard work. Now, if you are doing all of this, but you are taking the job from someone who is legal to work here, and you have illegally entered our country, you need to leave.

I have no personal hatred of illegal immigrants, as i know quite a few and we are friendly. We don't have lunch together, but we are neighbors. I tell them that if they want to be part of our society, they need to contribute. They ask what they need to contribute, isn't working enough? I tell them no, there is more to America than just working. We support and shape our government. We care about what happens to ourselves as a people. We want people that enjoy freedom, but live by laws that are fair and just. We actually want the loudmouth jerks too, though I could do without them. By disrespecting our laws they disrespect the country as a whole.

If illegal immigrants want their voice heard by our government, they should file a grievance with their government against us. I'm sure it will get it's due consideration. They have no legal standing here and deserve none. It's not a secret on how to become a U.S. citizen. Go through the process. It's long and annoying, but it's there for a reason. If it's not worth it to you, well, i guess that just solved your problem.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
i think in tucson the sherrif thier uses inmate labor, and it works quite well, to most inmates it is a perk to be able to go out and work.

I think if they do end up making it a felony, then they should sentance the people are here illegal to work the crops for thier entire sentence, it would actually be a feasable plan
All over the state of Arizona Inmates WORK ,some at the prison some are bussed to fields to pick,picking up trash on the hwys., schools use them for maintinence and landscaping,any municipality can use low risk inmates..................

It's a good thing to make them work for their room & board, 3 HOTS AND A COT as they say inside
wingsaseagles
Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote] I don't think anybody here would put up a person from out of this country that wasn't supposed to be here, no matter the nationality. It's that "i don't know what it is" fear. If it's illegal, and it's not a vested interest of ours, usually we will leave it alone. That idea can be applied to anything. That's why hitchhiker's have to walk now. nobody picks them up, and they don't trust anybody who will.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

/tongueincheek
Someone has a chip on their sombrero.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-31-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone has a chip on their sombrero.

Har Har... Since we're all being superficial imbeciles here... You look like a moron in your avatar.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Cute enough to get a date with your mom though!

Quick Reply: Immigration Reform