Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: what do you think about the illegal immigration problem?
they should continue to come illegally
3.16%
stop it now and put up a wall
33.54%
send them all back
32.28%
allow more illegals
2.53%
give them a temporary visa status
22.15%
I don't care
6.33%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Immigration Reform

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
Spoken like a true liberal without much experience under his belt.
If you couldn't tell, your comments now have little merit in this conversation.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BSP_5c10n
Oh and just in case you idiots forgot... We are a country of immigrants. We always have been since colonial times. You think everyone spoke the same language when they first arrived here hundreds of years ago? People from all over Europe came here looking for the same thing that the immigrants of today are looking for... opportunity. So case freakin closed on that one.

Some of you people need to put yourself in the other person's shoes for once. Most of you all (including myself) have been fortunate enough to be born here in America. Imagine being born in a third world country where you risk starvation and other injustices. I'm sure you'd be on the first boat/van/raft/truck over here. I can't believe how ill informed some of you people are.
I don't know where you grew up, but my life has been no picnic. Most Americans that were born here, that I know, are not fortunate. They have worked hard to get where they are at. Their immigrant parents/grandparents/great-grandparents/etc... have worked hard to provide better for their children so that this isn't a 3rd world country. We were given nothing and turned it into everything. And now people want what America has, but they want it for free. they want to walk in and take it. No. America is for Americans. If you don't want to follow our rules about immigration, then you need to fix your third world country. Come to school here with student visas and learn business or engineering. we encourage that sort of thing with scholorships for foreign students. take that knowledge back with you and prosper in your own country. But if you're not going to follow our laws, why should we recognize your existence in our society. why shouldn't we deport, jail, or fine you? that's what we do with any other law that is broken by someone in this country.

Our language evolves, but it is most decidedly American. It is a mixture of everything. That's why I refuse to call it english. We have french, spanish, german, italian, english, et al... in our language. Insisting that our language doesn't exist is not only sophomoric, but it's without basis. You apparently seem to be the misinformed one.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ I have no idea how anyone can argue with that statment. Well said.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xlr8tC
Oh and just in case you idiots forgot... We are a country of immigrants. We always have been since colonial times. You think everyone spoke the same language when they first arrived here hundreds of years ago? People from all over Europe came here looking for the same thing that the immigrants of today are looking for... opportunity. So case freakin closed on that one.

Some of you people need to put yourself in the other person's shoes for once. Most of you all (including myself) have been fortunate enough to be born here in America. Imagine being born in a third world country where you risk starvation and other injustices. I'm sure you'd be on the first boat/van/raft/truck over here. I can't believe how ill informed some of you people are.
I don't know where you grew up, but my life has been no picnic. Most Americans that were born here, that I know, are not fortunate. They have worked hard to get where they are at. Their immigrant parents/grandparents/great-grandparents/etc... have worked hard to provide better for their children so that this isn't a 3rd world country. We were given nothing and turned it into everything. And now people want what America has, but they want it for free. they want to walk in and take it. No. America is for Americans. If you don't want to follow our rules about immigration, then you need to fix your third world country. Come to school here with student visas and learn business or engineering. we encourage that sort of thing with scholorships for foreign students. take that knowledge back with you and prosper in your own country. But if you're not going to follow our laws, why should we recognize your existence in our society. why shouldn't we deport, jail, or fine you? that's what we do with any other law that is broken by someone in this country.

Our language evolves, but it is most decidedly American. It is a mixture of everything. That's why I refuse to call it english. We have french, spanish, german, italian, english, et al... in our language. Insisting that our language doesn't exist is not only sophomoric, but it's without basis. You apparently seem to be the misinformed one.
Actually I agree with everything you said, except the part where I said our language doesn't exist. I never said that. And anyone who was born in this country IS fortunate, because America gives you that chance to work hard and make something of yourself. Many other countries do not give you this chance. That's why they (immigrants) come here.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh by the way... For all you conservative flag-wavers out there... It's BUSH that wants to grant amnesty to the illegal immigrants.
he is not granting amnesty, he is setting up a guest worker program and a citizenship program that is more streamlined. amnesty is a pardon BTW
Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Kilo6_one"]
Oh by the way... For all you conservative flag-wavers out there... It's BUSH that wants to grant amnesty to the illegal immigrants.
Have you ever considered WHY he (and his ilk) wants to grant amnesty?

Its so the rich can continue to get richer on the backs of illegal aliens. And in my opinion, that is exactly why amnesity will be coming to an illegal near you. It has nothing to do with border security or any of that jive.....it is about what EVERYTHING is ALWAYS about...money.
And here on Cesar Chavez day, I wonder how many people REALLY understand what he was about. The reason why thirty years ago United Farm Workers' Union (UFW) founder Caesar Chávez fought against illegal immigration, and the UFW turned in illegals during his tenure as president, was because Chávez, like progressives since the 1870s, understood the simple reality that labor rises and falls in price as a function of availability.

As Wikipedia notes: "In 1969, Chávez and members of the UFW marched through the Imperial and Coachella Valley to the border of Mexico to protest growers' use of illegal aliens as temporary replacement workers during a strike. Joining him on the march were both the Reverend Ralph Abernathy and U.S. Senator Walter Mondale. Chávez and the UFW would often report suspected illegal aliens who served as temporary replacement workers as well as who refused to unionize to the INS."

It is a simple equation: More workers, lower wages. Fewer workers, higher wages.

I am sick of hearing about this crap about "Americans wont do the jobs illegals do".
Do a little math. The Bureau of Labor Statistics says there are 7.6 million unemployed Americans right now. Another 1.5 million Americans are no longer counted because they've become "long term" or "discouraged" unemployed workers. And although various groups have different ways of measuring it, most agree that at least another five to ten million Americans are either working part-time when they want to work full-time, or are "underemployed," doing jobs below their level of training, education, or experience. That's between eight and twenty million un- and under-employed Americans, many unable to find above-poverty-level work.
At the same time, there are between seven and fifteen million working illegal immigrants diluting our labor pool.

If illegal immigrants could no longer work, unions would flourish, the minimum wage would rise, and oligarchic nations to our south would have to confront and fix their corrupt ways.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

You know the thing is... If the incentives for illegal immigrants were taken away, then there wouldn't be illegal immigration. Instead of punishing the illegal immigrants, the people in America who brought them here, or are hiring them should be punished.

It's similar (although not exact) to the situation of African-Americans and slavery. Very few people had a problem with Africans being brought to the United States as slaves. However, once the abolitionist movement succeeded, these slaves were made free. No longer slaves, yet were denied the rights enjoyed by white Americans. Once they began to speak up during the Civil Rights movement, people had a problem with it. It's almost as if many of you are willing to look the other way when it comes to injustices in the world, until you feel threatened by it. It seems that you wouldn't have a problem with Mexicans being brought into the U.S. illegally, as long as you didn't have to "pay your tax money" for it.

Now, to refute any argument stating "Oh but the blacks were forced into coming here. The Mexicans are coming here on there own. It's different." Let me just say I am aware of this, however let me ask you this: If you were making 5 dollars a day in Mexico versus 60 across the border, wouldn't you feel almost forced to leave your country to find a job with enough pay to feed your family? I think you would.

Of course, you'd be okay with all this. Heck, they're doing the jobs you don't want to do. It's okay as long as you don't have to foot the bill for it. It's like "Well it doesn't affect me, so whatever." Well, now millions of illegals currently reside in the U.S., and now you feel it's affecting you. Well it's too late. And who is to blame? Not the illegal immigrants, but those who hired them and gave them incentive to come here.

Don't you DARE try to compare an Illegal immigrant from Mexico to Slavery....That is the most OBSURD comparison I have ever heard. Obviously you are not black, so you make a stupid comaprsion like that. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO HITTING THE MARK buddy.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
he is not granting amnesty, he is setting up a guest worker program and a citizenship program that is more streamlined. amnesty is a pardon BTW
The vote, on an amendment from Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), was the first of a series that would push the Senate in the next week to consider a guest-worker program and plans that would give permanent legal status to the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants now here.

In a heated demonstration of the GOP's rifts over immigration, conservative House members held a news conference to denounce any lawmaker who supported citizenship for undocumented immigrants. Legislation approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee would create a path for illegal immigrants to gain permanent legal status or citizenship. Critics say that would provide amnesty to those who had broken U.S. law.
I know what amnesty is. Whether or not the legislation grants amnesty is currently being debated in the Senate.[/quote]
Old 03-31-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
You know the thing is... If the incentives for illegal immigrants were taken away, then there wouldn't be illegal immigration. Instead of punishing the illegal immigrants, the people in America who brought them here, or are hiring them should be punished.

It's similar (although not exact) to the situation of African-Americans and slavery. Very few people had a problem with Africans being brought to the United States as slaves. However, once the abolitionist movement succeeded, these slaves were made free. No longer slaves, yet were denied the rights enjoyed by white Americans. Once they began to speak up during the Civil Rights movement, people had a problem with it. It's almost as if many of you are willing to look the other way when it comes to injustices in the world, until you feel threatened by it. It seems that you wouldn't have a problem with Mexicans being brought into the U.S. illegally, as long as you didn't have to "pay your tax money" for it.

Now, to refute any argument stating "Oh but the blacks were forced into coming here. The Mexicans are coming here on there own. It's different." Let me just say I am aware of this, however let me ask you this: If you were making 5 dollars a day in Mexico versus 60 across the border, wouldn't you feel almost forced to leave your country to find a job with enough pay to feed your family? I think you would.

Of course, you'd be okay with all this. Heck, they're doing the jobs you don't want to do. It's okay as long as you don't have to foot the bill for it. It's like "Well it doesn't affect me, so whatever." Well, now millions of illegals currently reside in the U.S., and now you feel it's affecting you. Well it's too late. And who is to blame? Not the illegal immigrants, but those who hired them and gave them incentive to come here.

Don't you DARE try to compare an Illegal immigrant from Mexico to Slavery....That is the most OBSURD comparison I have ever heard. Obviously you are not black, so you make a stupid comaprsion like that. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO HITTING THE MARK buddy.

You missed the main point of that post. Slavery is a far different matter. I was just saying that people looked the other way when this was going on. White Americans brought the Africans to the United States. When slavery was abolished, blacks were looking for their rights and they were SHUNNED. Illegal immigrants are being brought into the United States all the time. There are incentives given, by American businesses, to come here and work illegally. Now there are millions of illegal immigrants, many perhaps who are looking to become citizens one day, and they are being shunned and saying they should all be sent back to where they came from.

Right away, someone takes my post the wrong way and it strikes a chord.

btw, how do you know I'm not black? Did I mention that somewhere? Do you have a picture of me somewhere? Am I too articulate to be black? You don't know jack.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't know what color you are but you have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that you are 19 years old! Somehow you have become an expert in the political arena and yet you're not old enough to drink a beer! Got the tiger by the tail, don't ya..........
Old 03-31-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You missed the main point of that post. Slavery is a far different matter. I was just saying that people looked the other way when this was going on. White Americans brought the Africans to the United States. When slavery was abolished, blacks were looking for their rights and they were SHUNNED. Illegal immigrants are being brought into the United States all the time. There are incentives given, by American businesses, to come here and work illegally. Now there are millions of illegal immigrants, many perhaps who are looking to become citizens one day, and they are being shunned and saying they should all be sent back to where they came from.

btw, how do you know I'm not black? Did I mention that somewhere? Do you have a picture of me somewhere? Am I too articulate to be black? You don't know jack.

I don't care what your point was. The SHEAR SIMPLE FACT that you TRIED to make a point by trying to cross reference Slavery (as if there was any relation between it and the current situation) tells me that you are not black. And if you were, then sir I would advise you to trace back your roots. And I'm not talking about some crack pot history book from your Highschool class being taught by a crappy gym teacher. There is NO.....I REPEAT....NO, correlation/relationship/similarity/common ground......WHATEVER word you choose that would somehow tie Slavery with the current situation of people coming here illegally.

Drop it now, cause I can almost gaurantee that no one will EVER by that sad attempt to justify illegal aliens feeding off the system by trying to tie it with Slavery.

So, do me a favor and drop that now, because I will bust a blood vessle in my head from replying to your lack of educational post, and the mods will step in and lock this thing down. So, please, find another point to use.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

On another note. There should be an option to Send them all back home except for the bad a$$ hispanic chicks that call their mens Papi during sex...
Old 03-31-2006, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ISmokeGuys

I don't care what your point was. The SHEAR SIMPLE FACT that you TRIED to make a point by trying to cross reference Slavery (as if there was any relation between it and the current situation) tells me that you are not black. And if you were, then sir I would advise you to trace back your roots. And I'm not talking about some crack pot history book from your Highschool class being taught by a crappy gym teacher. There is NO.....I REPEAT....NO, correlation/relationship/similarity/common ground......WHATEVER word you choose that would somehow tie Slavery with the current situation of people coming here illegally.

Drop it now, cause I can almost gaurantee that no one will EVER by that sad attempt to justify illegal aliens feeding off the system by trying to tie it with Slavery.

So, do me a favor and drop that now, because I will bust a blood vessle in my head from replying to your lack of educational post, and the mods will step in and lock this thing down. So, please, find another point to use.
How's that for a beat-down?! Junior has just enough education to articulatly expound upon his ignorance.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On another note. There should be an option to Send them all back home except for the bad a$$ hispanic chicks that call their mens Papi during sex...
How the heck do you expect anyone to take you seriously with such a stupid statement like that? I may be young but guaranteed I'm more mature than you or Scott17 (17 must be his real age, because it sure sounds like it). Seriously you call my posts stupid, and look at what you write. That's like saying let's send all the blacks who leech off of welfare back to Africa. Millions of American citizens "leech off the system" every day. But that's ok right, since they're here legally.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
I don't know what color you are but you have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that you are 19 years old! Somehow you have become an expert in the political arena and yet you're not old enough to drink a beer! Got the tiger by the tail, don't ya..........
Yeah, yet I'm old enough to go fight for this country. So according to you I'm not old enough to have a political opinion, yet I can be drafted... Doesn't seem right, does it?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was drawing parallels about the aftermath of slavery, the civil rights movement. And yes, the immigration situation has every thing to do with civil rights since illegal immigrants are human beings, not the subhuman job-stealing scum you make them out to be. Learn to read my posts before saying "OMGZ HE USED SLAVERY HE IS A RACIST!!!11"
Old 04-01-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok well to conclude my arguments here, I think the real problem is the American companies that hire illegal immigrants and thus provide incentive for illegal immigration to continue. If businesses would stop hiring these illegal immigrants, then there would be no incentive to immigrate here, and therefore illegal immigration would cease. As far as the illegal immigrants that are here already, I believe that it's too late to "Send all dem damn wetbacks back to where dey came [sic]." There's millions of them here, and it would be too difficult and too costly to deport all of them. Therefore I have to agree that a more streamlined approach to legalizing these immigrants is in order, so they can enjoy the rights (and responsiblities) of any other hard-working American. I agree that illegal immigration is just that, illegal. However you must first understand that they didn't come here to steal our jobs and destroy our way of life. They came here to work hard and put food on the table for their families. It would be un-American NOT to support that idea.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

^^^^
You are right in saying companies shouldn't seek illegal or recruit illegal immigrants for employment.
You are wrong in thinking that only the companies that do the employing benefit. Illegal immigrants have an EXPONENTIAL improvment in standards of living compared to their lives in mexico.

I personally was born in Korea, and am a citizen born abroad. My mother is korean and had to go through all the testing and red tape to get her citizenship in the US.

You think red tape and regulations on immigration to the US just popped up in the 80s under the Regan administration? Regulating immigration has been around since the 18th century.

If 100% of illegal immigrants benefitted the US in anyway this would not be an issue. If 50% of illegal immigrants were contributing to the economy or any other way influenced the standard of living in anyway, there would be less of an issue.

Employed Illegal immigrants bring down wages of other US citizens in the same job. Hurting the economy, forcing a larger percentage of people to enroll for government aid, Blowing up the population....

its kind of like the new-age medicines you see on television.

"Do you have a runny nose? Take Brand X medicine and you won't have a runny nose anymore!.... but you might get diarreah, neausia, dizzy spells, bloody nose, and runny nose... if runny nose persists for more than 4 days consult a physician."
Old 04-01-2006, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you fs are kinda racist.....ohh! (said in a kind of dice clay kind of voice).

sry, sometimes the tone is important.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Race has nothing to do with anything in these posts.

But nice to know where your head is.

These posts are about illegal immigrants (wich can be from any nation of any nationality and race).

Quick Reply: Immigration Reform