Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

impacted wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default impacted wisdom

So....anyone had impacted wisdom teeth removed?

Please share yr experience...

I'm getting all 4 of mine done tomorrow and because i have some chest issues the dentist refuses to put me on ivy sedation, so local anesthesia will have to do.

What were yr post surgery effects? What meds did u get? what was yr reaction? vomit? weakness? dizzyness? How long did it take you to "heal"?

gah.

Scared C.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aw C don't be scared I had all 4 impacted teath removed at the same time too and because I've had so many operations the anesthesia was wonky.

Just take the time to relax and spend a few days in bed, you'll be puffy and stick to soup, mushy stuff.

It's no big deal, just an excuse to stay in bed and play on the computer.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

so u did it with the local anesthesia too? no ivi sedation right?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep.

It wasn't a big deal, I'm pretty good at just shutting stuff out and going somewhere else in my head. Just pretend you are on a really long drive on a really curvy road.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Mine came in a few months ago but they didn't bother me so I didn't get them removed. I heard it sucks tho, you should fear the post-operation pain instead of the actual operation itself. I had a root canal done and everyone was telling me it was going to kill...the most painful part was when they stuck me with the needle 3 times to make my entire head go numb . I didn't feel a thing the entire operation.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

omg i think im gonna puke....

Adorian - the problem is that I jus quit smoking and that was my "safe" zone. Smoking before doing ops or stuff. But now that I quit I dunno. And I can't have ppl in the room with me to hold my hand. And I HATE needles.

i dunno my styomach is fu*ked right now
Old 01-03-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the shots wheren't the most fun, but they really wheren't that bad, not like a tetnus (sp) shot or anything.

I had just quit smoking too! Weird.

After my surgery I had my buddy and my ex husband come pick me up (I had a supra and wasn't gonna risk puking in it) and on the way home I was so happy about how little pain I was in and so loopy on drugs I demanded we go to meal time (it was a local burger/shake place) and get shakes. I decided to try and eat a big giant shake right after having my mouth hacked apart.... most of it ended up on my shirt but I didn't care, I went home and just slept. Don't try and be a champ, the pain killers are there for a reason just make sure you have food in your tummy if they give you the good stuffs.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just don't chew on your lips while its all numb i done that a few times and i will never make that mistake again
Old 01-03-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So the puking will be a result only of how strong the meds they give you are....?

It's wierd, I'm going through phases of utter calm and others of sheer panic. =/
Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I didn't feel any pain other than a tummy ache from drugs on an empty stomache.

I didn't even take all of them. Just nap, watch TV, surf the net, and loaf around doing nothing for a few days.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just had a severely infected tooth, followed by a root canal, i was drugged up for about a week and half.. and as much as it sucked, the good part was being able to do absolutly nothing that whole time.. no work!!!

also i just gave up smoking too...
<---- going crazy without any smokes..
Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i have 2 wisdom teeth out and i'm 99% sure i'm going to have my 3rd one out a couple weeks or so, i go in too see it needs to come out next wednesday

the only thing i don't like is the needle and that i need a lot of novocain i think it was around 5 or 6 shots of it , but it'll wear off in the same amount of time i think its like 6 hours or so before you start to get feel anything...
Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this may settle your nerves... but like many people it really depends on your body. But Adorian is right!

Just got all four of mine removed this past week! All four were fully impacted, and three of them were facing inwards, towards my tongue. AND each tooth had an extra root (usually two for top, and three for bottom, i had three on top and four on bottom). My oral surgeon gave me a warning that with the position and size of them, i could have a slow and painful recovery.

The funny thing is, I was fine. The same day as the surgery I played with my niece (4 months old) and nephew (4 years old) without any pain! I took four total perc's, out of the 60 (yes 60, 40 percs, 20 vic's)... two days after the surgery I got a lil woozy, and swelled ever so slightly (it actually looked like I filled out a bit to be honest). But that same day I moved into crackers, and grill cheese sandwiches.

My best suggestion, is to not rush it... if you are on soup an extra day, no big deal. If you have to pop another pill a day longer than expected, dont fret. Just lay low, take your time, and rest! Sleep! and FLUIDS!

You will be fine tc4!
Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had all 4 of mine taken out last May, two of which were somewhat impacted- I just had the local anesthesia when they took mine out, so I was awake the whole time and well I can't stand the sight of blood, so when I heard the dentist smashing the teeth and yanking them out and saw the blood run down my chin-- I think that was the most jacked up part of it all...*shivers*

after that, I couldn't eat anything for about 3 days, so I lived off jamba juice, apple sauce and ...well that's about it! I think I had to rinse out my mouth like, every couple of hours, and the first day I remember having to stuff gauze in my mouth to soak up the blood, constantly- The dentist gave me something for pain...I really can't remember what it was but I didn't use it because, granted my mouth hurt like _____, you have to eat to take the meds but, you can't..or, well i couldn't -- but honestly, the first day was the worst-- after that, it just more of an annoyance because of the constant rinsing, the puffy cheeks and just not being able to eat normal food--

just make sure you give yourself like a week after they are extracted, to relax.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by trentonm
this may settle your nerves... but like many people it really depends on your body. But Adorian is right!

You will be fine tc4!
Thank you buddy!
Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get ready for chicken noooooooooooodle soooooooooooup for the next week. also, random bleeding in your mouth and any given moment within the next week.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ugh. I have #3 coming in & I'm pretty sure all of them are impacted since ones been coming out for a year & another one for 2 months now. #3 just started coming in & I'm sure #4 will be on it's way soon.

If they all have to be pulled I'll cry like a little baby.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy
Originally Posted by trentonm

You will be fine tc4!
Thank you buddy!
anytime! just let me know how it all goes! And trust me, the chicken noodle for a week? eh, give it three days and you can start working real solid food in.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hmm the problem is that I can't open my jaw...the infection spread to my ears/throat too. I've been on penicillin for a week and my jaw is a bit loose even though if i keep it open for over a minute it starts to cramp....=/
Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Im gonna bite ur pooofy cheeks!

Quick Reply: impacted wisdom