Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

INSURANCE DROPPING ME BECAUSE OF MODS??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default INSURANCE DROPPING ME BECAUSE OF MODS??

well they arent really, i just wanted to get your attention.

however, i have been reading around on many places that if you mod your car and dont inform your insurance company then they will drop you from insurance, and then they can also not pay for anything if the car gets totalled!!!

is this true? i have read it on the nissan, scion, and honda forums, everywhere i read its the same damn thing.

on my car, all i had done was I/H/E/springs that would be considered mods, everything else was cosmetic.

someone please help me

i have STATE-FARM INSURANCE if that helps, and i have full coverage
Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Ali call me I got sources for you.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

or me..lol.. gf works for insurance broker...

if you dont tell them about the mods dont expect them to pay for them... at most just expect the value of your car stock if you end up filing a claim.... then they may drop you after
Old 10-13-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would they drop me tho?

i dont expect them to pay for any of my mods.. but i dont want to lose my insurance either
Old 10-13-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

same reason they may drop you after you get a ticket or in a wreck(thats your fault) you're a risk to them... hell some people get droped cuz their credit score sux...

they shouldnt drop you... but they may raise your rates first.
i dunno.. my gf shakes her head when people say they have state farm insurance.

i'll ask her info tonight see if can get better info
Old 10-13-2006, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks man
Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

sorry for takin the weekend to respond...
but per my gf... any insurance co can drop you for any mod's you do your car... more likely to drop you for performance vs asthetics(sp?/looks) but they can drop you due to risk you pose...
risk being... you have all this stuff done to your car.. some obvious some not... bigger target for theft. in an accident situation(or theft) unless you declare and get extra coverage for what you've changed/added to your car they are only responsible for getting it back to stock/oem status.. which will exclude paint, engine mods, stereos, rims (gray area).... unless you have extra coverage for them

some companies may or may not even cover factory/dealer installed a/v systems too (i.e rs3.0 xb a/v)... just gotta shop around and ask specific questions before you decide on coverage from anyplace
Old 10-16-2006, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think the most you are looking at is not being covered if some things are stolen. Get ahold of Kirby.............
Old 10-16-2006, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup.. talked to him and stuff, im all good as far as i know.

i am not asking them for anything, just to pay for hte rims, because they came from the factory.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hmm...

This is making me think now.

I'm a 18 yr-old full-time student at a local community college taking max credits.
Which means that I don't have time to for a job because I'm working my a s s
off in trying to get into a good UC. My parents said they'd take care of my car
payments etc etc. as long as I'm working hard with my studies. And I went
along with that since they saved a lot of money when I decided to just go to a
CC instead of straight into a CSU or a UC. The car is under their name and they
also take care of the insurance.

I plan on getting Progress springs, Injen intake, and an exhaust this month.

Do I HAVE to tell them about all this? Cause I know that they're going to complain
about all of this if they do find out what I'm going to add onto the car. Would it be
safer for me to just tell them about it and that they would need to report it to the
insurance company? Honestly, I really don't want them to. Although the exhaust
would be pretty hard to hide
Old 10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

i dunno... since its all under your parents name.... id suggest just calling up the same insurance co... and just act like a potential new cust.. and say somthing like.. " i hear that some co's drop clients if they do x,y,z to a car.... " or " i have already put these parts on my car... am i at risk of being droped for them... " something like that...
Old 10-17-2006, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All of this is mostly false.

The main and only reason an insurance company will drop you after finding out about performance mods is because you are considered to "race" as there's no real other reason to modify your car in such a way in the insurance word. Even if you track your car once a year, it is considered grounds to cancel due to racing/non street legal vehicle.

In addition, even if you explain to them that you do not race and have the performance parts for more points at car shows, there is also "show car insurance" where you're usually only allowed to drive 2000 miles to and from carshows and carshows specifically. You can't even drive it once a week to do grocery shopping. It's strictly an exclusive show car vehicle insurance.

No you can not have both types of insurance. That is considered double coverage and again will cancel both policies because it is illegal to double cover a vehicle.

Also depending on the insurance that you have, specifically if your insurance was purchased through a broker, then there is a very high chance that your accident claim will be denied in full and get absolutely nothing if you have performance mods. Many of your bigger named companies such as State Farm, 21st Century, Allstate, etc. will pay your claim up blue book on the vehicle then cancel your policy.

Not all mods are considered performance mods however. Anything that is bolted on engine wise is, but many times suspension modifications aren't considered performance mods. I personally have my coilovers, sway, and strut bars all insured as they are suspension modifications. Many insurance companies will cover a suspension parts so long as the drop or lift are within 6 inches. Again, different companies have different guidelines. You may want to check your documents or make a phone call to verify.

RYPHLEX:

To answer your questions. Yes, the exhaust would be hard to hide. The intake is hard to hide if your dad is at all active about vehicle maintenance. And lastly, it's not worth getting your $200 springs insured when you're techincally only insuring 100 or something dollars if the OEM springs are worth $100.

FYI, not that kkawana's information isn't useful, but you may want to specifically ask people from CA instead of everywhere in the nation. All states make their own insurance laws and CA has some very complex and terribly worded regulations in their book.

It's kinda like asking a person from Kansas about CARB laws
Old 10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by dp-_-
All of this is mostly false.

The main and only reason an insurance company will drop you after finding out about performance mods is because you are considered to "race" as there's no real other reason to modify your car in such a way in the insurance word. Even if you track your car once a year, it is considered grounds to cancel due to racing/non street legal vehicle.

In addition, even if you explain to them that you do not race and have the performance parts for more points at car shows, there is also "show car insurance" where you're usually only allowed to drive 2000 miles to and from carshows and carshows specifically. You can't even drive it once a week to do grocery shopping. It's strictly an exclusive show car vehicle insurance.

No you can not have both types of insurance. That is considered double coverage and again will cancel both policies because it is illegal to double cover a vehicle.

Also depending on the insurance that you have, specifically if your insurance was purchased through a broker, then there is a very high chance that your accident claim will be denied in full and get absolutely nothing if you have performance mods. Many of your bigger named companies such as State Farm, 21st Century, Allstate, etc. will pay your claim up blue book on the vehicle then cancel your policy.

Not all mods are considered performance mods however. Anything that is bolted on engine wise is, but many times suspension modifications aren't considered performance mods. I personally have my coilovers, sway, and strut bars all insured as they are suspension modifications. Many insurance companies will cover a suspension parts so long as the drop or lift are within 6 inches. Again, different companies have different guidelines. You may want to check your documents or make a phone call to verify.

RYPHLEX:

To answer your questions. Yes, the exhaust would be hard to hide. The intake is hard to hide if your dad is at all active about vehicle maintenance. And lastly, it's not worth getting your $200 springs insured when you're techincally only insuring 100 or something dollars if the OEM springs are worth $100.

FYI, not that kkawana's information isn't useful, but you may want to specifically ask people from CA instead of everywhere in the nation. All states make their own insurance laws and CA has some very complex and terribly worded regulations in their book.

It's kinda like asking a person from Kansas about CARB laws

WOW NICK! Very well put.....All I know is commercial lines vehicles.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well i'll throw my couple cents in

b4 i had the scion, i had an 02 sentra se-r, insured by Progressive. the car had a system and an indash dvd flip screen thingy. i also had an aem cai.

because this was excess money, i called my insurane to let them kno what i had. that way if somebody breaks in and stills my system and indash, it would be covered.
so yea, i asked for an additional 2000 coverage. my premium went up about 10 extra dollars a month

later that year, back in july, i was in an accident, not my fault, and my sentra was totalled
the system and indash were still good, so i was able to take that out the car. my intake died, it was all bent up.
becuase i let them kno i had the intake and added it as extra coverage, they gave me a $285 check

off topic: they also paid my car off even though i owed bout 3k more than the blue book. i love progressive

so yea, U SHOULD LET UR INSURANCE NO WAT MODS U HAVE. ALSO, KEEP UR RECEIPTS. THAT WAY THEY KNOW HOW MUCH U PAID FOR IT IF U EVER GET IN A SITUATION SIMILIAR TO MINE.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In regards to Tasha's comments:

Yes, you can and always should be able to cover equipment such as a system on your auto policy. I know of 2 companies that does not offer special equipment coverage and if your insurance company does not offer it, that should be a clue to drop their insurance and start up a new policy with another carrier.

Special equipment would be anything audio/video that has been added to your car and wheels. These items usually are as far as insurance will go to cover special items, but like I said previously, there is a chance that they will cover suspension items also.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

so off topic, but um.......dp, u goin to knotts?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since there are some insurance people in here and we're discussing mods, I will ask:

I purchased my car with Eclipse AVN6600, VIS cF hood/spolier, 18's, full suspension.

Do I have to necessarily tell my insurance about these things? I bought GAP with the car so I figure if I get into a wreck and the car is totalled, then GAP has to cover all my mods since they were dealer purchased/installed.

Should I tell them anyways, in case of theft and what not?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by spECIal
so off topic, but um.......dp, u goin to knotts?
thats a dumb question to ask nick, Tasha. that foo lives down the street. of course he is. and when you meet him slap him for me. tell him kirby says hi. lol......
Old 10-17-2006, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, and I dont really have reciepts for any of these things since they are on the invoice the dealer gave to me when I purchased the car. Should that be a problem?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

tell them.

cause i believe gap only covers the amount of the difference of wat ur insurance is gonna pay and wat u owe.

so ADD UR MODS to ur insurance policy

Quick Reply: INSURANCE DROPPING ME BECAUSE OF MODS??