Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

INSURANCE DROPPING ME BECAUSE OF MODS??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

hmmm... think i'm going to go visit my insurance company tomorrow...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tasha is correct about GAP insurance. GAP covers the "gap" between what you owe on the car and what the car is actually worth. GAP on scions is pretty much useless since resale is higher than new, unless you were dumb enough to buy the car waaaaay over it's actual worth.

Think of it this way:
You buy a car and drive it off the lot. It technically has immediately lost value correct? Well lets say you turn the corner and BLAM! car is done. GAP would cover the difference between the depreciated amount and the amount left on the vehicle payments. (I've actually seen this happen twice before....talk about owned)

Yes you should declare those items as special equipment because as far as the insurance company knows, all you have is a $15k xB. Your sales contract should have listed the items as some sort of add-on, but if it doesn't then you technically have no interest in the items as you did not "buy" them in the first place.

Oh and Kirby, it wasn't a dumb question. I might not be able to get the time off
Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yea kirby

im not far either, but im only goin cause im not goin to class

lol

o yea.............
Old 10-17-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

<<sweet i'm mostly false!!!
j/k
i was tryin to remember/relay what my gf told me about it... completely forgot about the "race" aspect of it..... she's also told me about "show car" insurance... hell you cant even stop on the way to/from a car show to get burger or snacks from a store... at least the way she explained it...

I let her deal w/all the insurance stuff... supposedly i now have 1mil. umbrella for accidents... and all my hardware is completely covered.. but labor is not (i.e fiberglass sub box)

anyways. yeah.. she works for a brokerage that does cover Cali... but i never told her locations... i just asked general ?s
Old 10-17-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand the depreciation aspect, I was just wondering if the GAP would cover everything in a wreck since this is how my car was purchased from the dealer. And yes I am paying interest on those mods, but I got them discounted thru a dealer hookup. Ill have to look at my invoice, if it doesnt list things, I will ask my sales guy to inventory it for me with prices...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yea, it'll jus go by the TOTAL price u paid.
lets say the car cost 18k, but u paid 20k cause it came with the mods and its worth 16k. then if ur car was totalled, GAP would pay 4k. u jus gotta have proof of the total amoung u paid.

but........if ur car get broke into and they still ur radio thingy and system, ur screwed cause GAP wont cover that. thats ur insurance job. and if u dont tell ur insurance bout it, then they could careless. u'd be SOL
Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, that makes sense. Im going to call insurance sometime and have them up the coverage for my audio stuff. Il prob read what their policy is also. When I had the mom/pop insurance, they automatically covered up to $1000 of audio/video that was installed in factory place, ie speakers, HU, but they did not cover things like subs and amps because they are not installed in factory spots. I have Metlife now and I dont know what their policy is. I just swithced to them because work gives me a discount...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yep, just get the info from ur insurance comp. cause i kno some insurance places allow a minum limit to additional cvg. for example, progressive told me the minimum limit for my policy was 2k. and that i already had a 1k cvg on my policy. so it would be pointless to add the cvg if i dont have 2k worth of goods.
sounds confusin but i hope it helps
Old 10-17-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay.. i obviously cant tell them now about what i had done because its too late.

however i am not asking htem to cover me for the parts, i jsut want to be covered for what the dealer invoice says, and nothing more
Old 10-18-2006, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which they should give you. they should give you the ACV or Actual Cash Value of the vehicle. This, for the most part blue book. If they try to screw you and refuse to completely explain why you're only getting X dollars, just tell them you'll be contacting the department of insurance because they're not explaining the situation to your satisfaction.

If they say they don't care if you contact them, then do it as soon as possible. Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to deal with the DOI. FYI, Allstate had to pay about 2 billion dollars in fines and crap earlier this year.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

naw.. i think im straigh on that part, we have been with this insurance for like 25-30 years now, we are very close with the agent(family friends)..

i told her about my mods today and she said dont sweat it.. but i still dont know if i can take them out, i didnt want to be greedy and say now that you said i dont have to worry about them.. can i take them out.

also.. two things were stolen out of my car, the broadway mirror(dont really care about).. and a watch that my mom bought me for my 16th b-day.. meant alot since my mom passed away, and it had ALOT of value to me.. ****** arent admitting to it either.

STAY AWAY FROM JUNGS AUTO RESTORATION
Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what bout engine swaps? will they cover my "different" motor. assume that i pass the BAR in CA and my car is legal.