Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Insurance gurus, please help. [Kinda long]

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Insurance gurus, please help. [Kinda long]

My car was hit while it was parked about 3 weeks ago. Smashed the passenger side fender, ripped the bumper off, broke my VRD fogs, cracked my CF hood, among others. The body shop estimated $6500 and included the aftermarket parts. So their insurance adjuster went to look at it, and without consulting with the body shop, they just sent me a check for a little over $4K. They still haven't sent their estimate to the body shop, so they can't even start working on the car yet. If I cash the check, and use some of it to replace the aftermarket stuff, will I get screwed in the end? The body shop guy said they can get supplement from insurance, but is that something they will have to deal with, or will I have to talk to these scumbags again and try to plead my case? I'm really getting tired of trying to find answers from their insurance, and they never call me back. If anyone has experience with this, or works for insurance (sorry to hear that), please help.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Your body shop guy is correct. Just because the insurance company has issued a check does not mean the claim is closed. The body shop can contact the insurance company to supplement on top of the already-written check.
If I were you, I would contact the insurance adjuster that you originally spoke to and make sure you have everything documented. Explain that the body shop has yet to see any claim information and refuses to begin work until they have the claim info on file. Also inform them that you are ordering the replacement aftermarket parts with the check that was sent.
MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A PHOTOCOPY OF THE CHECK ALONG WITH EVERY RECEIPT FOR EVERY ITEM PURCHASED! Do not give the insurance company anything until you have a copy of it first! This covers you in case they mix up the records or lose some receipts.
Insurance companies are notorious for making things as difficult as possible in order to save themselves a few pennies.
Good luck! I went through a similar situation about a year ago and it took constant pressure on the insurance company to get them to take ownership.