Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Insurance: How important is collision coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Insurance: How important is collision coverage?

I ask because...

as you can see, the collision coverage costs almost double the next most expensive thing (bodily injury coverage).
Old 08-03-2008, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

collision is pretty much really important dude. it is what pays to repair your car and the car you hit. if you don't have it...and you get into an accident that isn't your fault, then...your paying to fix the other persons car yourself...and your own car if you can afford it.

and if your still financing your car...your probably required to have it if you haven't paid it off yet.

then, comprehensive coverage, which you probably also need if your car is still being financed, covers you for stuff like things falling on your car, or you get hit by a deer (like i did yesterday).

so yeah, collision is VERY important.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
collision is pretty much really important dude. it is what pays to repair your car and the car you hit. if you don't have it...and you get into an accident that isn't your fault, then...your paying to fix the other persons car yourself...and your own car if you can afford it.
No, that's not right. Your insurance only comes into play when you cause an accident. If an accident "isn't your fault" then it really doesn't matter what kind of coverage you have, because the other party's insurance will pay.

Collision insurance covers damages caused in accidents which are your fault, so if you don't have collision coverage then you will be out of pocket big-time. The level of collision coverage you have obviously determines just how much your insurance will pay versus how much you have to pay.

Everything above assumes that the other party is known. If an unknown party damages your vehicle (hit and run, person didn't pull over, etc.) then that's where comprehensive coverage comes into play. Comprehensive coverage also covers acts of nature and acts of God.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My car is fully paid for.

How important is collision coverage now?

Btw, collision is the only coverage where I'm on the fence. Comprehensive is a definite yes.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by foreverandaminute
How important is collision coverage now?
See above. If you don't have collision coverage and you cause an accident (if you are deemed at fault, whether you agree or not) then your insurance won't pay for damages and you will be out of pocket big-time.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Collision insurance pays for damage to your car, not the other guy's, and it's optional. After all, you can sue someone you think is to blame for damages to your car. So why buy collision insurance, unless you have to (for instance, if you are financing a car)? For a number of reasons:

You may be the world's most careful driver, but it is still possible that you will cause an accident or be held responsible for one. In that case you can't collect for damage to your car from the other driver. Collision coverage will pay for the damage, even if an accident is your fault.

You may think an accident is the other driver's fault, but he may disagree, casting you both into lengthy legal proceedings. With collision coverage, your company can repair the car and take over your claim against the other driver (a procedure known as subrogation). Your company is ethically, but not legally, bound to fight for enough money to pay you back part or all of the deductible.

You could get into an accident in which the other driver is clearly at fault but has no liability insurance. Suing could be pointless. As you will see later in this chapter, the auto policy's uninsured (or underinsured) motorist coverage does not necessarily pay for damage to your car in this situation. Collision does.

Suppose you smash your car into a tree or a telephone pole. There's no one to sue. Collision will pay for the damage to your car.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
No, that's not right. Your insurance only comes into play when you cause an accident. If an accident "isn't your fault" then it really doesn't matter what kind of coverage you have, because the other party's insurance will pay.

Collision insurance covers damages caused in accidents which are your fault, so if you don't have collision coverage then you will be out of pocket big-time. The level of collision coverage you have obviously determines just how much your insurance will pay versus how much you have to pay.

Everything above assumes that the other party is known. If an unknown party damages your vehicle (hit and run, person didn't pull over, etc.) then that's where comprehensive coverage comes into play. Comprehensive coverage also covers acts of nature and acts of God.
sorry, that was a typo
Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ibnboxin
You could get into an accident in which the other driver is clearly at fault but has no liability insurance. Suing could be pointless. As you will see later in this chapter, the auto policy's uninsured (or underinsured) motorist coverage does not necessarily pay for damage to your car in this situation. Collision does.
Pointless? Why wouldn't a judge rule in your favor if the fault of the other driver is "clear"?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by foreverandaminute
Originally Posted by ibnboxin
Pointless? Why wouldn't a judge rule in your favor if the fault of the other driver is "clear"?
because if your hit by some loser in a beat up old pick up truck who demolishes your car, and it is is clearly his fault, and he isn't insured, so you sue him, yeah, the judge will find in your favor, but if this person doesn't even have a pot to p!$$ in, what are you going to get out of sueing him?

chances are if you are hit by an uninsured motorist, they probably don't have insurance because they can't afford it...so if they can't afford insurance, what makes you think they can afford to hit your car?

anyway, trust me, you want collision insurance, the only time you would really want liability only insurance on a car is if it is an old beater that you don't care about, and if it gets totalled, you would just walk away from it and buy another.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait a second. I am floored. You are asking whether or not you should have collission coverage on your $17000 plus car to entertain the idea of saving 4-800 a year!? WTF?

Seriousley....WTF?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I just wanted to be clear with what it was I was going to be spending that 800 a year for.

Thank you draxcaliber, ibnboxin, and RodC for clearing that up for me.

If I didn't need it then I wouldn't spend a penny to get it, but I clearly need it, so I will.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

It's definitely a must have on a newer car.
You can generally dump collision once the car gets a lot older.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RodC

I crashed my scion last month that was deemed a no fault accident and my collision coverage paid for it.
As per TFS I had to have collision and comprehensive coverage on it. However I did not have gap insurance which now I wish I did.