Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

The iPhone 3GS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The iPhone 3GS Thread

So... who's getting one?

I just preordered now to replace my POS Helio Ocean. It was cool when I got it... for about 3 months. Then I realized how awful it was and suffered through it for two years. My contract expired on 5/28.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/i...3gs-announced/

3G Still Available as 8 GB for $99
3GS in 16 GB for $199 (white or black)
3GS in 32 GB for $299 (white or black)

Not a ridiculous upgrade... but no point in getting the 3G when I can get more space that I'll be able to use.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I have the current 3G and if I wanted to upgrade, it would cost me $700 for the 32GB phone. AT&T really screwed existing customers this time. I gotta wait for my contract to be up (which won't be until Oct '10) and by then, there should be an iPhone 5G or something.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

lol i JUST upgraded to my Bold last month, this crap came too late for me, the $100 is really appealing though..not to mention the new Macbook Pros
Old 06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, the upgrade pricing is kind of lame... but honestly that's how it would be under any other carrier - or at least close. You don't get the new contract price til like 18 months or something into it. Though I think it's actually $500 for the 32gb if you're mid contract.

I just got a Storm a few months ago for my work phone... and it's OK... but I've loved my iPod Touch enough to hold out for an iPhone as soon as I could get out of my Helio contract.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just got my iphone TWO months ago......and now they come out with a new one...............that's totally not cool and the upgrade cost it way too much................><
Old 06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 3GS is nothing new technologically than the 3G. If you jailbreak the 3G you get the 3GS and more.

Apple releases new products every year, but with a 2year contract from AT&T and the fact that they still don't have MMS working yet (yes the phone can do it, but AT&T can't/wont send the data on) the consumer is shafted.

Also all the 'new features' on the phone are nothing more than apps that Apple is including with the phone....nothing new technologically with it.

Despite what people say about Apple and the iPhone, personally, I'm glad I have held off on buying one. It seems like more of a hassle than its worth to me. I'll stick with my current phone for a couple more years.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha yea i've been with verizon ever since 2002 and finally switched to apple two months ago and my last phone was the lg voyager which i loved lol...and don't want to jailbreak the iphone cuz it voids warranty ...(i went through 4 voyagers with verizon) LOL
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by puddlestc
just got my iphone TWO months ago......and now they come out with a new one...............that's totally not cool and the upgrade cost it way too much................><
I have purposely waited b/c it was all but guaranteed they would be releasing some sort of newer version this month. And even if they didn't, I'd at least know for sure and would just pick up a 3G.

As for the technology... they either rewrote the entire iPhone OS (yes, I know 3.0 is coming) or the hardware is upgraded. You don't get those kind of speed differences or battery improvements with the same hardware. No, it's not a huge change... but the performance is significant.

As for jailbreaking... I did that to my Touch when I got it last year. Was nice for a while... but as soon as the app store was released, it made it useless IMO. I restored and went back to normal.

The only thing I really, really wish would happen without jailbreaking is some sort of theme support. That really bothers me... out of all of the things.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can in fact get battery life to increase with a software change. You can implement commands that use fewer cpu ticks, better management of existing hardware power consumption through firmware updates, etc.

Granted, those all have limits.

They could also have stuffed in a different model of battery also into the new phone. And since you can't change the battery in an iPhone without a bit of a mess, they call that an upgrade. Every other phone on the market has a removable battery that can be swapped out for an extended life one. Apple just wants you to buy a new phone instead of getting nickle-and-dimed selling extended life batteries.

Either way, this 3GS phone is a real piece of .....
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

1st gen iPhone crew.....holla! Ill be upgradding to the 3GS, thank god im eligible and dont have to pay $500+ for it!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djspectre
you can in fact get battery life to increase with a software change. You can implement commands that use fewer cpu ticks, better management of existing hardware power consumption through firmware updates, etc.

Granted, those all have limits.

They could also have stuffed in a different model of battery also into the new phone. And since you can't change the battery in an iPhone without a bit of a mess, they call that an upgrade. Every other phone on the market has a removable battery that can be swapped out for an extended life one. Apple just wants you to buy a new phone instead of getting nickle-and-dimed selling extended life batteries.

Either way, this 3GS phone is a real piece of .....
Honestly, the battery thing is not a problem at all for me. I've never had a phone long enough to need a new battery - except for once. With a Motorola I had a few years ago - but that's only because I lived in an area with poor signal so the battery was constantly draining and I was charging it. Went through too many cycles WAY faster than normal.

Other than that, I've never bought or owned a second battery for any of my phones.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i got shafted lol... i bought my 3g in december upgrading from the OG Iphone. with claims of longer battery life I really want the new 3Gs
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 AM
SL Member

I have the 3G now and to be honest, I'm kind of sick of it. I've had it since 9/08 and it seems more like a novelty now. There are other phones out there that will do what I need better than the 3G.

-JB
Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by puddlestc
Well, they had been announcing that the new phone was due in June for months...

I got my 3G in October and I'm fine with it.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im good with my 3G for now too....who knows if i have one of those moments i might just upgrade....but i rather put that money else where
Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jailbird
I have the 3G now and to be honest, I'm kind of sick of it. I've had it since 9/08 and it seems more like a novelty now. There are other phones out there that will do what I need better than the 3G.

-JB
The thing that gets me is having an iPod Touch and playing with a few things and downloading a few apps thinking... geez... this would be really nice if I could use it all of the time and not just on wifi at home.

I'll certainly agree that it's not for everyone though.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Anyone upgrade the firmware yet? The gold master is available on torrents and it's identical to the release that's coming on the 17th.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Ian u got a a link to that torrent?

and i like the 3GS and all but i mean i have Video on my 3G, and im sure there will be a Jailbreak for teh new OS and somebody will put up all the stuff that the new 3GS has like they did for the iPod Touch when the iPhone came out
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I use a private tracker, so no... but...
You can get it here: http://www.iphone3g-mods.com/
Old 06-10-2009, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

did u get it yet?

Quick Reply: The iPhone 3GS Thread