Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: iPhone or Blackberry Storm
iPhone
56.00%
Crackberry
40.00%
Neither, just buy a new battery
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

iPhone or Blackberry Storm

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default iPhone or Blackberry Storm

My phone contract with Verizon came up on the 19th and I'd like to replace it with a smartphone. Also, since my current cell went through the wash the battery won't make it through the day. My question is which is the better buy?

Blackberry Storm site

iPhone site

I know this depends on user needs, so here are mine:

- make phone calls, it is a phone after all
- do text messages, some w/ pictures
- play music @ work
- keep a calander, notes, daily planner, business contacts, etc. (can not sync with work Outlook, security won't allow it)
- add useful programs like car maintenance, games for passing time in the throne room, etc.

Optional:
- turn by turn GPS (have a Garmin already, map is outdated)
- modem for carputer or laptop
- movies
- buying new music

I'm pretty split at the moment. The iPhone would presumably be a better music player, has a cheaper monthly plan, and has a lot more interesting programs via the apps store (like the MPG, 1/4 mi calculator). My biggest problem is that I don't live in a 3G area so when not at home with WiFi the web connection will be slow. Some of the places I travel to may not have much or any AT&T signal.

The Blackberry has most of the things I want, but at a higher price. Extra $10 / mo for turn by turn, extra $15 / mo for modem tethering even though it's the SAME data. No WiFi for web on the phone at home. Memory is expandable but costs extra, comes with 8 GB. Verizon has the best coverage but I'm tired of them disabling phone features unless you pay the ransom to use their Verizon branded one. On my current phone, I have to use BitPIM to for free swap ringtones, contacts, wallpaper, and to back up memory. It is nice that through it I can make any MP3 a ringtone. BitPIM is free, third party and mose likely violates Verizon's terms of use.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

sidekick instead based on cost ftw
Old 11-21-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both are great phones. While both phones have cool goodies and are capable of being used for business, the iphone has more fun stuff and the Storm is more business. I don't think I would ever make a decision based on the handset. ANY phone is only as good as the network it's on. I was a happy Verizon customer for a long time. I also got tired of crippled phones and switched to Cingular (AT&T). I have exactly 2 months and 3 weeks before I can drop them like a bad habbit and get back to Verizon. AT&T's network simply can't compare. Half of my calls are garbeled even with a good signal and I often can't get a good signal. The coolest phone in the world isn't worth that. My advice is to find a phone on the Verizon network that you like and stay put.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
sidekick instead based on cost ftw
Well, based on cost I could stick to my current LG 8600 flip phone. Cost isn't the main issue (except for rate plan). On personal preference, I'd rather not have a seperate keypad and a phone that opens 27 different ways with 3 seperate screens, which is why I don't have an enV, Dare, Sidekick, etc. I'm was considering the G1 but don't really like the lego brick look or operator-intensive focus for applications. Also, TMobile coverage sucks here.

I'm in 20653, here's the coverage for the three networks. TMobile is almost non-existant, AT&T is moderate to good with no 3G, and Verizon has full coverage.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...ler?market=all

Try to keep this discussion to iPhone or Storm, I've already narrowed it to those two choices.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the storm..

i have the verizon blackberry curve and u can download programs from ur comp and use the manager to transfer them, also ringtones...

zedge.net straight from the phone is the best.
verizon has the best coverage around me but it does cost more.

plus get whats new! why would u want something everyone has had for a yr already..lol i plan on gettin the storm by christmas
Old 11-21-2008, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh also howardforums.com helps alot with hackin into the phones and just useful information
Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i am anti-apple so i'd say the storm; plus it looks better

and sidekick ftl!!! (too damn bulky)
Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks, I'm going to try and get to a Verizon store this weekend to mess with the display model. I do need a decent music player, though it looks like the Storm has stereo bluetooth. Hopefully it has the standard 3.5mm jack as well.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would seriously think more about the network than the phone. You've already said that AT&T coverage isn't as good as Verizon in your area plus no 3G on AT&T. Do you travel much? I have been dissapointed and frustrated many times with AT&T while traveling. I have been stuck in airports with weak or no signal while people on other networks talked away.
The iphone is a really cool device, but AT&T will drive you insane. The BB Storm looks like it's going to be a solid performer with lots of goodies...and it's on the best network.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

AT&T gsm really sucks..Verizon is much more reliable
Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck getting one as i read its already sold out most places. and i have att for my workcrackberry and i hate it. and its slow. i have the net thorugh verizon on my motoQ and its pretty fast compared to att
Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

G1 phone..
or the G2..
Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm a patient person, if they sell out initially they'll be in stock later, we're not talking a Wii here. I do travel monthly, mostly to the following areas:

- San Diego
- Corona, CA
- Norfolk
- Virginia Beach
- Orlando
- Jacksonville, FL

Most of these are larger areas, so I wouldn't worry too much about network. Local EDGE only will suck for an iPhone but would make up for it through WiFi at home for data. Tethering would be nice for airports, etc. for my laptop so that may be the deciding factor for going with the Storm.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you thinking about to resell them... definetely iphone...
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Huh, I haven't found the iPhone out of stock for a while, unless you mean eBaying them overseas. Too much work, I'd rather buy Wii's and hold them until the second week of December. Just looking for something for myself. Also, the Storm appears to be going for $400 and up on eBay right now.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well they are all sold out here in houston but a coworker just called tehm and tehy said they are overnighting it here... 99 bucks isnt bad... 199-100(ne2)=99 bucks
Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

strom is ONLY 200 I will get it.. I have the Pearl now.

____ is sweet brah
Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i like my iphone except it will freeze up sometimes and it gets frustrating when you have to turn it off and on. i have the 1st gen iphone and if you want to listen to music using the speaker your screwd cause it sucks big time. also the screen is made out of glass and i have a couple of friend that have cracked the screen and its expensive to fix. oh and if you get a multimedia text message you cant see it you have to go to a diffrent website and log in the camera is nize but no zoom and no video camera. wow my phone sucks lol
Old 11-21-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just found this from Garmin, lets you install their GPS on a blackberry:

Garmin Blackberry GPS

$99 up front but gets rid of the stupid Verizon $10 / month GPS rental fee, but the Storm isn't listed yet.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I would go with Verizon. They have the best coverage in all those areas you listed. The only down side to them is their ridiculous add-on fees and add-ons to the phone.

I would LOVE to get a Storm but I'm on TMO and not willing to make the switch or pay for an unlocked Storm.

Quick Reply: iPhone or Blackberry Storm