Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: iPhone or Blackberry Storm
iPhone
56.00%
Crackberry
40.00%
Neither, just buy a new battery
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

iPhone or Blackberry Storm

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can tether with the iPhone via a hack... costs nothing
Old 11-22-2008, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also tether with the Blackberry, so whats the difference?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

blackberry storm = iPhone wannabe!

Seriously, ive had the iPhone since march and wanted one since they came out last year. Its amazing what this phone can do and the app store is what makes this phone 10x better now. Just downloaded the 2.2 update and it just got better with Google Maps. Seriously, go to AT&T and play with one!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

i have an iphone 3g and i love it
but i would kill for an unlocked BB Storm
lol
and a G1
they both are good phones
and it hard to say witch is better
Old 11-23-2008, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, put down a deposit for a BB Storm at Best Buy. Sadly, the Best Buy salesperson seemed to know more than the people at the Verizon store or at the Verizon kiosk in a wholesale store. Also, they're salaried so no pressure from commission salespeople. Everyone is sold out but Best Buy said they were expecting more in today, the Verizon kiosk place couldn't even garantee it would be in by Dec. 5. Circuit City may also have them, you could help them get out of bankruptcy.

The deciding factors were network stability and flat fee GPS. I just couldn't bring myself to switching to AT&T knowing their service in most places I go. Once I found the Garmin Mobile GPS, that was it. No "renting" from Verizon, and the map server is online so they're always up to date and include traffic. The only thing I don't know is if Verizon locked down the GPS receiver for use only with VZNavigator. Calling Verizon, they said that VZ Navigator doesn't use true GPS anyway, doing triangulation from cell towers instead. Blackberry maps is available for use without VZNav, and I believe it uses true GPS for positioning, as Blackberry states "built in GPS" on their site. Verizon makes no mention of it, so I'm guessing they're just not avertizing it to get people to use VZNav instead.

I tried the Storm out at the Verizon store and it seems very good. Text is dead on, and it's nice to drag the cursor and not worry about accidentally clicking because you have to press to click. When you rotate the screen, it takes a second to catch up but other than that is very responsive. The nice thing is screen rotation seems to support every application, rather than only some on the iPhone. All the basic time waster games are available from the blackberry site, and having access to Word, Powerpoint, etc. will be nice while on travel.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:32 AM
SL Member

So the NAV on the garmin site will work with out airtime? or need a data plan? How does it pick up traffic?? I have a curve with gps on att, and it would be nice to get to use it. But not sure if I need the storm yet I like my samsung flip shot on verizon
Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Well, put down a deposit for a BB Storm at Best Buy.
You made the right decision. I can't say he BB Storm is going to be perfect (no phone is) but if you had switched to AT&T you would have regreted it. Good luck with the storm. Give us an update after you've had a chance to use your own for few days.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by izedaman
So the NAV on the garmin site will work with out airtime? or need a data plan? How does it pick up traffic?? I have a curve with gps on att, and it would be nice to get to use it. But not sure if I need the storm yet I like my samsung flip shot on verizon
You will need a data plan. The Garmin Mobile uses the phone GPS to track but maps are streamed via the data plan, not loaded directly on the phone. This allows them to always be current rather than having to buy map pack upgrades. Also, it includes traffic. The downside is if you lose the data signal you might lose the map, not sure how big of an area they cache on the phone or how long you can go without data signal.

I'll let you know when Garmin updates their compatibility for the Storm, since it just came out on the 21st I guess they haven't had time to test it yet.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 PM
SL Member

The iPhone = l.o.v.e.

I never put this thing down! Its pretty much amazing and you will love it; I promise. and you have me to answer any and all of your questions regarding it. I hacked mine and stayed on T-Mobiles network, have upgraded the firmware 3 or 4 times now and have done so much more to make it stand out from the rest of the iPhones.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Do the coverage search for my zip code, all three carrier service map pages are listed on page one.

TMobile is horrible where I'm at, and a phone does me no good if I can't get a signal. tethering with a hack on the iPhone is great, until you need to upgrade frimware or AT&T discovers it and shuts down your plan, or worse charges you for all the bandwidth you've used.

Apple is hit or miss for me. I have a Macbook pro as my PC, and a Mac mini in my car. However, I hated the iPod shuffle and had mixed feelings about the Touch, ending up going with the Classic.

Until AT&T invests in some cell towers here and where I travel, I'm kinda locked into Verizon. Fun fact about the Storm, since it only comes as the Global package, they included the European and some wierd 2 prong circular power adapter with it in addition to the standard two blade US design.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Fun fact about the Storm, since it only comes as the Global package, they included the European and some wierd 2 prong circular power adapter with it in addition to the standard two blade US design.
That's so you can plug it into your flux capacitor for a quick recharge.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you order your storm now, you won't get it til the 15th...they found a security issue with the OS, so they had to roll back and only limited handsets went out. New OS for those who have the the storm already should be out shortly...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned
SL Member

I hear that you can dyno your car with the iphone, its in the new issue of Import Tuner
Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i'm sure they'll come up with something like that for the storm
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned
SL Member

I hear that you can make popcorn with the iPhone lol something the storm will never be able to do
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

IPHONE FTW

ive had both versions of the iphone and loved them both i tried to convert to a bb person but i found that bb are weak and not a huge fan of there OS and like many people have said BB STORM = IPHONE WANNA BE
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just got a new phone, I got the AT&T fuze! I love it and I am already cooking a rom for it!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned
SL Member

Plus bbs' charge you for stuff thats already on the phone. I have a friend with a BB, he has a camera already built in..yet before he is even able to use the already available camera...he has to purchase the program that unlocks the option to use the camera. Rip off if IMO, just my 0.02 cents
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^x2 for sure what joke hahaha charge to use your own camera HA!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wtf service does he have?

Quick Reply: iPhone or Blackberry Storm