Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: iPhone or Blackberry Storm
iPhone
56.00%
Crackberry
40.00%
Neither, just buy a new battery
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

iPhone or Blackberry Storm

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

verison wireless
Old 11-24-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

storm is only available for the VERIZON NETWORK
Old 11-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

or Sprint can not remember which one..could be Tmobile too but I highly doubt it, its either the first or second one I mentioned
Old 11-24-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
You can also tether with the Blackberry, so whats the difference?
not when its for verizon
Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned
SL Member

oh so I was right Verizon..what a rip off lol but I dont know the storm looks pretty sick but it kinda stole everything off the iPhone
Old 11-25-2008, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you do not have to pay verizon to use ur camera...thats ridiculous
Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Update, phone is dead at the moment. When I got it, I also picked up an Invisible Shield screen protector. I've had iPods and know what happens when you wait to get a case. Well, the instructions have you lay it on wet like a headlight overlay, with the phone off of course. Waited the minimum 12 hours, and now the touchscreen won't work. I'm soo ____ed, made even more so after going to the crackberry forums and finding multiple instances of this happening, including a response from the screen maker acknowledging that fact. DO NOT GET THE INVISIBLE SHIELD FOR THIS! Taking it back to Best Buy today for a replacement and a refund on the overlay. Happy I got the Best Buy replacement plan, usually a rip-off for stuff but is no-questions asked. I've had to make use of it on a Palm I had fall out of my pocket onto marble steps and a Gamecube that crapped out, apparently Verizon is now charging a $150 deductable for screen repair on their in-house plans, WTF? Is this a warranty or insurance?

To set the record straight on the Storm's services, here's the breakdown. You need a data plan with Verizon, though why would you get a blackberry without one? It will run $30 on top of whatever voice plan you want for 5 GB of data a month. Text will run $.20 / message, or $5 for 250 without picture and video attachments, or $10 for 500, attachments included. Tethering wil run an extra $15 / mo or $2.99 for 24 hours if you don't use it often. Cheaper than the airport $10 / day anyway.

Blackberry Maps with GPS is free to use, as is the camera and video recording. It comes with an 8 GB removeable memory card. The music transfer thing is also free, unlike on my current Verizon phone where it was an extra $30 for the CD and special cable. Garmin does not have GPS for the Storm yet, and I can't get an answer if the current Garmin Mobile for Blackberry will work with it or not since it was designed for BB OS 4.6 and not 4.7.

The iPhone does have an application that can track MPG and 1/4 mile times via the built in accelerometer. Any dyno numbers would be a pure calculation guess based on times and entering vehicle weight. I haven't had the blackberry long enough to know what apps are out for it, there is the accelerometer to determine if the screen is rotated in it as well, though it's probably not 3-axis.

Signal strength is excellent and the internet is reasonably fast, a little slower than DSL. I haven't even made a call on it yet and they disabled my other phone, so I'll need it reactivated while the blackberry is in for repair. If there are continueing problems though, I may just trade it in for an iPhone on day 29, the floating screen is not sealed so I'm nervous about what would happen to it in the rain, especially after the overlay spray messed it up. My LG 8600 went through the washer and dryer and the only noticeable effect after drying off was reduced battery life.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

IPHONE FTW
Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

IPHONE FTW; AT&T FTL. Also, no expandable memory, removable battery, tethering without jailbreak, true GPS, picture messaging, video recording, cut and paste, word excel and powerpoint, only a 2 MP camera, and no apps running in the background, so to get a call you drop IM.

I don't blame the blackberry, just the screen protector. I was able to get the screen protector refunded and had the blackberry replaced on the spot. Best Buy has been good so far. iPhone's good, Storm is good, just not at all the same stuff. iPhone for games, Storm for business, and suprisingly movies, the screen is the best I've seen on a handheld device in terms of resolution, brightness, low glare, and wide viewing angle.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

why the screen isnt sealed boggles my mind, but i like the phone so far...electronics plus water just dont mix well so i wouldnt do the invisible shield...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Too bad you made ur choice. I got the HTC Touch Pro last week and u could get all the things that u were looking for and more. Not only that but there's a shiz load of programs that u can get for free to make it hapen, not to mention all the hacks that u can do to the phone. How does 1837kps sounds like?, using the phone as a modem with the laptop. I love it.