Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Laptop running slow

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Laptop running slow

Any tech guys out there? My Dell D600 is running really slow - booting it up, opening any programs, etc. CPU usage is almost always at 100%. Now the thing is, the CPU failed a little while ago. I opened it up, replaced the CPU (had to remove heatsink so I applied thermal compound on the top of CPU) and reinstalled. Now it's working, but again, really slow.

Not sure what else I need to do? It's running Windows XP SP3. Any help or suggestions? Do I need to reflash BIOS or do anything else to get it to recognize the new CPU? I'm stuck and this is my personal laptop (not my work one that I'm on now.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

it sound slike you have a process that is killing it. when oyu go in to monitor your CPU usage go into the processes and watch to see which is killing it(taking all of the ****) then try to terminate it and see if that works
Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 PM
s2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much thermal paste did u put on? have u scanned for viruses? wut are the specs of the laptop?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put very little thermal compound on. I followed the instructions that came with it (Arctic Silver). Scanned for viruses, and nothing showed up. It literally started the second I installed the new CPU so I'm thinking it has something to do with that. I've read to reflash the BIOS or adjust the settings, except I don't know how to do that.

Specs are Dell Latitude D600/1.6ghz Intel Pentium M Centrino/512MB/80GB HD/Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3

The CPU I installed is the same specs as the one that it had. Not sure if this helps any, but the fan is also running nonstop, which it didn't do before, but I installed the fan and heatsink exactly like it was.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
s2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if the fan is running non stop, and everything is slower then yes the cpu is overheating. I would go back and clean the thermal paste off and do it again. Put a small dot or pea size of thermal paste and re seat the heatsink to make sure it has good contact.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 PM
s2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah... its best if you use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to clean off the old thermal paste.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I reapplied it once and spread it very thinly with a credit card, but I'll try it again. Maybe I didn't put in the heatsink correctly or something.

Do you know how to reflash the BIOS? I wanted to try that as well but I don't know how to access the BIOS settings...
Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

be carefully when reflasing the BIOS, make sure its plug into the wall and when its not storming outside lol, but anyway here is a link that might help you to update your BIOS if needed, again be carefull when reflashing bios. You shouldnt need to reflash the bios if its the same oem cpu, i would suggest looking into the temp of the cpu first and everything else before moving it BIOS.

Usefull for Driver updates aswell:

**Click Here**

You can download your BIOS from here

**Click Here**

Again be carefull, if you do something wrong it will mess up your motherboard and the computer wont boot up again.