Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

LASIK - Seeing the world in High Definition!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LASIK - Seeing the world in High Definition!

i just had to give props to this procedure in case any of you are considering it. after wearing glasses and contacts for a couple years i decided to get the lasik customvue surgery done. (and it didn't hurt that my g/f works for the doctor and got me a huge discount)

let me say that i am 100% satisfied! i'm still recovering and my vision is supposed to get sharper in the next couple of weeks. on my 2 week follow-up i was seeing 20/10! sweet!!

the difference between my contacts and now is definitely noticeable. everything just looks freak'n crisp and sharp. i just get a kick out of being able to see things so clearly, especially stuff far away. i definitely recommend this procedure to anyone tired of wearing glasses or contacts.

anyone else have this done?
Old 05-22-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

congrats!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been wanting to do this, been wearing glasses and contacts since the 4th grade, so most of my life. When I am able to afford it, I will be having it done, glad your happy with the results.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been wearing glasses since 6th grade, and I would love to have get Lasik....How bad was your eyesight before? I am super nearsighted, and I wonder if I would make a good Lasik cadidate? Also, how much was regular price?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stankubrick, luckily my eyesight wasn't too bad. i was nearsighted, i believe my prescription was -2.75 which isn't too bad and i had only been wearing glasses since about 10th grade. regardless, at the consultation i was told that i would be a perfect candidate which i guess is why i did so well. many things factor into how well you do, ie precsription, astigmatism, how long you've worn glasses, if you've ever worn contacts or not, etc. in the end, i think it's something like 70% of people will achieve at least 20/20. the best thing to do is to get a consultation, which most do for free, and if they're anything like my doctor they'll be totally honest and tell you what to expect. the regular price is $3500, but it varies with each doctor. i hear some places charge up to 4k or so.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had Lasik over two years ago. It's great! You should check it out.
One thing that kills me is the second question you always get asked ( the first being how do you like it )
" How much " These are your eyes your talking about , probably not the best place to be looking for a bargan. And there are differences .
So do a little research, save up and get it done right.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, congrats.
came across a few people
that has done that and heard
nothing but postive features.

need to get that myself.

wake up - put on contacts.
go to sleep - take out contacts.

i admit, i get lazy.
i've slept in my contacts
for about a week.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Love mine. Before I was 20/200 in one eye, and 20/100 in the other with astigmatism. 24 hours after the procedure I was 20/15, and it did improve after that. 2 years out with no negatives.

And looking for a bargain is a very bad idea.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

probably best saved for an opthamologist, but if any of you have asked similar questions....i am farsighted (can't read freeway signs at night til i'm right under them) but i can read the smallest print up close. if i get this surgery will my "close up" vision be affected? i heard i'll need reading glasses if i correct my farsightedness.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcity40
probably best saved for an opthamologist, but if any of you have asked similar questions....i am farsighted (can't read freeway signs at night til i'm right under them) but i can read the smallest print up close. if i get this surgery will my "close up" vision be affected? i heard i'll need reading glasses if i correct my farsightedness.
I think you mean nearsighted. The surgery will not screw anything up. But if I were you,, and they were my eyes, get better opinions from your local surgeon, not some random Scion drivers on the internet.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
I think you mean nearsighted.
yes, that is what i meant. i can't see stuff but got glasses a few years back and they merely made me dizzy, so i just live with the blur. i'd correct it if the close up stuff would stay the same. i read way more than i need to see what stuff looks like from far away. and that whole thing about getting a second opinion...gold.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just wish insurance would cover this.....I'd be all over it like a fat man on a cheeseburger.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcity40
i can't see stuff but got glasses a few years back and they merely made me dizzy
if the glasses made you dizzy, i think they got the prescription wrong, probably made 'em too strong for you. the one time my prescription was too strong i got a headache and started feeling dizzy.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fastandcurious
if the glasses made you dizzy, i think they got the prescription wrong, probably made 'em too strong for you. the one time my prescription was too strong i got a headache and started feeling dizzy.
dizzy is probably the wrong word. you know when you're leaning back on a chair balanced on the rear legs and "that moment" happens when you're just about to fall backward but you catch yourself? the feeling of that moment was how they made me feel. i just stopped wearing them and see blurry....come to think of it, i feel that way often so it may have been a coincedence.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My next major purchase is LASIK. I've been wearing glasses since I was about 11 and contacts since I was 17. I'd love to get the freedom of not having to worry about losing a contact, scratching my glasses, etc.

I was worried about the possible side effects, but now that I've really reasearched the subject I've heard nothing but good results. It seems the LASIK "horror stories" are very seldom nowadays.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still get that dizzy feeling when I hit the transition in my bifocals.....
Old 05-24-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I wish insurance would cover the procedure also. I have seen some doctors offering a deal, $999 per eye, which is a good price in my book. Know two people who had similar procedures done, both happy with results, one has to use eye drops to keep eyes from drying out, something to do with his tear ducts, the other guy was as blind as a bat (like me,lol) and he couldn't be happier.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The eye drops thing is very common. The laser tends to close up the tear ducts, meaning your eyes will dry out. For the best results (vision) you need to keep using drops for like two months.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would gladly use eye drops if I could get rid of the glasses....
Old 05-24-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm use the systane lubricating eye drops at least 4 times a day. my g/f hooks it up with that as well so i go crazy with them lol. by the way, do NOT use visine. that stuff is crap.