Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Look Out For Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Default Look Out For Motorcycles

Please? Some people just don't seem to care...

Long story short, I almost plastered the passenger side of some old man's S-10 today when he decided that he could turn left in front of me at an intersection while I just drove through him like a ghost. ........or maybe he didn't see me. Regardless, I ended up locking up the rear tire and sliding (luckily upright, and on the bike, lol) most of the way through the intersection, and he slammed on brakes as well, stopping JUST in time to where we barely missed each other by a few inches.

And to make it worse, that was the SECOND incident of the day. A little earlier at another intersection, I was about to turn right, and had my signal on mind you. The traffic had just cleared and I was about to leave the stop sign and make my turn when some girl blabbering her head off on the effin' phone flies up on my right side, barely stops at the intersection and then takes off without even so much as looking at me. Had the traffic cleared just a second earlier, giving me time to start rolling, she probably would've nailed me.

This isn't the first time these sorts of things have happened, and it won't be the last. But the guy in the truck today definitely takes the cake so far as my closest call yet. I have come to accept that it's just part of riding. What I really want is one of those extendable batons to carry around like some police officers use. I'm sure people would learn their lesson even faster if they lost a head/tail light or ended up with a couple nasty dents after cutting a biker off or better yet, almost killing him.

/end rant
Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn ... glad nothing happened to you bro~
Old 09-03-2010, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear you made it through the close calls. I've been thinking of getting a motorcycle and have been a lurking on a forum and doing research. With riding motorcycles one has to be more defensive than ever. What bike is it that you ride if you don't mind me asking, I've only taken a friend's '06 Katana 600 up and down the street a few times.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I have a 1999 Ducati Monster 750. That's my baby, and the one I was on during the little episode I was just talking about. She may be old, but she is in mint condition in every category.

Also, my dad and I have a Husqvarna SMR 510 that we both ride about the same amount. I was riding this last week when some lady in front of me started merging into the left turn lane (had her signal on too, it wasn't just her drifting over randomly), and she was taking her sweet time, so when she was halfway out of the lane, I started going around her. Once I was directly beside of her, she started merging back over right on top of me. I was in some 45-50ish mph traffic in a fairly high gear, and didn't have time to downshift enough to punch it and get out in front of her. So I hit the brakes and squeezed between her and the car that was behind me. When we came to the red light up the road, I stopped right on her bumper, and she just looked in her mirror and smiled and waved , and I replied by just shaking my head.

That was this bike.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand (because I'm an addict of posting bike pics) here's dad's 1098. This isn't the most recent pic, he's taken off the "Spider" graphics and the white vinyl that they were on top of, and he also removed the stickers from the windscreen.

Last edited by SCIONshane; 09-04-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your dads 1098 is so sweet. I want the 848 evo.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iceman04503
Your dads 1098 is so sweet. I want the 848 evo.
In all honesty man, I would never tell someone to buy an 848. Primarily because it's just not worth the money. I can't find the price on the actual 848 EVO, but the price for a base 848 is $14k, and I'm sure the EVO would be much more. A base model 1198 is only $16.5k. Either route is going to be a lot of money for a motorcycle, so why not fork out the extra 2.5K and get the real deal?