Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

macbook FTW! NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default macbook FTW! NOT!

so my gf has a fairly new macbook, and one day it downloaded some software updates or whatever, and next thing she knows, it won't start up, it would turn on and just show an apple icon flashing with a question mark or a circle with a slash through it or something.

so she takes it to get repaired under warranty since it is less than half a year old. and the problem the tech who fixed it claims she put an important file in my pictures.

so the amazing macbook was f'ed up because she somehow put an important file in her picture folder? what a fantastic computer! anyway, it sucks because it wasn't covered by warranty, so she had to pay $50 bucks.

meanwhile my new dell PC, which is far cheaper than her new macbook is fabulous!!!

so in conclusion, macbooks suck, and pc's rule

PC FTMFW
Old 04-15-2008, 05:07 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

My macbook was 2 months old when my hard drive failed. I got the same flashing icon at startup. I am still waiting to send it in to Apple.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

And people wonder why I tell them that macs are not without problems (contrary to what the commercials would have you believe)

Any computer can have issues, sucks sorry to hear about your "losses"
Old 04-15-2008, 05:14 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I am still an apple fan. I have to use my desktop pc until my macbook gets repaired and it is killing me. After using apple for a few months I now hate PC!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahahahha ive had the same problem with mine, i got a macbookpro the first gen, 2 months later... fan failure.. a month after, a harddrive failure... 3 months after that i got a the screen backlight go out... what a pos.. . im getting a oldschool thinkpad and put linux on it!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^
well anytime you get the first model year of anything its going to have some problems.
thats a lot of problems though
Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I don't have a problem with PC's... But there's no argument that Windows SUCKS! ...Especially when you bring up the topic of Vista....

I prefer XP to Vista, but I absolutely hate Windows. I build my own computers, and if it were not for the windows giant, Linux would rule the world, Mac still staying in the sidelines.

But IMO, OS X is much more stable, and a big part of that is because it is unix based.

I run a Vaio (JUNK, but I got it free) laptop running XP, for work. I have my Frankenstein home built desktop computer, running Linux. And then there's my heavily modified eMac, running ProTools, for audio recording and editing.

But yes, Mac's tend to be WAY overpriced. About 4 years ago they were built with better components, but Apple's iPod boom and resulting growth of Apple sales has caused them to drop in quality (not much unlike Toyota's recent over expansion).

I have Mac's (that I no longer use) that are older than 15 years, yet I have never had to replace a single component. Most PC's usually have to have some kind of component replaced every 4-5 years. I've gone through a lot of noisy fans, dead power supply's, and drives. It seems that those old 3.25 drives never lasted more than 2 years...

Here's a genius component of windows.... If you have any old XP PC's check to see how big your system restore/windows update folder is. Windows saves every update and a backup point. If you've had the computer more than 5 years and not done a clean windows install, odds are that the folder is nearly 10gigs. Mine was....
Old 04-15-2008, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Macs aren't without their issues; but in my experience, they are a hell of a lot more stable than a Windows machine. (and before anyone asks, I use a Mac at home and I'm also an IT guy for a Windows based install during the day) The fact is, I would've spoken with the store manager, because there is no way they should've charged you for that repair.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

To each computer has there problems. Macs have there share of problems and there use in graphics and the same goes with windows. Im almost certain that the solution to the problem had nothing to deal with what the guy did or told you he did. hahaha
Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

its a computer, it always gets problems... but yeah i had more problems with my pc than my mac.. and factory defects and some glitches will always happen.. things i would love to have in mymacbook, is reading mini disc, lightscribe, blueray? haha, more ports and yea right click lol
Old 04-15-2008, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Everything is going to have problems, but you simply cannot say Windows is superior to OS X. I've dealt with Windows and its issues for 8-10 years. I've been building, fixing and diagnosing computers for about 6 years and I finally gave up on Windows when I got a blue screen during the installation of Vista. Got my iMac 4 months ago and haven't had a single problem with it. I'll never go back to Windows.

Originally Posted by Ace83
its a computer, it always gets problems... but yeah i had more problems with my pc than my mac.. and factory defects and some glitches will always happen.. things i would love to have in mymacbook, is reading mini disc, lightscribe, blueray? haha, more ports and yea right click lol
Get a mouse, OS X has right click.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

You don't even need a mouse... if you're that cheap, just hit control+click. Or if you're on a newer laptop, just tap the touchpad with two fingers, that does a right click too.

I think there's just a lot of mystique surrounding Apple stuff, and it mostly comes from people who have never used em.

They certainly aren't flawless (I have some minor annoyances with my Macbook, but they're nowhere near as frequent and critical as the ones I had on Windows.

I was strongly anti-Mac until my dormmate sophomore year was a Mac guy. He would laugh at me every time my PC bluescreened. So I said 'F You' and bought an iBook (out of spite more than anything else) Either way, it's been 5 years and I haven't looked back.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned
SL Member

As an IT guy I say this... Most of them time it's user error, whether it be on Windows, Mac, Linux, Lindows etc...
Old 04-15-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
I think there's just a lot of mystique surrounding Apple stuff, and it mostly comes from people who have never used em.
Hit the nail on the head. But to go further into it, it's the people who used them in schools while growing up. All the schools around me were using Mac's and they were the biggest pieces of crap back in the 90's. I've already turned 5 people away from Windows and convinced them into getting a Mac, and one of them was always a hardcore PC gamer...I made him use my iMac for a day and his first reaction was 'wtf what a piece of ____, looks nice but I bet it's slow'. After 20 minutes he was hooked. So many people just don't understand that it is by far the best thing out there, I'm not saying it's perfect...it has flaws but no where near as many as Windows.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
As an IT guy I say this... Most of them time it's user error, whether it be on Windows, Mac, Linux, Lindows etc...
+1

And Macs are extremely over priced.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah, actually, the desktop computer i ever used was a mac, i grew up on it, but then after using a pc, i just liked the way it interfaced way better tha the mac did, it just works for me.

hmmm...interestingly enough...my older brother, my dad and i all have pc laptops, yet my mom, sister and gf all use macs...
Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

my complaint for the PC gets broken down into 2 things.

vista

viruses.
(although vista is practically a virus in my eyes)

don't say hey just use XP. why should i have to use the old outdated model? thats like saying the gamecube didn't suck because the N64 was good. its simply not important. the fact is, visa is almost impossibly slow and error prone.

and viruses basically explain themselves.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
hmmm...interestingly enough...my older brother, my dad and i all have pc laptops, yet my mom, sister and gf all use macs...
Are you seriously suggesting that Macs are for girls? You couldn't come up with a legit arguement so you turned to the "Mac___" insult? Hahhaha, PC users..

Originally Posted by teamben158
And Macs are extremely over priced.
$1800 for a dual core 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram (sorry if OSX doesn't take up 1gb of Ram like Vista does lol), 320gb HDD, 8X DVD burner, 2600HD 256MB video card, loaded with software but not all the garbage that comes in Sony's or Dell's, all built into a 24" 1920x1200 display is not overpriced. Not dealing with Windows on a daily basis alone is worth $1000 IMO. They are expensive, I won't deny that, but overpriced is something they are not. Building a system for $800 to match the specs of the iMac (minus the display) and having it be obsolete 6 months after purchasing, is overpriced.
Like I said before, I used to build computers, it was a hobby of mine. I could build a full PC for about $7-900 that could run any game on the market at near max specs. 6 months down the road, needed more RAM, needed a new video card, and sometimes it's not just that. I built a PC with an AGP card like 7 years ago before PCI-e got big, and when I wanted to upgrade, I needed a new motherboard to support PCI-e, which meant I needed a new CPU and new HDD's (switched to SATA).

Sorry, but it's impossible to have reliable, cheap and fast all in one package. I paid a premium price for my Mac, I know that. I knew that when I walked in the store. I knew that when I told the sales person that I was sick of Windows, but for the last 3 months, I've actually been able to turn my Mac off at night, without having the fear or it not turning back on. Without the fear of getting a random crash or blue screen. Without the fear of possibly needed to reformat because Windows couldn't find a driver (lol, drivers). I've gone 3 months being able to plug things into my Mac without some stupid ___ window popping up saying "OMFG LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!! HAY!!! USER LOOK WHAT I FOUND OMFG RUN WIZARD KTHX!!! DO U HAS THE CD FOR THESE DRIVARS!?! IF NOT OMFG GTFO U CANT USE UNLESS U HAS DRIVARSS!!! W8!!! I CAN SURCH ON TEH INTRAWEBS FOR THEM OMFG I CANT FIND GTFO SRY!" ____ing Windows.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I've actually been able to turn my Mac off at night, without having the fear or it not turning back on.
You turn yours off? I keep mine on constantly, I just let it sleep. My system uptime is usually a couple months (depending upon when software updates are rolled out)
Old 04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Originally Posted by draxcaliber
Are you seriously suggesting that Macs are for girls? You couldn't come up with a legit arguement so you turned to the "Mac___" insult? Hahhaha, PC users..
no, not at all, i was just thinking about how my entire family started out with the same mac desktop computer i the early 90's, and yes half of us went to pc's and half got mac's.

i also forgot to mention, but my mom, sister and gf all do graphical work on their computers and i know that macs are unrivaled in this area apparently. but no, i was not bashing them thinking that mac's are for girls.

Quick Reply: macbook FTW! NOT!