Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Madonna...when will she ever stop singing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chillaxin206
Originally Posted by kloquewerk
Originally Posted by matt_a
It just seems weird because she's a female. Look at the male acts like Rod Stewart, ArrowSmith, Stones, Paul McCartney...etc. Some of those guys are well into their 60's and still going strong. Fact is, Madonna can still sing. And like elusivedragon said, she looks pretty darn good for her age. Her style of music needs to evolve with her age, or she'll just be a big joke soon.
Madonna can sing?!?!?!?!? How come I didn't know that?
You've got ot be joking when you say Madonna can't sing. If she couldn't she wouldn't still be on the same label, or created her own for that matter, if that was the case. How many singers are still in the business today that have been in it as long as she has? Not a whole lot. More top 10 singles than Elvis should be another clue that she can sing as well. What's with the hating? Not saying you HAVE to be a fan but damn, at least be honest for the sake of opinion. And I agree with DJ_X_Trodinaire, Hung Up Remix bangs in the clubs.
There are actually quite a few still in the industry today as long as she has been. Doesn't take much to find that out. And singing ability has nothing to do with people having record deals and or stying with the same label....case in point Britney Spears. Album sales or longevity in the industry has not been directly link to singing ability. Some people make it due to their likeability and ability to entertain. Top 10 singles mean nothing at all, there are plenty of crappy singles that make it to the top 10 or even the number one spot (i.e. Chris Brown "run it" which was just recently #1). Trust me I do way to much reading about whats going on in the industry and love music way too much to know that all the things you just pointed out have nothing to do with people's ability to sing. There are plenty of singers far greater than Madonna, who will out sing her on their worst day, who have not had Top 10 singles or her amount of record sales. Hell I even know people without deals who can sing better than her. How do you explain that?

You call it hating, I call it the truth.
Dude, you've got to be kidding me with that. I know some top 10 singles are crap but it's personal opinion. I remember when Whitney Houston came out with "I will always love you" some people were cappin on her because of the notes she hit and said she couldn't sing. These people of course are idiots. People like Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson can sing but it doesn't mean anyone thinks they are GREAT singers. I've been a D.J. and involved in the music industry for about 14 years now and I think I know a thing or 2 about longevity in the business and what people want to hear. Everyone has their personal opinions but to say someone with more top 10 singles than Elvis CAN'T sing is just ridiculous. And Mariah can still sing...just not as noticable with some of the songs she has now because they don't require the same range as her early music due to changing times.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

soon hopefully
Old 12-02-2005, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I loved that Truth or Dare movie... I have much respect for her.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
It just seems weird because she's a female. Look at the male acts like Rod Stewart, ArrowSmith, Stones, Paul McCartney...etc. Some of those guys are well into their 60's and still going strong. Fact is, Madonna can still sing. And like elusivedragon said, she looks pretty darn good for her age. Her style of music needs to evolve with her age, or she'll just be a big joke soon.
Madonna can sing?!?!?!?!? How come I didn't know that?
You've got ot be joking when you say Madonna can't sing. If she couldn't she wouldn't still be on the same label, or created her own for that matter, if that was the case. How many singers are still in the business today that have been in it as long as she has? Not a whole lot. More top 10 singles than Elvis should be another clue that she can sing as well. What's with the hating? Not saying you HAVE to be a fan but damn, at least be honest for the sake of opinion. And I agree with DJ_X_Trodinaire, Hung Up Remix bangs in the clubs.
There are actually quite a few still in the industry today as long as she has been. Doesn't take much to find that out. And singing ability has nothing to do with people having record deals and or stying with the same label....case in point Britney Spears. Album sales or longevity in the industry has not been directly link to singing ability. Some people make it due to their likeability and ability to entertain. Top 10 singles mean nothing at all, there are plenty of crappy singles that make it to the top 10 or even the number one spot (i.e. Chris Brown "run it" which was just recently #1). Trust me I do way to much reading about whats going on in the industry and love music way too much to know that all the things you just pointed out have nothing to do with people's ability to sing. There are plenty of singers far greater than Madonna, who will out sing her on their worst day, who have not had Top 10 singles or her amount of record sales. Hell I even know people without deals who can sing better than her. How do you explain that?

You call it hating, I call it the truth.
Dude, you've got to be kidding me with that. I know some top 10 singles are crap but it's personal opinion. I remember when Whitney Houston came out with "I will always love you" some people were cappin on her because of the notes she hit and said she couldn't sing. These people of course are idiots. People like Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson can sing but it doesn't mean anyone thinks they are GREAT singers. I've been a D.J. and involved in the music industry for about 14 years now and I think I know a thing or 2 about longevity in the business and what people want to hear. Everyone has their personal opinions but to say someone with more top 10 singles than Elvis CAN'T sing is just ridiculous. And Mariah can still sing...just not as noticable with some of the songs she has now because they don't require the same range as her early music due to changing times.
When you talk about music, personal opinion makes a difference because who are the people that buy the albums in the first place? People like me. I don't know where the bit about Ashlee Simpson or Britney Spears came from, because I never once said that they can sing. And to say that someone with more top 10 singles than Elvis can't sing is very well within my right to do. Just like YOU said...personal opinion...key word. Its not like Elvis could sing anyways....that's all subjective....and so is Madonna. Like I said before you cannot equate singles, album sales, or any of that other stuff to someones ability to sing. There are plenty of artist out there who would not be considered great singers who sell tons and have a bunch of top 10 singles. It all depends on what's popular at the time, and how likeable the song is to the people that buy and listen to music. Case in point Britney Spears having the fastest selling album by a female artist with 1.3million in the first week.

And to mention about the Whitney Houston song, people were cappin on here and said she couldn't sing, yet "I will always love you" is the 6th best selling single of all time with 10 million sold. Hmmmm.....not to mention this tops any elvis single (#7 Hound Dog/Don't be cruel with 9million sold) and where is Madonna on the top ten singles of all times list????.....Nowhere....that's where. Oh and let's not forget that Whitney also holds the record for the most consecutive #1 singles with 7.

All this is to say, Madonna does have a great status in the industry. That cannot be denied. But the best singer? I think not. Nor does her top ten singles make her the greatest as we can see there are many other outstanding accomplishments by other artist (some great singers and some not) that Madonna cannot touch.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^dude, you totally missed my point (but agreed with me) all at the same time. No need for me to comment anymore. you had me with this quote you here:

Its not like Elvis could sing anyways
Now that's funny. your comments aren't even sane anymore.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My comments aren't sane?!?!?....lol....My comments are based on my personal opinion just as yours are. I could say your comments aren't sane, but then again that's my personal opionion. So therefore the comment you just made really means nothing because that's just your opinion. Trust me there are plenty of people that think Elvis could not sing, I am not the only one. Your idea of who can and cannot sing maybe different then mine, but that doesn't make my comments any less sane than yours. You should know that by now.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Madonna and Cher should be put in the same boat, taken to sea, and sunk.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

haha....Cher sux too.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ehh
Old 02-10-2006, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

She's not a particularly strong singer, but she is a cultural icon, style-maker, musician, feminist, actress, and mother who isn't going away.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well considering the fact that her current album sales are laughable compared many of the older artist and even many new ones, she will be lost in the rubble somewhere. Pretty much she already has. The hype surrounding Madonna is null and void.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread is even gayer than the Scions and Gays thread, lol
Old 02-10-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

uhhh...sure
Old 02-11-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhhh...sure
Honey, you have so much to learn about Madonna.