Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Magazines Say Forums Are Useless - Except Their Own

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Magazines Say Forums Are Useless - Except Their Own

MOD NOTE: Split this out of the tC forums - rhythm did not create the thread, nor title it - ack

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
First off, whats with everyones obsession to hit 12's and keep their cars a daily driver?? Thats not the easiest task to keep it as a RELIABLE daily driver. Second and most importantly, if people arent sure about what it will take to get themselves to a 12 second pass, I think the best advice someone could possibly give them would to be leave the car as it is. Its very easy for people to come on and say your gonna need this, this, this and that because its been repeated about a million times. I read a really good article in this months turbo magazine about the internet and forums, and if anyone has read it as well, will truly agree with the editor. I see my time here on scionlife slowly dwindeling away in the future. There is pretty much useless knowledge and information on here, and will continue to get worse as time goes on. Read the article if you havent, it will give you a good grip on reality.

I think there is a similar article in Sport Compact Car... yeah, I forsee my time decreasing on here soon as well. To much Drama these days.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
First off, whats with everyones obsession to hit 12's and keep their cars a daily driver?? Thats not the easiest task to keep it as a RELIABLE daily driver. Second and most importantly, if people arent sure about what it will take to get themselves to a 12 second pass, I think the best advice someone could possibly give them would to be leave the car as it is. Its very easy for people to come on and say your gonna need this, this, this and that because its been repeated about a million times. I read a really good article in this months turbo magazine about the internet and forums, and if anyone has read it as well, will truly agree with the editor. I see my time here on scionlife slowly dwindeling away in the future. There is pretty much useless knowledge and information on here, and will continue to get worse as time goes on. Read the article if you havent, it will give you a good grip on reality.

I think there is a similar article in Sport Compact Car... yeah, I forsee my time decreasing on here soon as well. To much Drama these days.
Thats why I post.. It makes me laugh all of the time. You have to post in Forums with a grain of salt. There will ALWAYS be someone who is faster, who knows more, and who thinks they know more. lol, thats what makes it soo much fun to get on a forum.. You just have to join the dark side with me and try to get a rise out of everyone.. it will make you stay much more enjoyable.. hehehehehehehhe
Old 04-26-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

Thats why I post.. It makes me laugh all of the time. You have to post in Forums with a grain of salt. There will ALWAYS be someone who is faster, who knows more, and who thinks they know more. lol, thats what makes it soo much fun to get on a forum.. You just have to join the dark side with me and try to get a rise out of everyone.. it will make you stay much more enjoyable.. hehehehehehehhe

Lol....You are
Old 04-26-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know
Old 04-26-2006, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Only thing "Interesting" about magazines is that they are losing revenue BECAUSE of forums, so their criticisms of forums and such are agenda based as well....

Useless information??? I've saved thousands upon thousands of dollars and met so many contacts which have helped/funded/supported all my mods... without SL... and with a Magazine... I would have surely wasted much more money by not knowing what I've learned here and meeting the people I have... Almost every one of my many mods would have cost me more, or not even happened if I SL wasn't around to connect me to the right people and info...

Why do I need to buy a magazine that tells me what I read here and other places online, but only later and dated and isn't updated when things change, which they always do...

I can go to Barnes and Noble and read every magazine in like 30 minutes and hardly see a thing about the tC and see a crapload of generic info I can find online in many places...

Forums have to be taken for what they are... a community of individuals interested in the same thing... and with any community, it has it's genious individuals and its idiot ones.

People want a 12 second car for the same reasons they ALWAYS have...

My father and his generation did the same thing with their cars... to be faster than the other guy and keep their ride running for the daily crap that has to be done to fund that process.

LoL... just leave it stock...
Where's the fun/challenge/skill/time/money/competition in that? Everyone has to start somewhere and if they don't know... it's better they ask and at least get a little guidance...

Anyways....

Great advice to get in into 12's... just all about money and boost... should be no problem keeping it reliable. Set it up right and run a decent boost controller and know how to work on your ride and you should be able to have few issues keeping it running for daily needs.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

and that my friends is why I respect this man

Well spoken.. you fall into the genious category huh?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
Only thing "Interesting" about magazines is that they are losing revenue BECAUSE of forums, so their criticisms of forums and such are agenda based as well....

Useless information??? I've saved thousands upon thousands of dollars and met so many contacts which have helped/funded/supported all my mods... without SL... and with a Magazine... I would have surely wasted much more money by not knowing what I've learned here and meeting the people I have... Almost every one of my many mods would have cost me more, or not even happened if I SL wasn't around to connect me to the right people and info...

Why do I need to buy a magazine that tells me what I read here and other places online, but only later and dated and isn't updated when things change, which they always do...

I can go to Barnes and Noble and read every magazine in like 30 minutes and hardly see a thing about the tC and see a crapload of generic info I can find online in many places...

Forums have to be taken for what they are... a community of individuals interested in the same thing... and with any community, it has it's genious individuals and its idiot ones.

People want a 12 second car for the same reasons they ALWAYS have...

My father and his generation did the same thing with their cars... to be faster than the other guy and keep their ride running for the daily crap that has to be done to fund that process.

LoL... just leave it stock...
Where's the fun/challenge/skill/time/money/competition in that? Everyone has to start somewhere and if they don't know... it's better they ask and at least get a little guidance...

Anyways....

Great advice to get in into 12's... just all about money and boost... should be no problem keeping it reliable. Set it up right and run a decent boost controller and know how to work on your ride and you should be able to have few issues keeping it running for daily needs.
Read the article man, its very interesting.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Man, I love my job….

Quick trip up to read the article in Turbo Magazine….

My opinion regarding –

I see his point… somewhat… but, lost it when I saw that it was agenda based. He’s starting his own forum, with industry experts and such… so, therefore, he’s criticizing the existing forums available to promote and encourage the one he’s developing… for his profit. That effects his credibility.

His essential point is that forums become full of “So-Called” experts, who gain respect of other users, despite knowing very little, or incorrect information about cars, and then when and individual who does know arrives, he’s met with flaming and criticism from the fakes and impostors and discourages his participation… and that forums do little to nothing to prevent that from happening, which he alludes, his forum will.

I understand what he’s trying to say and many forum “Oldies” would agree that SL and other forums get plastered with the “know it alls” and “flamers”… but found that SL and mods like me try diligently to restrain that and promote good information and a good environment for discussion of products, modifications, and do it yourself tricks. Most of the time we’re met with criticism for restricting the flaming, or useless criticism, under the guise of “Free Speech”…

In short, Magazines and even “Expert” forums can’t really match the effectiveness and usefulness of a community based forum such as SL… it allows us to schedule meet and greets, ask simple and possibly redundant questions, and make connections that you couldn’t otherwise through text, or even the super-regulated/moderated “Expert” hosted forums. Is there room for improvement and do we have troublemakers and faux-experts… YES… but realistically, SL is a very well moderated and very effective forum for those who use it well… I’ve been in VWvortex/BBclub/TDIclub/Myspace/and other Scion forums and none come close to the usefulness and community I’ve seen here….

Interesting article… but from the outside of the forum community, not the inside of it, and could have benefited from an objective position, rather than the position of one who has something to gain by said criticism.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

If not for ScionLife, I wouldn't know who ZPI was.. To that I owe my gratitude.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG.. why dont you just marry the place and get it over with.. hahahahaha

So after a long day at ZPI do your knees hurt? LOL
hahaha

Sry I had to.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these forums can at times be irritating ( remember those recent wonderful Si vs TC days??), but they do give all of us a chance to see what others are doing, get a chance to see how something works, and maybe learn something new ( no matter what our experience is, one can always learn ). Any of the old school guys will tell ya that before internet, cable, etc you really had just a couple ways to get new info: spend a day at a car show/swap meet; run a few times on the street ( yes we know it's wrong ), and hope your buddies also were into cars so you could exchange some ideas.
I've learned quite a bit on this site, which has been helpful in steering us towards what we do or don't want to do to the wife's ride. Probably the biggest thing learned is to tip the hat to the younger crowd: you guys/gals are getting performance out of these small motors that can be comparable to our old muscle cars; and having to do it with much more technology then we ever dreamed of.
Do i miss the feel of driving a car capable of 12's--you bet. I really miss the rush of a 10 sec car; but i'd say those days ( for me ) are over. I'm more interested in having some fun with the car, without all the extra time it can take to push it to the limits. My days have so few hours of playtime available, that spending time in the shop just isn't one of them anymore.
But not knocking those who do enjoy that; there was a time when i did as well. If you can get your car ( regardless of make/model ) into "12's" or whatever your goal is--congrats on the effort, hopefully you achieve your goals with your ride more on the road, not the lift. I would just set goals that improve what you've experienced before: if you've never gone faster then 15, then cracking into the 13's is a big jump for you and will be a noticeable thrill. But if you've been lucky enough to really tear down a track, then go ahead and go for it all on this car...
Hopefully any crap on a forum that can drive you all nuts doesn't drive you all away--the more opinions/inputs/ideas the better....
Man us old guys can go on & on. sorry about that...
Old 04-26-2006, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks Basstrack17, cool post... Much appreciated... nice perspective.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
OMG.. why dont you just marry the place and get it over with.. hahahahaha

So after a long day at ZPI do your knees hurt? LOL
hahaha

Sry I had to.

Stop Hatin...
Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

rhythmnsmoke your forgetting about my car thats there right now. I am sure you wont be the first car of theres thats not a company car thats going to be in the 12s. Sorry man
Old 04-27-2006, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brn2Pla
rhythmnsmoke your forgetting about my car thats there right now. I am sure you wont be the first car of theres thats not a company car thats going to be in the 12s. Sorry man

No, but we can race to see who can get to the track first.... I'll catch up to your car soon enough.

After I'm happy with it's 1/4 mile #'s. I will bump down the boost a little, and turn it into a Time Attack car.

The Future of Imports = Time Attack.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO....the tranny should be back this friday so I hope thats the last time it has to go down there.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seeing as this post got split anyways, i'll ask this "quick" question. Can you really have a sub-13 4cyl car that can be a daily driver? Now i'll admit it's been 2+ decades since i've driven anything 12 or less; and mechanicals were MUCH different. My experience in this area was driving a v8 Pinto that would run too warm, needed frequent tuning; but had some serious get up and go ( 12.10 on st tires ). We could drive it every day, but that didn't make it a "daily" driver. My friend drove his camaro ( 500+hp big block, fully manual AT, and 4.88 rear; 10.71 in 1/4 ) into town every day, at single digit mpg on octane boost. Again he drove it every day, but that was not a reliable daily driver. These were fast cars that were on the pavement all the time, but also took hard work and plenty of green to keep them there.
Maybe i've answered my own question--it may depend on what someone's definition of daily driver really is. Back then, guess that's what we had. But for me now--i'd expect to do no more then put in gas, turn the key, and enjoy....
Guess we'll stay happy with a car that can run somewhere in the 14's, with maybe some work down the road (when warranty isn't such a concern for us) to crack into the 13's. For me, that would be fine; and for my wife--she'd have a blast...
As for you guys busting into the 12's--congrats & enjoy