Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default motorcycle?

hey guys..lately ive been thinkin bout gettin my bike license and gettin a bike..are they easy to drive? which would be a good bike to look into for a first one?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Easy to drive, fairly difficult to get your license. This is my 8th year riding (and I'm only 21). I started on my dad's old Honda CB350. Then, started riding my dad's Kaw KZ650 for a few years. After I got in a fight with him about riding the bike without asking him (which he always let me do anyway because he never rode it...long story), I rebelled and went out and bought my own bike...an '89 Kawasaki EX500. That was the perfect "beginner rocket". Fairly quick, but not too much power. Grew out of it in a year and bought my current bike, a Suzuki GSX-600F Katana. Very fun bike. After two years of riding and drag racing (at a track) I am ready for another upgrade. Looking at a mid to late 90's CBR900RR.

My only advice would be to take a motorcycle safety class (as opposed to just going and taking the tests at the DMV). I got a lot out of the class and it even made me a better driver in my car. Plus, it can help on insurance rates. Also, start small and work up. I "outgrew" my 500 after a year, but it was a great first bike to own. I would recommend buying something older (because you will probably drop it at least once) and something under 600cc's.

Good luck and have fun. Riding a motorcycle is seriously addicting.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by THansenite
Also, start small and work up. I "outgrew" my 500 after a year, but it was a great first bike to own. I would recommend buying something older (because you will probably drop it at least once) and something under 600cc's.

When do you think I'll outgrow my 150? Sorry had to say it...
Anything with two wheels is addictive (even a nice Gary Fisher) so have fun and be safe. I'll also recommend the class.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'll be gettin mine this spring hopefully. Just make sure to take an MSF course!!!
http://www.msf-usa.org/
Old 04-26-2006, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: motorcycle?

Originally Posted by Sal803
hey guys..lately ive been thinkin bout gettin my bike license and gettin a bike..are they easy to drive? which would be a good bike to look into for a first one?
What type of riding do you intend to do? Sporty? Touring? Commuting? Cruier? On/off road (dual sport)? That would help narrow down the field. Also, what is your budget?

My list for a 'beginner':

--Sporty: Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki EX500, Suzuki GS500 - The SV will keep you happy longer term as your skills improve, but is farily forgiving for a sporty bike. The EX and the GS will run out of 'fun' factor much sooner than the SV.
--Touring: On the cheap side Kawasaki Concours (most others are $$$ in the touring circle) Touring bikes are all going to be relatively heavy, and may be very difficult to use for a 'beginner' level. Taking a driving test as a beginner on these bikes would 'suck'.
--Cruiser: Nighthawk 750 (cheap side)
--Dual Sport: Denpends a lot on how agressive you are and how much you weigh. Kawasaki KLR25/650 okay, however, the Suzuki DR350L would be the best bang for the buck, but won't be pleasant if you are shorter.

Want to save some money? Get a bike that is 2+ years old. Most of those above have used versions for thousands less.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im prob just using it for communiting back and forth to work but also just for fun
Old 04-27-2006, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do u have the urge to get on it ?

or just want it , just coz.

it takes awhile to be a good rider. you learn everyday you ride out.

yes i have my m1 already.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no i want to def learn to be a good rider..im thinkin of signin up for classes soon
Old 04-27-2006, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by dskinner
Also, start small and work up. I "outgrew" my 500 after a year, but it was a great first bike to own. I would recommend buying something older (because you will probably drop it at least once) and something under 600cc's.

Anything with two wheels is addictive (even a nice Gary Fisher) so have fun and be safe. I'll also recommend the class.
Haha, you and that scooter

I outgrew the 500, then the 600 because I drag race at a local track. Three years in a row of having the slowest bike at the track...I am ready for more speed. I still won my share of trophies, but I want more power. The craving for more speed and power is addictive for me.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^Time for a Busa or a ZX 14
Old 04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I will have a Hayabusa someday, I am going to be looking for a 98-99 CBR900RR pretty soon. I love those bikes and would be plenty fast for me for a while. The 'busa will be after the 900....gotta step my way up.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^or you could just skip the Busa and Turbo the CBR
Old 04-27-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

LOL, I actually thought about turboing my Katana. That little bike has a TOUGH engine. But I decided when I get my promotion, I will use my better paycheck to buy the CBR. Then keep my eyes open for an old 1000cc or so bike to chop up and turn into a full drag bike with a possible turbo. That will be down the road a ways though.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thansenite,
Whats harder to pick up drag racing or road course?
Old 04-27-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I would say road racing would be harder. Not only do you have to worry about acceleration, but deceleration as well through the corners, hitting the apexes perfectly, knowing how far you can go on your tires, etc. Road racing relies more on the bike as well. If your bike isn't set up as well as the next guy's, you will most likely loose.

I grew up watching drag racing with my dad. I love the all out acceleration aspect of it. Plus, the bike setup doesn't matter as much. As I said in previous posts, I have always had the slowest bike at the strip, yet I rode home with several trophies. Drag racing is more mental. Not only worrying about cutting a perfect light, shifting at just the right time, and keeping the front wheel down and the back wheel from spinning, but you also have to figure out your index of what you "think" you will run and trying to get close to that.

That is how I beat the other racers...I am very good at guessing my time, taking into account how my bike is running, track temp, wind, and several other things. My last time racing, I made it to the finals against a 1300 full drag bike with wheelie bars and everything. My bike was running great that night and I cut a good light off the line. I looked over just as I crossed the line and he was right next to me, but I was slightly in front. Turns out, I ran 3 one-thousandths of a second too fast and brokeout. The guy was a ***** anyway so everyone wanted me to take him out. When I got back to the pits, I kept jokingly saying that I should have eaten one more hot dog before that race and it would have slowed me down that .003 of a second. Oh well, I made it to the finals at least.

There is nothing like the adreniline rush of seeing the light turn green and ripping through the gears as fast as you can. Keep it on the track though.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sal803
im prob just using it for communiting back and forth to work but also just for fun
For a commuter with a bit of fun the SV650, EX500, or GS500 would do well, though the 650 may be a bit overkill.

For shorter commutes and a bit of off-road fun, the DR400L would be okay. Longer commutes would contribute to terminal ___ paralysis.

Overall, for just cruising and commuting, the nighthawk 750 (old or new) is great. If you do not weigh a lot, want great gas mileage, and a very easy to learn on bike, the little nighthawk 250 is a 65+ MPG commuter. The drawback to any of the small bikes is the 'fun factor' will peter out very quickly.

You can probably find a used GS500 or EX500 for under $2K in good shape. A decent Nighthawk 750 for a bit more (unless you go back a few years...a 90-92 era bike with 10K miles would probably go under a grand).
Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by dskinner

Haha, you and that scooter

I outgrew the 500, then the 600 because I drag race at a local track. Three years in a row of having the slowest bike at the track...I am ready for more speed. I still won my share of trophies, but I want more power. The craving for more speed and power is addictive for me.
I actually hope to own a Suzuki SV650 in a couple of years... Then eventually, one of my favority two bikes, the Triumph Speed Triple or Ducati S2R Dark. Man I love those naked bikes!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The Duc Monster is one of my favs'

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ati&pr=goog-sl
Old 04-28-2006, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

^^^ That guy isn't human... There's NO way!
Sweet vid, absolutely amazing.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i started out on my current bike, an 03 gsx-r600. it was a big jump up from the dirt bikes i had been riding since i was little, but if your not dumb about it, it's manageable. i took the MSF safety course also.

Quick Reply: motorcycle?