Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Motorcycle question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Motorcycle question

A couple friends and I are getting motorcycle licenses to battle these evil prices on gas and because quite frankly I don't drive with people very often or very far at all. I was looking at the new 2008 ninja 250r's and I love them. They may be slow for a bike but much faster than I car so I doubt i'd care especially since its a first bike. Anyone have good advice for motorcycles besides that? I really don't know much about bikes.
thank you for your input
Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sign up for a class with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, and buy a Snell approved full face helmet. The two best investments you can make.

I rode in L.A. for 7 years; most car drivers are too busy eating, changing music, or talking on the phone. A motorcycle is just a moving target on two wheels.

Oh, and make sure you have really good health insurance. It probably won't be your fault, but when car meets motorcycle... the car wins every time.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DO NOT BUY A NEW BIKE if it's your first bike!!!!!!!! You WILL drop it and/or get into an accident so you do not want to do that to a new bike. I suggest looking on craigslist for a used one for your first year of riding. After your first year, then look into upgrading.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Yea I have to take the classes because I am under 21 but I am going to go full gear. Just opinions on motorcycles. I don't really want to buy used cause...you can trust a car if something goes wrong like the brakes get stuck or something but on a bike I wouldn't want anything even minor to happen.
I was just wondering opinions...The new ninja 250rs are only 3500 and I have yet to find a decent bike for cheaper. I am also a pretty big guy though and have to take that into consideration 5'11 205 lbs.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Sign up for a class with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, and buy a Snell approved full face helmet. The two best investments you can make.

I rode in L.A. for 7 years; most car drivers are too busy eating, changing music, or talking on the phone. A motorcycle is just a moving target on two wheels.

Oh, and make sure you have really good health insurance. It probably won't be your fault, but when car meets motorcycle... the car wins every time.
x2

if you take this class, the dmv doesnt even require you to get you permit first and insurance companies give you a nice discount so its def worth it....

if youve never ridden a bike, a street bike at that, i would highly recommend getting a Suzuki DRZ400....either the regular dual sport or preferably the SuperMoto version. the handling on these bikes are superb and dont require that much effort to ride.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Well ive ridden bikes (dirt bikes and such) before just not street bikes. I am sure its a whole different experience haha. I just want to stay under 4 g's...Can't really find any decent ones for that
Old 06-29-2008, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sure you can...

4g's will get you an older suzuki sv650 or a lower end ninja, both good starter bikes. I would tell you to get a cbr 929rr if youd had more expierence, you can find those for 4g's as well.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

^ooo tempting..but I must stray from temptation cause I know ill just become a rolling donor if I get something too fast first...
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bikes

A ninja 250 is NOT faster than a car. For the price you get a nimble bike, the only thing I don't really like about it is that it takes forever to get up to highway speeds and may be a bit dangerous in that regard (used 250s go for near the new price minus the taxes and registration so, like you, I would prefer to buy it brand new as well). A 600 is a good starter size as well and gives you much better acceleration.

From a guy who used to commute about 80 miles a day in Los Angeles rush hour traffic, I have to say that it will get VERY tedious. Imagine 100+ ambient temperature while sporting a full face helmet, leather gloves, riding pants, leather jacket and riding boots. (Suggestion, get a backpack with a camelback pouch and carry icewater with you during the summer) IT WILL SUCK. You may save a few $ on gas and such, but after being taken out by cars several times, recovering from each wreck, heat and comfort.....I would seriously say that it's not worth it.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I did the opposite of what people said. I bought a 07 CBR1000.......Im not going to say the rest but I'm still riding.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a really big guy if you're big at 205. Suzuki makes the most awesome starter bike in the SV650. And people I know with them never get rid of them even after getting something bigger. Might be worth the extra change.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SV's are good bikes, not very fast in the straight line but they handle well. I know a guy with one that will ride in the A class at track days with guys on their liter bikes on his 650 and they take him in the straights no doubt but he passes them every time in the turns, they are very nimble and are awesome bikes if you know what you're doing.