Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

MP3 CDs (How-To)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default MP3 CDs (How-To)

This tutorial is for the people who would like to know how to burn a compliant MP3 CD for their stock (and aftermarket?) head unit. I personally use Nero 6 (version 5 has the same settings). The settings can easily be adapted to other burning software such as Roxio's Easy CD Creator. These settings have worked for me flawlessly for all the MP3 CDs I've made.

In Nero 6, if in Express Mode, click the Nero button to go into Advanced Mode. Once in Advance Mode, Click on File > New. Once there, verify these settings.
Originally Posted by mikochu
Info Tab:
Keep the CD contents under 700MB. You can try overburning to about 702MB. I do not suggest you do this, though. Your CD/DVD writer may not like it.

Multisession Tab:
Multisession: No Multisession

ISO Tab:
Filename Length: Max. of 31 Characters (ISO Level 2)
Format: Mode 1
Character set: ISO9660 (standard ISO CD-ROM)
Joliet CHECKED
Relax ISO Restrictions
Allow path depth of more than 8 directories CHECKED
Allow more than 255 characters in path CHECKED
Do Not Add the ';1' ISO file version extension UNCHECKED
Relax Joliet Restrictions
Allow more than 64 characters for Joliet names CHECKED

Label Tab:
Volume Label
ISO 9660: (Anything you want... capitalized and underscores for spaces)
Also use the ISO 9660 text for Joliet CHECKED

Dates Tab:
Keep defaults...

Misc Tab:
Keep defaults...

Burn Tab:
Action:
Determine maximum speed UNCHECKED
Simulation UNCHECKED
Write CHECKED
Finalize CD CHECKED
Write Speed: (Dependent on your CD writer. CDs written at 40x works fine with me)
Write Method: Disc-at-Once (Although Track-at-Once and Disc-at-Once/96 should work as well)
Buffer underrun protection CHECKED (if available)
Use multiple recorders UNCHECKED
Do a virus check before burning UNCHECKED
The MP3s themselves have bitrates ranging from Constant Bit Rate (CBR) 128kbit-192kbit to Variable Bit Rate (VBR) maxed at 320kbit. I know there might be audiophiles out there, but I just use Nero's CD ripping software. All mp3s I've thrown at my stock head unit has played. Although, those of you who use p2p software such as Kazaa and Limewire, the mp3s you download might have data "hiccups." These mp3s might have lost data integrity through the p2p network, or just poor encoding. I only suggest mp3s you have ripped yourself via their Compact Disc counterpart.

My MP3 CDs are well organized with Artist names folders in the root directory. In the Artist Directory, I have the Album names folders. In each Album folder, I have all the mp3s numbered and titled. The stock head unit will go through the directories alphabetically, if not by the order of how the mp3s were burned. Though, most CD Burning software organizes files/folders numerically/alphabetically...

root:\05 - song title.mp3
root:\Artist01\Album01\01 - Artist - Song Title.mp3
root:\Artist01\Album02\CD1\01 - Artist - Song Title.mp3
root:\Artist01\Album02\CD2\01 - Artist - Song Title.mp3

I personally save the compilations just in case one of the CDs gets scratched or misplaced (stolen by a passenger!)

If you have any questions, please post in this thread.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there any way to eliminate the short delay between tracks on an MP3 CD? I use Windows Media Player to burn rip the music from a CD, then convert to MP3, and I have the stock head unit.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Nope, I haven't found a way to do that... You could fix it by making the mp3s into 1 big one, but that's too cumbersome...
Old 11-17-2004, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gotta couple questions, some are related with the head unit more than the CDs but seems to fit here...

1. Is there a way to skip tracks like 10 at a time rather than having to hit the up or down button 50 times?

2. Is there a way to rename the "root"?

3. And is there a way to skip time when listening to a long mp3 file such as a dj mix, like 10 minutes each time?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member

Default Mp3 Problems: mp3 tracks "stutter"

I have the in-dash 6CD in my tC, and although it plays regular CDs fine, I keep getting glitches when playing mp3s. The track sounds like there is a stutter to it, like the file is corrupted. But when I play the mp3s elsewhere, they sound fine. I'm starting to think it's the quality of the deck now.
- I do not download; all the tracks were ripped by me.
- I have tried recording at higher bitrates (going from 96 upto 160).
- I have tried enabling error-correction when ripping from the CDs.
- I have tried using both Nero AND Real Player to burn my mp3 discs.
I'm at a loss now. Is there anyone else having these problems? Does anyone have any suggestions to help?
Thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I make all my MP3 CDs using iTunes...the song title text comes through, but not the artist or CD title text. Also, I haven't been able to create folders for different artists/CDs and such. Anyone have any idea on how to do this in iTunes?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nero has a way to get rid of the 3 second delay (the negative countdown) till the next track. if you're really that interested i'll look at it to tell you how to do it but i don't have the program right in front of me.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member

Default Better Results With Variable Bit Rate MP3

I posted earlier with MP3 troubles...
Since then I've recorded all my MP3s using VBR at the highest setting (on Real: ~192khz), and I've had better results: no more "stuttering" on the tracks. All looks well, but I'll update again if this is just a temporary fix...
In the meantime, I loaded up my 6-CD and now I have ~750 tracks to play without ever having to change a disc!
Old 12-20-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I got the glitches problem too and I dont know what to do with it!!

donjay322, when you say : since then I've recorded all my MP3s using VBR at the highest setting (on Real: ~192khz), and I've had better results: no more "stuttering" on the tracks.

Do you mean when you burn the MP3, or when you encoded it yourself from the original CD?

Thanks
wawa 86 MR2 MKI SC & 05 Scion tC
Old 12-20-2004, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member

Default MP3 Glitches

wawamr2:
I rip all my mp3s from the original cd, and I encode them when I rip to VBR ~192+.
When I burn the mp3 CD, I don't use Real player anymore (or any other mp3 manager). I just drag and drop the files using Easy CD Creator.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Kremtok
Is there any way to eliminate the short delay between tracks on an MP3 CD? I use Windows Media Player to burn rip the music from a CD, then convert to MP3, and I have the stock head unit.
a lot of step
you will need a mp3 to wav converter wav editor cut off the "dead" air
convert back to mp3 or go ahead burn wav to CD

or become a DJ and Mix em up!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use Roxio CD Creator and can eliminate the gap. I can even overlap songs so that one fades as the next comes in. It is all done automatically by setting the options correctly. There's no need to convert to wav/mp3/back to wav, as this 3-second gap is not part of the song. It's a function of the recording process and is inserted by the software during the burn process. I use this setting when I need to create a seamless effect, like a CD of a live performance.

For ripping I use CDex. It's freeware and works great. It's pretty user friendly and free of all the little doodads that bog software down. It will convert WAV to MP3, MP3 to WAV and it will rip CDs to WAV or MP3. It communicates with CDDB remote, pulling all of your album titles/song titles/etc... in for you automatically. I rip at very high bitrate. IIRC it's called. alt.insane. I'm in the process of ripping my 800+ CD collection so that I can burn a few mp3 DVDs and put the originals away (and or sell them.)

If I remember to, I'll take a screenshot of each of these pieces of software.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

guys i just wanted to give everyone a heads up about a GREAT little program called mpTrim (formerly mp3Trim). with this program you don't need to convert the files to wav's or anything. it trims the silence at the beginning and end like a champ. i highly recommend it!

http://www.mptrim.com/
Old 03-23-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Musicmatch

Hi,

I didn't see any mention of Musicmatch Jukebox in this thread, but it does a very nice job of creating MP3 CD's from files on your pc.

I have created a few discs from my PC files and they play very nicely. I rip at 192 Kbps and they sound fine to me.

Musicmatch has a free version for testing. I had purchased their "PLUS" version some time ago, and it does the job very well.

No affiliation with Musicmatch. Just a satisfied user.

Dave
Old 06-14-2005, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default help please cd >>> mp3

Ok... I just orderd my scion XB and the guy told me instead of getting the 6disc changer to just burn mp3's on cd's. My sister just got a new laptop with Itunes. My question is it possible to take CD's and transfer them into MP3 with Itunes?
I never messed with mp3 before but would like to now just so i don't have to carry so many cd's. PLEASE respond if you can help my scion should be here in a few weeks thank you.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm trying to burn MP3s to CD-RW so that I can add more songs as time goes on.

I use Nero 6.

how do I prepare the CD-RW disk so that it's prepared to add more songs in later times? Also, what's the correct steps to burn mp3 to CD-RW disk using Nero?

Thx
Old 08-04-2005, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i duno would turning the cd into a direct cd would play correctly on the cd player, u have to try it
Old 09-27-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to take out the gaps/pause in between tracks is easy... you gotta convert all the songs to wav make sure that any excess pause is cut off (ie - on dj mixes) and take it to nero and when you're burning it, you should have an optop where you click no gaps/pause(something like this on the side) and tahts it. I use this when I burn out dj mixes its a plus because you can skip tracks whenever and still hear the whole cd as one mix.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mm, i don't think you can "fade" songs if you are burning your cds as mp3 format, i believe you are doing it as cd format for regular cd players? that eliminates the gap and allows cross fades. If i am wrong, then i will hafta use the software you are using XD

for the mp3 players, you just burn as a data format. which burns exactly format it is on your computer. You will have to cut those slienced gap as mentioned above

any way, i am here to also give a tip

the less folders you have, the less gap it will have between tracks. i believed this was mentioned in the stereo manual some where, but if not, o wellz, there is the tip
Old 05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Um... is this serious?
As long as you have windows XP you just put a blank cd in the drive. It asks you if you want to open a directory to burn stuff on the cd. You click it. Then put the files in the directory. Then you click "Burn to cd." No software or goofy settings necessary.

Quick Reply: MP3 CDs (How-To)