Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Multiple Tint Violation tickets..

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hate it when cops have nothing better to do than pull you over for your tints. they should make a law that states; tints should only be a secondary offense and not a primary reason to be pulled over.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

^^^Listen, some cops are strictly traffic cops...Some cops are patrol cops...Each have a different job to do...However, I do somewhat agree with you to a cetrain extent...In Arizona, we are not aloud to pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt, but it is a secondary offense so I know where you are coming from
Old 05-27-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by rolloutrs1
i hate it when cops have nothing better to do than pull you over for your tints.
And I hate when people a few years removed from living with mommy and daddy that don't know jack about the real world post here with ignorant comments like yours. They are doing their job, which is enforcing the law, whether you agree with it or not; just because they don't find someone speeding or driving dangerously doesn't mean they should stop doing their job. Perhaps when you grow up one day you'll understand.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seatbelts were a secondary offense here in Washington state, but, as expected, there were the usual folks who refused to comply. That was changed a while back to be a stand-alone offense, and our compliance has risen to the highest in the US...
:D

It is indeed sad when folks don't have the ethics to obey laws unless there is a good chance of getting caught and punished. Obeying the law shouldn't be based on whether or not one thinks they will get caught. *sigh*

Tom
Old 05-27-2007, 02:35 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
i hate it when cops have nothing better to do than pull you over for your tints.
And I hate when people a few years removed from living with mommy and daddy that don't know jack about the real world post here with ignorant comments like yours. They are doing their job, which is enforcing the law, whether you agree with it or not; just because they don't find someone speeding or driving dangerously doesn't mean they should stop doing their job. Perhaps when you grow up one day you'll understand.
I totally agree and after reading the this entire thread (expect the extremely long post). Has anyone ever thought that the tint law was made up for a reason. I'm sure that when the no tint front windows law came about some dumb, ignorant, thoughtless bastards decided to shoot a cop. While i don't really like cops, because of some of the bad ones out there, we need them. i can't igmagine the chaos that this country would have w/o them. It's already bad with cops, if they weren't around there would be absolutely no order and discipline.

What do you really expect when you put 20% and below on your car, when the law states that front tint is illegal period. I'd pull you over too. It's a freakin given win for them. I don't agree with the whole 'roll up your windows, so i can see how dark your tint' is though.

I had 50% on my fronts when I was in Cali and never had a problem. I drove around base EVERYDAY, when I was on land, and never had a problem. And anyone in the armed forces knows that most military police, DO NOT have anything better to do, or land and especially out-to-sea. They are part of the reason why I don't really favor police. Two different worlds I know but still.

Okay I'm done.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by purpled_out_tC
Originally Posted by 2fast4you
I totally agree and after reading the this entire thread (expect the extremely long post). Has anyone ever thought that the tint law was made up for a reason. I'm sure that when the no tint front windows law came about some dumb, ignorant, thoughtless bastards decided to shoot a cop. While i don't really like cops, because of some of the bad ones out there, we need them. i can't igmagine the chaos that this country would have w/o them. It's already bad with cops, if they weren't around there would be absolutely no order and discipline.

What do you really expect when you put 20% and below on your car, when the law states that front tint is illegal period. I'd pull you over too. It's a freakin given win for them. I don't agree with the whole 'roll up your windows, so i can see how dark your tint' is though.

I had 50% on my fronts when I was in Cali and never had a problem. I drove around base EVERYDAY, when I was on land, and never had a problem. And anyone in the armed forces knows that most military police, DO NOT have anything better to do, or land and especially out-to-sea. They are part of the reason why I don't really favor police. Two different worlds I know but still.

Okay I'm done.
Ok, I respect what you are saying purpled_out_tc, but I want you to think about this...In your post, you say "i really dont like cops because of SOME of the bad ones"...To me, that is being prejudice and sterotypical...During my 17 year career, I have arrested all ethnic origins for very bad crimes! Now, since there are bad people in every race does that mean that I should not like people? That would be wrong and a terrible way to live my life! Come on, don't let a FEW bad cops out there ruin your feelings towards the good ones out there...I promise you, there are WAY more good cops than bad, however you only hear about the bad ones! Who are you going to call when your house gets burglarized, car gets broken into or vandalized, or someone hurts you? The POLICE right...Since you don't like them, make sure you tell them that when they come to help you...
Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tint Violations

I still think Tint tickets are dumb. The laws should NOT vary from state-state. If they are going to make tint illegal...make it illegal. If not then let it be. I think it's completely unfair for some one to live in another state and be able to have tint which us in california get hassled left and right.

ALSO to the COP who posted and called me an IDIOT...I thank you for your comment.

I did say that I didn't care if a cop got shot in the face BUT i didn't literally mean it..I was just so angry about my ticket at the time that I was just saying dumb things. I WON'T change my post because as you say you've already read it and it won't make a difference on how u feel towards me so what ever.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

First off, let me say- I want to be a cop and support the reasoning behind the law, I also like dark tint and so when I decided to get 20% wrapped around, I knew I had a good chance of being cited for having it.
I was pulled over for my tint at 2am driving home from DC, I also was upset- I wasn't speeding or anything, just got the tint ticket- but knew it was wrong so now I have to pay the piper. Am I going to remove it? Eh, i might wait till my next ticket before I do so- I didn't get a "fix-it" ticket, aka a workorder ticket... just a fine-- I think its gonna cost me around $90 for it.
But I know the reasoning behind the law, and how important it is for officers to be able to see what circumstances they are walking up on.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:35 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The whole thing of holding the shop liable contradicts 90% of the people on this board.
Tint is no different than adding an intake to your car. It is meant for off road use only. And most tint shops will have that as a disclaimer. Alot of stuff is sold on the market that is not mean for the purpose it will be used for.
It is up to the consumer to either do the right, or wrong thing.

a major example:
ALL fog lights sold that are not a from a dealer or labeled for off road use only, but EVERY automotive store carries them. Do you think walmart should be held liable if i get pulled over for having fog lights?

oh and on the subject, quit complaining, you know the tint is illegal, you cant pick and choose what are good and bad laws.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:54 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Ok, I respect what you are saying purpled_out_tc, but I want you to think about this...In your post, you say "i really dont like cops because of SOME of the bad ones"...To me, that is being prejudice and sterotypical...During my 17 year career, I have arrested all ethnic origins for very bad crimes! Now, since there are bad people in every race does that mean that I should not like people? That would be wrong and a terrible way to live my life! Come on, don't let a FEW bad cops out there ruin your feelings towards the good ones out there...I promise you, there are WAY more good cops than bad, however you only hear about the bad ones! Who are you going to call when your house gets burglarized, car gets broken into or vandalized, or someone hurts you? The POLICE right...Since you don't like them, make sure you tell them that when they come to help you...
But your job includes to not discriminate. I keep all cops at bay, I've met some cool ones, and have talked with them. Until they prove otherwise then, yes, I put them into a stereotype. I'm military and I get typed all the time, not to mention when I went to different countries, American and military. And I'm a female, so the labels that we get ones us should be different than our male counterparts, but they're not. So I deal with it and do not prove them right. I haven't been around enough cops period, good or bad; however, I've seen more bad than good, but I know there's good ones. So if I tell the cop that someone broke in and that BTW I don't really care for them, will they not do their job?? I never said I could care less if they get shot or stabbed, one of them get killed still strikes hard with me because they were doing something for their city/country.

Originally Posted by stCx86
I still think Tint tickets are dumb. The laws should NOT vary from state-state. If they are going to make tint illegal...make it illegal. If not then let it be. I think it's completely unfair for some one to live in another state and be able to have tint which us in california get hassled left and right.
Because floks in Montana and North Dakota have a crime rate as bad as Cali. Come on now. So move your tush to a state that will allow you to have the tint. The tint laws weremade because of criminal idiots. So yes they should vary from state to state. In Texas they get dark tint ion the front windows b/c of the heat, I bet folks in Palm Springs don't have a tint ticket surplus. I sure the cops would understand the need out there. There is no need for dark tint in West Covina, Compton, Santa Monica, Ventura, etc.

I hope you grow out of this whole blame game, and just accept your responsibilites. Learn the rules. Go by the rules. Or pay. And that relates to more in life than just tint laws,
Old 05-27-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Default Re: Tint Violations

Originally Posted by stCx86
First, the population of each state has the right to set their own laws and govern their own highways, that's how it's been 230+ years. Second, if it makes you feel better, there are federal Department of Transportation limits on front window tint (70% Visual Light Transmission [VLT], the front window tint on the tC is 74.4% VLT) and guess what? California is one of only 10 states that actually follow and enforces those limits.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I DO think that the tint laws are stupid.
Simple answer: Cop pulls someone over. Cop yells or uses speaker to tell driver/passenger to roll down windows before getting to the car. Problem solved.

I got pulled over on St. Patrick's Day night (8PM) going home from work, driving the speed limit (as noted on the ticket)
I got solely pulled over for tint!
30% tint.
Friday night, biggest drinking holiday of the year, Los Angeles, and I get pulled over for that?
BS.
Now as I said, I knowingly broke the tint law, and I didn't fight it or give the cop crap (CHP)
I DO think it's stupid.
I DO think that guy was an ___.
I don't have 5% and I was breaking no other laws and in fact was likely one of few sober drivers on the freeway at that moment.

I see 100s of vehicles every day with 5% all-around, and don't get pulled over.
Did I get pulled over because of the car I was driving?
Most assuredly so.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

**purpled_out_tc quote:**
*****"But your job includes to not discriminate. I keep all cops at bay, I've met some cool
ones, and have talked with them. Until they prove otherwise then, yes, I put them into a stereotype. I'm military and I get typed all the time, not to mention when I went to different countries, American and military. And I'm a female, so the labels that we get ones us should be different than our male counterparts, but they're not. So I deal with it and do not prove them right. I haven't been around enough cops period, good or bad; however, I've seen more bad than good, but I know there's good ones. So if I tell the cop that someone broke in and that BTW I don't really care for them, will they not do their job?? I never said I could care less if they get shot or stabbed, one of them get killed still strikes hard with me because they were doing something for their city/country."*****

Help me to understand...How do you see more bad cops than good? So, when your getting pulled over does that instantly make them a bad cop...Get caught doing something illegal, does that make them a bad cop?...Of course, if someone is getting stopped all the time for illegal things (yes if tint is illegal in your state than it's still illegal) why does it make them a bad cop...When does a persons own accountability come in to play? Again, not dissing you purpled_out_tc because you atleast post intelligent resposes...

It amazes me that those who complain about being pulled over for tint, knowingly entirely that it is illegal, think the cop was stupid, lame, or whatever they want to say about them...If you don't want to be stopped for tint violations, take the tint off...This is NOT directed at you purpled_out_tc...

As for the original poster, I will take back my name calling "the Loser emoticons" I directed at you...Just as you were ____ed that you got pulled over and you posted angrily, I too posted when I was angry...Listen, don't judge people until you meet them...Even when you get a ticket, the cop can still be a good guy...I hate writing tickets, not my cup of tea, however when the time comes, I am professional and curteous to the violator...Nobody LIKES tickets but it is a fact of life...There are laws and there are the enforcers...

PS, everyone have a safe and happy holiday weekend!
Old 05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SciontCya
Simple answer: Cop pulls someone over. Cop yells or uses speaker to tell driver/passenger to roll down windows before getting to the car. Problem solved.

I got pulled over on St. Patrick's Day night (8PM) going home from work, driving the speed limit (as noted on the ticket)
30% tint.
Friday night, biggest drinking holiday of the year, Los Angeles, and I get pulled over for that?
BS.
Now as I said, I knowingly broke the tint law, and I didn't fight it or give the cop crap (CHP)
I DO think it's stupid.
I DO think that guy was an butt.
I don't have 5% and I was breaking no other laws and in fact was likely one of few sober drivers on the freeway at that moment.

Most assuredly so.

Just because your windows are down doesn't mean u can see into the car, Your not rolling down your rear windshield window, which is where the cop is walking from. Even with the windows down if the rear is black the cop is walking up to the car blind, so come'on.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The whole thing of holding the shop liable contradicts 90% of the people on this board.
Tint is no different than adding an intake to your car. It is meant for off road use only. And most tint shops will have that as a disclaimer. Alot of stuff is sold on the market that is not mean for the purpose it will be used for.
It is up to the consumer to either do the right, or wrong thing.

a major example:
ALL fog lights sold that are not a from a dealer or labeled for off road use only, but EVERY automotive store carries them. Do you think walmart should be held liable if i get pulled over for having fog lights?

oh and on the subject, quit complaining, you know the tint is illegal, you cant pick and choose what are good and bad laws.
There actually is a logical and obvious difference between Mall-Wart selling someone a set of "off-road only" aux lights and a shop putting tint on a vehicle that is unquestionably licensed for street use, pulled in off the street, and pulls back onto the street when the job is done. In one the retailer had no control over the use, in the other they did.

Tom

P.S. When it gets dark I can take my sunglasses off and see just fine. DO NOT try to convince anyone that you can see at night as well through 5% or 30% as I can through my normal glass. It is not just for the safety of an officer making a stop, but for everyone else's safety, too. To try to argue otherwise is the purest BS.

{Damned tpyos!}
Old 05-27-2007, 07:18 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

**purpled_out_tc quote:**
*****"But your job includes to not discriminate. I keep all cops at bay, I've met some cool
ones, and have talked with them. Until they prove otherwise then, yes, I put them into a stereotype. I'm military and I get typed all the time, not to mention when I went to different countries, American and military. And I'm a female, so the labels that we get ones us should be different than our male counterparts, but they're not. So I deal with it and do not prove them right. I haven't been around enough cops period, good or bad; however, I've seen more bad than good, but I know there's good ones. So if I tell the cop that someone broke in and that BTW I don't really care for them, will they not do their job?? I never said I could care less if they get shot or stabbed, one of them get killed still strikes hard with me because they were doing something for their city/country."*****

Help me to understand...How do you see more bad cops than good? So, when your getting pulled over does that instantly make them a bad cop...Get caught doing something illegal, does that make them a bad cop?...Of course, if someone is getting stopped all the time for illegal things (yes if tint is illegal in your state than it's still illegal) why does it make them a bad cop...When does a persons own accountability come in to play? Again, not dissing you purpled_out_tc because you atleast post intelligent resposes...
None of what you mentioned makes "bad" cops. Honestly I hardly ever get pulled over; 2 times were uncalled for (one by base poilce, the other by crazy driving miami-dade county police) and the other 2 were totally on me(base police didn't like my 'it's a sunday @730 in the am and i have duty and am mad late california rollin stop' and for speedinf in Fl 48 in a 35). When I said bad cop think of the Shawn Bell incident, or the riverside incident where a 18 girl was shot b/c she was suspect and seen as a threat, but in reality she was having a seizure and foaming at the mouth, or the NY city cause where the african immigrant was shot 41 times when he was just taking out his wallet. I wasn't present in any of these incidents, but the facts were displayed on paper. I'm sure that if we ever met YELOSUB, we would get along great; don't hold it against me that I don't favor cops, and I won't knock you for being one. I honestly don't even make cop jokes, b/c I respect what they do, the bad ones just give you good ones a bad rap. Don't let it make you angry (or at least show that it makes you angry), just keep it moving....as long as you live right, and do your job by the law you have nothing to prove to me or anyone esle. Your actions will speak louder the your words.

As far as accountability....I'll quote myself again
Originally Posted by purpled_out_tc
Because folks in Montana and North Dakota have a crime rate as bad as Cali. Come on now. So move your tush to a state that will allow you to have the tint. The tint laws weremade because of criminal idiots. So yes they should vary from state to state. In Texas they get dark tint ion the front windows b/c of the heat, I bet folks in Palm Springs don't have a tint ticket surplus. I sure the cops would understand the need out there. There is no need for dark tint in West Covina, Compton, Santa Monica, Ventura, etc.

I hope you grow out of this whole blame game, and just accept your responsibilites. Learn the rules. Go by the rules. Or pay. And that relates to more in life than just tint laws...
It amazes me that those who complain about being pulled over for tint, knowingly entirely that it is illegal, think the cop was stupid, lame, or whatever they want to say about them...If you don't want to be stopped for tint violations, take the tint off...This is NOT directed at you purpled_out_tc...
I feel the same way, I laugh when I see those post. It's like it's your own d@mn fault, the cop has to get paid too. If he's not showing that he's doing something with his time then guess what....no more job for that cop.[/quote]
Old 05-27-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by aiverson1
Originally Posted by SciontCya

30% tint.
BS.
I DO think it's stupid.
I DO think that guy was an butt.

Most assuredly so.

Just because your windows are down doesn't mean u can see into the car, Your not rolling down your rear windshield window, which is where the cop is walking from. Even with the windows down if the rear is black the cop is walking up to the car blind, so come'on.
Um, you should think before posting.
REAR WINDOW TINT IS LEGAL.
So, please think before you ruin the thread.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
P.S. When it gets dark I can take my sunglasses off and see just fine. DO NOT try to convince anyone that you can see at night as well through 5% or 30% as I can through my normal glass. It is not just for the safety of an officer making a stop, but for everyone else's safety, too. To try to argue otherwise is the purest BS.

{Damned tpyos!}
Tom, if anyone here is arguing they can see as well through ANY tint at night, they are indeed lying.
HOWEVER. I can legally tint the rear hatch and rear windows as dark as I like - I can PAINT them black if I like as long as I have two side mirrors.

So, arguing over the parts that are legally tinted is moot here.

I broke the tint law.
I accepted it.
I paid the fine and took it off.
I do think the guy was looking for something more and was lame.

As I said, I go by hundreds of cars a day with 5% all-round, and no CHPs are bothered.

And one last point here. I have two very beautiful daughters who have cars with 15% ALL AROUND. They have been pulled over five times between them.
Anyone wanna guess how many tickets they have received?

Step on up!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SciontCya, at NO point have I argued against legal tint, only against tint that is unlawful to have on a vehicle on the public streets in a state.

I used to drive vehicles that had NO windows behind the "B" pillar, but I had excellent mirrors and used them. What I'm speaking of is visibility through windows forward of the "B" pillar, when tinted. In roughly 950,000 miles of driving I've not once had the need for tint forward of the "B" pillar. :D

Tom
Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It just seems to me that many of these types of tickets are arbitrarily decided for the sole purpose of generating revenue from the taxpayers in such a way that it shifts accountability away from the lawmakers. they really aren't made with public safety - or officer safety - in mind. and yes, it is possible to pick and choose the laws... it's called VOTING for candidates who see things YOUR way.

just to make things clear, I have no tint that is not factory currently installed on either of the vehicles I drive (a tc and a 99 GMC Jimmy SUV), though I am hoping to get some on the tc soon (legal of course). My concerns lie more in other areas such as driver liscensing - I would be happy to pay $2000 for my liscense if it meant the US Highway system was autobahn spec, and that there would be far fewer incompetent drivers (ie mandatory pilot-level driver training) on the road... down here in florida, the roads are underspecified from the moment they are designed lol (but that's because the politicians spec the highways based on average or off-peak usage, and not to maintain efficient speeds during rush-hour peak).

Quick Reply: Multiple Tint Violation tickets..