Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

My first tattoos ever (done by me)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My first tattoos ever (done by me)!!!

Here's the cliffnotes before I get to the pics:

I got an apprenticeship at a tattoo shop. Things were great at first, then it got to a point where I was getting yelled at for doing the things I was SUPPOSED to do (example: I was told to pick up X product at the store, I got X product, I'd get yelled at because she actually didn't want X product, she actually wanted something else, and I'd get yelled at for not being psychic and knowing she actually wanted Y product instead of X), and that she was an ex crack head who replaced her crack addiction with a pill popping problem. I couldn't take that kind of working environment, so I left with the almost 2 grand worth of equipment I bought... which brings us up to present time.

I'd been sitting here looking at my equipment for some time, not fully sure that I wanted to start tattooing without having someone available to ask questions if I had them, and hadn't even gotten to hold an operating machine in my hand before. The neighbor stopped over and seen 2 little coffins sitting on my desk and asked what they were. (My tattoo machines come in little coffins with toe tags). I showed him my machines and he goes "OMG You tattoo?" I said "not really yet"... adn he said "Well I'm not leaving here without ink!"

I told him several times that I'd never even held the machine in my hand before with it running, and I'm not sure if he's just nuts or what, but he said he wasn't leaving without ink, if he had to camp out in my house all week. So I get everything sterilized, wiped down and set up... and here is the fruits of my labor thus far...

(I have a better pic of this one on my myspace www.myspace.com/fallenangel311 ) This is the very first one I've ever done, having never held an operating machine in my hand before... yes I know my neighbor is nuts, but I have to thank him for being so persistant on getting a tattoo, because without him pushing me I'm not sure I'd be where I am now. I think things are coming along very nicely considering I've only been tattooing for about 3 weeks, and only doing them on weekends.

Here's the third one I did

4th

I think this was the 7th (It's sideways, this person's friend did graffiti writing for him that he wanted tattooed, it says "Luxx"... I wish I would have gotten a shot of the origional artwork, looks just like it)

And the 13th one I did on myself (I got bored one night)

I have additional pics on my myspace page. And yes I do sterilize all of my equipment, I do NOT reuse needles... a new needle individually packaged and pre-sterilized for each person, I have hospital grade sterilizers, change my gloves VERY frequently, and my number one priority is keeping everything clean and sterile, and taking all preventative measures to keep the risk of any cross contamination of bloodborne pathogens to an absolute minimum. There's already enough "dirty" shops around, and I absolutely love tattooing, and there's no way I'm going to do anything to end up as one of "those" shops.

I'll never forget the feeling I had when I first picked up that machine... it felt natural, almost like I was reunited with a long lost appendage or something. So there they are, tell me what you think so far!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

wow

congratulations girl!!! they all came out great I love the details
Old 10-16-2007, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats really impressive for someone just starting out, your a born tattoo artist! The more experience you get the better! It is always a blessing to have have people like your neighbor that is willing to let a artist just starting out tattoo them, that breaks the ice and builds your confidence! Keep up the good work, this is your calling!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Way to go!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the replies! I just wish there were more hours in the day lol. Going to college full time, trying to build a client base / business with tattooing, plus I have to start getting papers together because I have a court date on the 30th against the place I had the apprenticeship at... they owe me almost $6,000.00. But, if I had more hours in the day, I could do even more tattoos! (It's all I've been able to think about since I started lol).
Old 10-17-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bah, my gf keeps getting little tattoo's as an excuse for not being eligible to donate blood. strange how she hates getting stuck with a needle to donate blood, but when it comes to getting stuck with a needle over and over again to have a tattoo, she is fine with it.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
bah, my gf keeps getting little tattoo's as an excuse for not being eligible to donate blood. strange how she hates getting stuck with a needle to donate blood, but when it comes to getting stuck with a needle over and over again to have a tattoo, she is fine with it.

yeah......uhm...

that m,akes no sense
Old 10-17-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really like that last one, the design of the tail is great.

I've been considering a tattoo for a while now, it'd be my first. I want something discrete, so I may get a pokeball on my ankle/foot (hidden when wearing shoes). Something like a childish homage to my youth.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy
Originally Posted by draxcaliber

yeah......uhm...

that m,akes no sense
maybe because she only has to get one tattoo a year versus donating blood every 6 week?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those are some awesome tattoos. i would let you tattoo me any day.

the one you did on yourself is the best one. i like it alot.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I'd let you ink me. Great work.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Nice work!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, that's some pretty good work.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

What does the Kanji say?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
What does the Kanji say?
it says "white people don't know what this means!"

if i got a tattoo, i'd always be paranoid about if the symbol is really what it says it is.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

That's exactly why I picked my Kanji from a translation book as opposed to picking it off of the wall of a tat shop.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I must say going down the line you keep getting better and better (I'm not saying you were bad at one point, but to me it's just getting better)
Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
What does the Kanji say?
Apparently it means "Tranquility"... so says the tattoo site I got it from. In the kanji section, I noticed SOME (very few) of the words would look a little different then another that is supposed to mean the same thing. All of the signs for "Tranquility" looked exactly the same pretty much, other than varying from Block to Script Kanji, so I figured it was a safe enough bet LOL.

One of the investments I will be making as my client base grows is an actual translation book, but many of the good ones I've been looking at are a little pricey. But, I'm taking this business very seriously, so I'd rather wait and invest a little extra money and doing things the right way (or better way) than "cheap out" if you follow.

When I ordered my machines, I ordered them from Time Machine, one of the very best and most highly regarded in the tattoo community. I ordered the Flatlines, which run $245 a piece for the liner and shader.

I think especially when you're dealing with something that is going to be with a customer for life, you shoudl take it very seriously and go the extra mile. there's way too many places already out there that don't take things seriously, cheap out on things and only care about the money. I'd rather not do that, and i'd at least hope that as I build my client base the extra effort is noted

I like to think of it this way:

Very clean, sterile environment, emphasis on quality and going that extra mile to make the customers satisfied = Happy Customers

Happy Customers tell their friends, who become Happy Customers...

Happy Customers = Happy Tattoo Artist

I'm also taking appointments if anyone's interested

Thanks again everyone! Tattooing is all I've thought about since I started (even before that to some degree lol), and the more I do the happier I am and I think the more I'm improving! I can't wait to start doing other styles and expanding my skills
Old 10-19-2007, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your work is pretty damn good for a beginner and not bad at all compaired to a lot of the people I've seen that have been around for a long time.

you're a natural.

One question. Do you look like Kat von D? Because she's absolutely gorgeous and I like your phoenix inspired tattoo you gave yourself. I really like phoenix tattoos, especially on girls.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRealBen
Your work is pretty damn good for a beginner and not bad at all compaired to a lot of the people I've seen that have been around for a long time.

you're a natural.

One question. Do you look like Kat von D? Because she's absolutely gorgeous and I like your phoenix inspired tattoo you gave yourself. I really like phoenix tattoos, especially on girls.
lol thank you! I don't look like Kat Von D though lol. I have pics up on my myspace (I think first post)... I'm a natural blonde haired blue eyed chicka

Quick Reply: My first tattoos ever (done by me)!!!