Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

need energy equation. cost to run a product w/ X wattage/hr

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default need energy equation. cost to run a product w/ X wattage/hr

so i want to be able to calculate approx what appliances cost to run. so i want an equation that will tell me.. like if i have a phone charger, it draws 500ma, and i run it for an hour, i want to know how much it ran me to charge it.. and obviously for larger items.. and if measured in watts, i'll convert it. but want to know how to do it w/ an equation. as i know what our local provider charges per kw/hr..

thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: need energy equation. cost to run a product w/ X wattag

Originally Posted by magyver
so i want to be able to calculate approx what appliances cost to run. so i want an equation that will tell me.. like if i have a phone charger, it draws 500ma, and i run it for an hour, i want to know how much it ran me to charge it.. and obviously for larger items.. and if measured in watts, i'll convert it. but want to know how to do it w/ an equation. as i know what our local provider charges per kw/hr..

thanks
Look on your bill and find out the kw cost/hr. Then divide by 1000 to give you cost of each watt per hour. That is a good base line.

Then figure how long you run the charger or item you are trying t0 figure the cost on.

All appliances have there total watt usage listed on the bottom (usually). For example, my fan is rated at 12W, so 1hr of run time takes up 12W.

Hope that is clear.