Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Need help w/ a Speeding Ticket!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need help w/ a Speeding Ticket!!

Heres a Great start to 07!..got caught in a Speed trap of some sort...
Heres a Quick Illustration of right before the cop told me to pull over...

The Blk dot was the COP standing in the road and telling every car in front of me
to go ahead and then he saw Me and pointed at me to pull over by his Cop car..Then asked if I knew how fast I was going he said I was going 63 in a 45 zone...

My question is If I was in the inner lane while the outter lane was full of cars how could the radar gun get me outta everyone else on the road???

Should I fight this ticket??...I think its B.S. I dont understand how he was able to use catch me while everyone else was going the same speed as me!!

Any advice on what I can do?????.....Thanks!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

What kind of road was it and those cars the cop was standing in front of... were they parked?

Guess my only question is if you know for sure he was the one clocking your speed and not a cop on an overpass/ramp or in the air.

Sorry to hear about the ticket. I guess it can't hurt to try and contest the ticket... what could happen, they upping the fine?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.ticketassassin.com
Dude which freeway was this? there's alot of pigs of the 15 and 163.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If he was standing in the road and his car was off to the side, according to this illustration....radar can not get you in particular unless a partner was standing on top of the car aiming at you,...or, as was said, a cop on an overpass, air patrol, or even a cop further up the road running LIDAR or radar on your side.

It's hard to say what clocked you if anything. If all factors were out and he was in the road and his car was empty just sitting there, he has no way to tag you. My brother in law is a cop in MD so I know a bit about it.

LIDAR needs a clean line of sight. Was there any precipitation in the air? Rain, fog, construction zone? All major factors in rendoring LIDAR useless.

Radar is not a 100% direct aim at your car, but if another cop was further ahead aiming at you and radioing the cop in the road to let him know your speed, that is possible. Radar from a distance has a large field of detection so unless you were the only car on the road or in an open section of traffic, they just took their best guess and pinned you with the speed. My bro-in-law said that usually, if there's 2 or more cars on the road, radar/LIDAR are used as reference and they visually pick the car that seems to be moving faster in the group.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u should of just kept driving. it would have taken him a while to get into his car. and if u dont think he was able to clock u fight it because they cant prove that u were speeding without Lidar.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:15 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, but all he has to do is read your plate, radio it in and get you pulled over for disobeying a police officer (it's an actual offense on tickets). Then, good luck pleaing your way out of that one.

And if you think they couldn't read your plate, just remember that cops drive around most often then not. Their eyes are trained to focus on things like license plates, registration date stickers..................it's actually amazing to see it. My bro-in-law reads registration tags from about 2 cars away with 0 problem. It's kind of weird.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THanks for the Advice!!

This took place on a Residential road 2 lanes NO
over passes or Bridges!...

The cop stopped both lanes of traffic so I had no choice...

This whole thing seems kinda like a set-up..I really, really dont think I was going that speed I didnt see anyother cop earlier that could be monitering etc...
Old 01-06-2007, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
This whole thing seems kinda like a set-up..
Tee hee... that's totally what a speed trap is... a set up!

Again, the very best to you on fighting your way out of the ticket if that's what you do. Web seems to have some good information on the topic... I like the fog or percipation tip a lot!
Old 01-06-2007, 03:35 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks ..............Yeah, any precipitation, dust, smog, or even a high amount of light can through off LIDAR. Highly reflective objects can scatter the LIDAR beam so that it doesn't return an accurrate distance/speed reading. That's why, the cleaner and shinier your car is, the harder it is to get a good reading. Also, the dirtier it is, the less light is reflected back at the LIDAR gun.

99% of the time, your license plate is the target so one good way to avoid getting tagged is to aim your license plate down or up. LIDAR relies on a straight line of sight and this way, the beam is deflected. the other point is your headlight housing. I have rockblocker blue headlight covers and they scatter LIDAR. b/c they are a vinyl material, they are not perfectly clear so light hits it and scatters . Just another trick.

Another good way is to do what I did. Primer your plate . 2 coats of black primer, 2 coats of flat white rustoleum paint. It actually absorbs the light due to the flat color so no light is reflected back. Also, on the rear plate, I sprayed 2-3 coats of clear coat. it's really shiny

I got hit 3 times with LIDAR (radar detector went ape) in the span of maybe 150 yards. 85 in a 45 and it scared the ____ out of me. By the 3rd reading, I was down to 50 and passing the state troopers sitting on the side of the road just watching me. I was the only car on the road for about 10-15 yards in front and behind me. Definately had a clear line of sight on me. Suckers!!!

Hope all this info. helps you and others
Old 01-06-2007, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I do not know if the older radar guns could pinpoint you out of a cluster of cars like that in your drawing....from what I understand radar guns fan the radar signal out which in your case can't capture your speed when there are multiple vehicles by you...However my buddies dad is a local sheriff and he informed me that the newer radar guns out now are guided by laser so that cars like in your situation can be pinpointed and then cited for a traffic violation. So I guess it all depends on what kind of radar guns these officers were using, if they were using any at all. I don't know if this has helped you or not but my point was just to inform you about the new radar technology that highway patrols have started using.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should go the speed limit in traffic. its your own fault.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
you should go the speed limit in traffic. its your own fault.
Whatever..you know u speed too!

So...dont preach about my fault & going the posted limit!

I still wasnt going the claimed speed..
Old 01-06-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't speed. in fact 3 of my friends were killed speeding in a street race so no i don't break the law thanks.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno...Maybe I will just pay the DUMB fine and do Traffic crappy school....then be done w/ it!!..

who knows...hahaha...Its still all B.S.!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I say go to court and explain that there was no way you and all those other cars could be going that fast. Just your pic alone shows to much traffic to go that fast in a residential area. How could you have gone that fast and not any of the others??? Makes no sense. Period!