Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Need Some Advice.... Mac Vs. Pc

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I take advantage of a lot of my computer's capabilities which involve some things that require more control of the computer.
And that completely encompasses why a pc is better for you. For folks that don't want to spend 10 hours aweek dealing with security patches and all of the bugs/"featrues" of a pc, mac is better.

And you might be able to find a better price on that mac if you tried.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by USArmyWife1982
nope just bout the same... actually mines faster then hubbys and he has an hp lol ohh and if u do anything with music macs come with a thing called garage band... its so you can make your own music on the computer
Not really. Mac has an older version of explorer, so it doesn't supports some of the script codes. Same thing if you use firefox or any other browser. PC is still a better operating system to surf net
Old 01-08-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have both. 2003 Sony VAIO laptop/desktop replacement and a 2006 Macbook 1.8mhz (i bought 2-1GB Kingston RAM). I'm going to replace the VAIO with a desktop PC running Vista. The new desktop will be used as the main photo/video edit computer. Sony no longer makes true desktops and I will switch to another PC maker.

My Macbook is for travel use only or when I dont feel like waiting for my old VAIO to start up. I run Jasc Paint Shop Pro and I think it's more user friendly than comparable Mac photo suites. I even tried GIMP on Mac and Paint Shop Pro just feels more user friendly. Fit and Finish wise, my old VAIO holds up better than my MB.

In defense of the PC:
Black hat hackers prefer to attack PCs because there are more in the market. The MacOS, although UNIX based, has its fair share of problems and issues. I run the software updates program weekly on my Mac just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

To be honest with you, I use to work with Mac and PC on a regular basis. At the time, I was using a Mac desktop that costs over 1000, and it can't even run Photoshop and after effect at the same time. While, my pc that I built with equivalent investment render After Effects, render in Maya, and allow me to work with Photoshop at the same time. I am still convinced that PC is more powerful.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i use photoshop on a daily basis on my macbook just fine...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

mac all the way and about price mac vs pc. you get what you pay for.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xbguy1
mac all the way and about price mac vs pc. you get what you pay for.
Or you get what the company that has a monopoly over a certain product wants to charge. (Apple is the only producer of Mac computers therefore if you want Mac, pay the price)
Old 01-09-2007, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yup, thats the problem with Mac. Nobody else make them, so the price is highly mark up compare to PC. Try to evaluate prices base on components performace, such as ram, cpu, hard drives, MB, etc, I guarantee you that you'll pay more for Mac.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Dude, configure a Vaio to a comparable Macbook. You'll pay more for a Vaio. The price gap is no longer what it used to be. And, in some cases, you'll pay more for a windoze box. Oh, and the Photoshop CS3 beta is out and it smokes on the mac.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

while i agree that the price of a mac is a bit higher than the price of a windows machine lemme ask you this ....

wouldnt you pay extra for:

-knowing that if anything would go wrong that you have a store that can fix it for you? (i took mine in, it was barely gone a week and i got it fixed)

-knowing that you wont have to wait to ship it out, pay the charges, then wait for them to get it, then them to ship it back to you, up to a month wait

- any questions just go to an apple store/ or call the hotline and they can help you

- up to 3 years warranty, then able to extend the warranty after i believe

- warranty that covers anything in the box

- computer with a web page maker, music manager, picture manager, movie maker, dvd authoring, and music making program come stock

- no viruses no spyware

- no blue screen of death to worry about

- very intuitive interface, that works accross alot of programs seamlessly

- a very stable os

- ability to run windows if needed to, but mainly runs OS X

iono for me id say thats a good enough reason to pay more
Old 01-09-2007, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i prefer pc. my niece has a mac and that is one wierd looking computer.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

only cause you are used to a PC Kei. once you learn mac, its hard to go back. .lol
Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

and to add to the fun...

http://www.youtube.com/v/TaIUkwPybtM

Old 01-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep it nice, guys. We' are just trying to give straightforward answers to some questions, not start the PC wars on ScionLife...

In fact, we've probably answered all the questions - let's just wait to see what happens, OK?

Tom
Old 01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ADRdesignCo
while i agree that the price of a mac is a bit higher than the price of a windows machine lemme ask you this ....

wouldnt you pay extra for:

-knowing that if anything would go wrong that you have a store that can fix it for you? (i took mine in, it was barely gone a week and i got it fixed)

-knowing that you wont have to wait to ship it out, pay the charges, then wait for them to get it, then them to ship it back to you, up to a month wait

- any questions just go to an apple store/ or call the hotline and they can help you

- up to 3 years warranty, then able to extend the warranty after i believe

- warranty that covers anything in the box

- computer with a web page maker, music manager, picture manager, movie maker, dvd authoring, and music making program come stock

- no viruses no spyware

- no blue screen of death to worry about

- very intuitive interface, that works across a lot of programs seamlessly

- a very stable os

- ability to run windows if needed to, but mainly runs OS X

iono for me id say thats a good enough reason to pay more
1. Not worth $500 extra.
2. Not worth $500 extra.
3. All companies have a customer support hotline and even if they didn't, that also not worth 1/4th of the computer's price. Besides, I can get any question I may have answered on a forum.
4. What do you mean by out the box? The computer and monitor? Yeah, mine are covered too...
5. All that stuff can be found for free on Google or for a small price an even better app. The only things of that list windows doesn't have is a webpage maker and a music maker, neither of which are necisary.
6. There are free anti-virus and anti-spyware programs out there that take care of that problem quite nicely if you know which ones to get. I haven't had a virus for quite some time now.
7. What is this "blue screen of death" you speak of? Could it be the thing that hasn't been around since like Windows 98? Hmm...
8. That's an opinion.
9. I find myself saying this a lot in this thread: Both systems can dual boot! You can mainly run OSX if you want too, but pay much less and have more available upgrades for the computer

Oh, and burstaneurysm, Why would you buy a Vaio when you could get a Toshiba for much less for pretty much the same computer. If Sony made Mac's they'd be overpriced too...

BTW, you guys should watch this video, it's pretty impressive:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155931
Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Enough.

Cool it.

Tom
Old 01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have to agree with tom, please dont start a computer war, because no one will ever win, I just wanted to know simply what the best system for me would be, I honestly think im gonna go with a mac, just becasue its something different for me, and Ill pry be using it for more media functions then anything else. Thanks to all!