Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Need to vent!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Need to vent!

As my sig says, I'm a Nissan tech and let me tell you guys something! I got an '08 Altima today with only 1,868 miles with an SES light on, so I check it out. I have to call Nissan support for help since the car is new and turns out that I need to repace the CVT trans! This sucks for the customer since they just bought this car a few months ago. They probably think they are buying a lemon.

Also for the past few days, I've had an '04 Quest with a "crank but no start" condition. I run a few tests on it and find out that the battery and the starter needs replacing...fine! After replacing these 2 items, vehicle still doesn't run. Turns out that the timing chain jumped and is off timing. Need to remove the timing chain cover, which pays 6 hours and I also have to check compression to see if any of the valves in the heads are bent. Again, I feel bad for the customer cause this isn't covered under warranty anymore! Hopefully when I remove the cover, I ONLY have to replace the chain and nothing else cause this job can get real expensive...

I'm really starting to get annoyed with this automotive business...
Old 02-21-2008, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

geez I hope my Murano holds up.....
Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I hear ya, Metro.
I was a die-hard GM fanatic for many years, but can't stand the company anymore! I've owned an LT1 T/A, 35th Anniv. Z28, '85 Camaro, '06 Cobalt SS, and still own a 420hp+ IROC-Z!
I've personally watched their cars go to $#it over the years and have been amazed at the crap I've had to deal with.
I sold my '85 Camaro in late '98 with over 190,000 miles on the clock. As far as I know, it is still running today.
My '89 IROC has seen plenty of track and street terror and has never missed a beat! Every factory option for the IROC still works today, including the power rear hatch!
My LT1 T/A wasn't quite as forgiving, but still managed to lead a reasonable life. Its power window motors both failed and had to be replaced prior to 35,000 miles, the smog pump went to $#it prior to 50,000 miles, and it suffered a broken tranny mount, which caused a tear in the ring seal of the rear end, which leaked all of its gear oil causing the rear end to get cooked. The entire rear end was replaced at just under 70,000 miles. The car was NOT driven hard and was actually driven by my wife (gf at the time) on a regular basis. The T/A was sold with the clock at around 80,000+ and the new owner totaled it within a month! That's what happens when you put a moron that's never driven anything with more than 90hp behind the wheel of a 310hp car. What a shame. The T/A was still beautiful up until the moment she was demolished.
My '02 Z28 was totaled with less than 10,000 miles on the clock. I was sitting still at a stoplight and was rearended by a fat lady in a Tahoe. She hit the back of my Z so hard that the rear canopy peeled open like a banana, and sent plastic flying everywhere. The front of the car was actually shoved under the Jag that was sitting in front of me at the light. Prior to that, the car had been back at the dealership 3 times due to suspension issues and a failed power steering pump. Ridiculous! The car was rarely even driven! I intended to keep it low miles due to it being a 35th Anniv. Edition and the final year of the Camaro (at the time).
My Cobalt failed miserably. The car ran like a scalded dog, but it just couldn't stay on the road more than a few weeks at a time. It spent half its life at the dealership for countless electrical problems and a constant AC Condenser leak that continuously filled up the passenger side floorboard on a regular basis. Needless to say, I ditched it prior to 30,000 miles, trading it in (upside down, of course) on my '08 xB. To this day, that has been the best decision I could have ever made. Being upside down on a note wasn't that fun, but being out from under such a poorly built POS car was well worth it!
It amazes me how ALL of the auto manufacturers are charging higher and higher prices for cars these days and spending less and less on quality! Pretty much every recent vehicle on the road is junk... ...with the exception of Scions, of course!