Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

New 2012 scion model announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:07 AM
SL Member

Default New 2012 scion model announced

my father is currently at the National Dealers Meeting in las vegas and called up to say that they are releasing the FT-86 as a 2012 scion model. He said that it looks somewhat like the concept and was amazing. I asked him what the price would be about but they didnt say anything about that or about anything else really. this is just a little heads up
Old 10-07-2010, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

need more proof. but i hear production is back on for nov 2011.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 AM
SL Member

ya i know i dont have proof or anything. i just thought i'd throw this out there since i was excited when my dad called to tell me the news. Wish i did have pictures.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my interested is once again peaked ..hopefully it'll come to fruition. I'll sell my tC and my body for it.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there even a spot for it? It's gonna stick out like the GTR does in Nissans lineup.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice to know no rush here tC gonna get built motor soon so if this is true ill keep an eye out for it
Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess now we play the waiting game
Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what in the world is the FT-86? ive been out of the loop for a long time.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DarkSide_xB
what in the world is the FT-86? ive been out of the loop for a long time.
http://www.ft86club.com/

Just google or YouTube "FT-86" for an abundance of info.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd prefer a 370 over a GTR any day.

Any who, this is most likely false. Not discrediting your father, just who ever delivered to him that lie. Kinda reminds me of the guy at the dealership who told me that the 2nd Gen tC is 4wd. I laughed and then told him no. But he gave me a good reason why he believed in that, motortrend had a typo in their mag.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 PM
SL Member

this information was delivered at the toyota national dealers meeting in las vegas. so i dont think that toyota gathers their employees in las vegas, tells them no photographs, then tells them that they have a flying pig. In this case they had a prototype their that they actually showed everyone but photos of it have yet to show up and will most likely not show up until toyota feels like revealing it officially. yes and salemen are retarded i work with some.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i doubt it it will be a scion for 1 reason only.

there is supossidly 3 different models of it, base (non turbo), midgrade (turbo with a few extra features) and a high end model (turbo loaded up). scion is all monospec and that would go around another virtue of theirs (along with the sub 20k price tag, which the new tC already pushes). i dont see it coming out as a scion, but as a Toyota which would be better anyways, toyota needs a sports car since they got rid of the supra almost 15 years ago or somethin like that.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

FT-86 as a Scion?? hell no..
for reasons pretty much stated above.

that as a Lexus is much more likely.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind Scion isn't exactly sticking to what it originally said it would be/do. They were 2 years behind schedule with the new tC.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I was told in Aug. by the local regional that the FT would be a reality and in show rooms within 17 months, and from what the OP says this fits. I agree with you Dave tho if there are offering multi levels of the same models it will go to Toyota/Lexus
Old 10-15-2010, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

it wont be lexus, its gonna be a toyota, lexus already has the IS line up and the SC as their 2 door "sports car" if you wanna call it that lol. but especially now with the LFA they wont be getting the FT-86, toyota will be getting it.

it will fit a toyota better then lexus or scion. Scion is MONOSPEC meaning the only 2 factory choices are color and transmission, everything else is the same. Scion set out to let the customer pick the options they want and leave the ones they dont want off the car. toyota will gladly accept the FT-86 because they dont have anything like that, and they dont have anything to compete with the Hyundai Genesis, Nissan 370z, Ford Mustang (v6), or any other sports coupe out there, they just barely came out with something that could hang with a Civic SI (the 11 tC) lol.

toyota is hurting in that market which is why i'll be 2 months bonus checks on that it will not be a scion lol

as a Toyota/Scion Sales person i get asked everyday. whats the sportiest car Toyota makes and i have to reply (confidently btw lol) that if you want a sporty coupe the tC is the way to go, if its a sedan the corrola S, and if you want a v6 camry se lol
Old 10-15-2010, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

SC is discontinued!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SC is no more after the 2010 model run. The IS convertible is taking over. And when they redesign the IS there will be a coupe variant.

To me this is a huge mistake. A $25k Scion with a 2.5 that's most likely going to be 200hp is just flat out not worth it. So many other vehicles that'll offer way more performance for the same price. It'll probably handle like a pig so you can buy all of those overpriced TRD performance goodies. And I've also heard they want to mess with the styling and make it more squared off

Toyota is shooting themselves in the foot with the huge marketing campaign they could of had with this thing. They've been showing the concept with the AE-86, they could have brought it back as the Celica here. Get the youth interested in Toyota again while getting some excitement with the older crowd as well as Celica enthusiasts.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Okay now I gotta talk here.

I cannot see Scion surviving anymore. Not as the brand they set out to be and promised their original owners.

Toyota giving the FT-86 to the Scion brand is basically them trying to save the brand. I would not say it is a last ditch effort, but it is getting close. But it will all be for nothing if they do not come in on the price point they originally set out to hit. It looks like this thing is hitting closer to 30k than 20k, like they wanted. This could revitalize the brand, could.

I don't see much of a future for the quirky and fun Scion brand of just a couple years ago. This brand will be absorbed into Toyota soon because they are going to be bitten by the beige bug of mediocrity.

This car is becoming like GT5. Pushed back, and back, and back. Maybe we will never actually see it. I am skeptical until this this is a tangible production model.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

it wont be toyotaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol

20k will start out as a N/A base, then it'll be around 25-30 for the next level up which will include turbo, then 30-33 for the fully loaded one, just like all other toyotas lol

Quick Reply: New 2012 scion model announced