Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

new computer shopping. Your input wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ plus soon you will be able to install OS X on pc then everything will be on the same boat.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ALIEN WARE
Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eboardracer
ALIEN WARE
if you're gonna spend a rediculous amount of money for a name brand "gaming/entertaintment" computer... BUILD YOUR OWN! i hate nothing more than to give my hard earned money to some big shot company when you can just do it by yourself, have a faster system AND save cash.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by jbae1221
That could be true but to each their own. If you know what you are doing then running windows on pc is not a problem. I have a machine that built and it's 4-5 years old and still running strong. boots in 29 - 33 seconds. Keep it clean and you will have no problems. Also I don't have any spyware or virus software. Just keep it clean same goes for anything.
I'm not saying that you're wrong I was just saying that being obsolete is a false statement because the hardware is the same. Build your own and make it into a htpc, then you won't even need a tivo and it will only cost you 500 dollars.
I've been building my own PC's for about 10 years, so I agree 100% that they have potential to boot fast. However, you need to maintain it and work at it to keep it going. Reformat, run chkdisk, defrag...So I'm not saying it's impossible for a Windows machine to boot fast, but you have to understand what kind of machine we're talking about here. His option is a DELL, not a custom built PC. That Dell is pre-loaded with so much garbage, it's bound to start slowing down within a month of use.

Originally Posted by eboardracer
ALIEN WARE
If you're serious, I suggest you leave, because you just spent $2,000-2,500 on a PC full of hardware that is only worth $700.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good points all around...

I always kept my Windows machine clean and it never let me down. It was actually the motherboard that cooked after all these years. I also forgot to mention that the Macbook I'm using has Vista Basic installed using Bootcamp. The Vista OS runs faster than other windows computers I've used. Maybe because it's running very clean and lean - no Norton AV etc. Just Office and AVG antivirus.

For some reason if I was to get in all-in-one it would have to be an iMac. The HP and Sony cost as much or more. I think the Sonys look awesome but I hate all the crapware/trialware they preinstall on those machines. One big plus for Macs is that they come clean from the factory.

I just finally got my Stimulus check yesterday, so that'll help.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not a mac person, but for your particular needs I'd say definitely get a mac. It's only a few more years before they figure out how to use all the cores effectively, and virtualization will be nearly completely native.

Tangentially, for those running XP, I suggest using nlite on your install before reformatting. http://nliteos.com/

Basically, you can strip out the nonsense of your xp install, making it quite abit more stable. I removed just the extra languages and keyboards, and my old sony vaio 1.6ghz centrino takes only 22 seconds to cold boot to the desktop. There is a vlite for Vista: http://www.vlite.net/