Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

obama speach

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and here is a good question for you

at the cost of the war what else could have been accomplished
health care
research on green fuels
stem cell research

the list goes on

oil oil oil oil oil oil oil oil oil oil oil

thats what this war is about
Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not in Jesusland.....
Old 08-29-2008, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thing is... both sides run on the "fearmongering"

Republicans will have you think we'd be in immediate danger of a terrorist attack. The proof is undeniably everywhere.

Democrats, on the other hand, will have you think that Republicans will instantly cut social security, "take away your welfare check," and eliminate governmental domestic aid... Just have a look at what one of our local politicians is running on the airwaves ----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5JTtH-vU24

Both sides are fear-mongers. It gets press, it gets attention, and it motivates the ho-hum voter. As long as you recognize it on both sides (and not JUST on the other), then you're that much smarter when it comes to the polling booth.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Obsoletepunk04
Im not in Jesusland.....
your lucky i almost had to un conseal my gun the other day this crazy lady with a 8 ft sign with a dead baby on it wouldnt get out of my way in my work truck cause i said go stem cell research she started speaking at me in tounges as 5 more fruit cakes joined here then the cops fixed the problems lol
Old 08-29-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
Originally Posted by Obsoletepunk04
Im not in Jesusland.....
your lucky i almost had to un conseal my gun the other day this crazy lady with a 8 ft sign with a dead baby on it wouldnt get out of my way in my work truck cause i said go stem cell research she started speaking at me in tounges as 5 more fruit cakes joined here then the cops fixed the problems lol
I can't stand people who are against stem cell research.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
Republicans will have you think we'd be in immediate danger of a terrorist attack. The proof is undeniably everywhere.
Well, everyone after 9/11 was "a potential terrorist", and then we went and gave lots and lots of people reasons to be terrorists, but there isn't a moos-lam hiding under every bed waiting to rape your daughter like Michael Savage and the lot want you to believe.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
and here is a good question for you

at the cost of the war what else could have been accomplished
health care
research on green fuels
stem cell research

the list goes on

oil oil oil oil oil oil oil oil oil oil oil

thats what this war is about
Sorry, the war is not about oil. Let's think about this for a second.

1) Has oil gotten any cheaper because of our so-called "oil war" ?
2) Which countries have gotten far richer because of oil profits in the last few years? Certainly not the U.S.
3) Why would we directly threaten the integrity of a region that provides such a large percentage of our oil, without a damn good reason?

It just honestly doesn't make sense. The common rebuttal... "well the corporations are making money"... Sure they are! We're buying more gas than ever before! Their margins of profit never went up... yet sales skyrocketed... and it's just a fact of multiplication after that.

Now, I can tell you one entity which did increase it's profit margins on gasoline/oil sales... that's the US government. Apparently up to 50 cents/gallon (paid by you, depending on your state), plus corporate income taxes (Exxon paid $30 billion in 2007), plus tarriffs to import the gasoline, plus environmental regulatory fees, etc. etc.. isn't enough!

Sure... we can "woulda shoulda couldas" our way out of everything.... but there is a stark difference between what's really going on, and what certain groups (major political parties, press, etc.) want you to believe.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Actually, if the USD was still worth something, gas would be around 2.50 a gallon right now.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
Well, everyone after 9/11 was "a potential terrorist", and then we went and gave lots and lots of people reasons to be terrorists, but there isn't a moos-lam hiding under every bed waiting to rape your daughter like Michael Savage and the lot want you to believe.
Bingo.

They'd have you believe imminent danger around every corner. EVERYBODY PANIC !

It's sort of like the "rooting out communism at home" bit they did in the 60s/70s.

------------

Edit to respond to Carbon :

Yup, that's absolutely correct too. Yet, another set of issues entirely. How can the US dollar be worth anything when we simply give it away so easily?

Each time we destroy, occupy, or "go to for peaceful reasons"... to a country... we end up spending billions in international aid.... most of which, ends up in the pockets of UN secretary generals and their sons... (Remember Oil for Food)?

The thing is, the US IS doing quite well, compared to the rest of the world... and yet, it's somehow OUR burden to be sure the rest of the world gets along. Sorry, I have to take the isolationist approach on a number of these situations.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate having my political beliefs associated with people who believe this war is for "oil" and use the Clinton "surplus" as an arguement against Bush's handling of the current economic situation.

Just throwing that out there.

As for this post containing anything constructive, I believe Obama to be the "lesser of two evils". I know he's not going to be the golden boy of the new age. I know some of his policies suck. Hell, I've been following his campaign since it wasn't even a campaign because he fascinates me as a public speaker. But the thing is, I disagree more with McCain than I do with Obama. Much more, in fact. The "lesser of two evils" rationality for Bush v. Kerry was only because you had no idea what Kerry was going to do because he was embarassingly awful at public policy. I know what Obama is going to do, and I know what McCain is going to do, and I disagree with McCain more. It's unfortunately the stance you have to take when choosing a public figure to elect these days; "who do I disagree with more."

Paradoxically, though, I would rather McCain had won the 2000 nomination instead of Bush, because I agreed with him more than I did Gore or Bush back then.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
I hate having my political beliefs associated with people who believe this war is for "oil" and use the Clinton "surplus" as an arguement against Bush's handling of the current economic situation.

Just throwing that out there.
I apologize if I attacked you directly. It can be difficult to have rational conversations and debates over a forum.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^ My comic wasn't a reference to Clinton's economical stand, it was a reference to how McCain will follow the same horrific spending patterns as Bush.

Err, senseiturtle posted before I got it in .
Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Brb, gonna go find a Witch Doctor to bring JFK back from the dead.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It doesn't really come off that way, though. :\ I mean, every panel is a gloomy blue with small arrows and Times New Roman, whereas Clinton's is a cheerful yellow with a big arrow pointing up and a striking font.

I do see what you're saying, though. I don't agree with the "fiscal conservative" economic policy... or, really, the "neo-conservative" movement in general.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

LOL

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa101500b.htm

I love the last time.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Too bad someone didn't drop a bomb on Denver tonight.
McCain in 08' or the country will be in BIG trouble.
ur kidding right? mccain is basically another bush. u say the country will be in big trouble but mccain wants to stay in war obama wants to pull out and worry about more important sh*t ur nuts the country is in trouble as it is
Old 08-29-2008, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I don't follow religion at all, so I have no clue, but how do you think the bible belt is going to react if McCain announces Romney as his VP?
Old 08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I don't follow religion at all, so I have no clue, but how do you think the bible belt is going to react if McCain announces Romney as his VP?
I'm in the bible belt.

For myself, it won't make a lick of difference. McCain was pretty close to my last choice anyway, so it could only help.

The thing is... the same people that would be bothered by a Mormon VP, are the same people who'd never vote for Obama due to skin color. Religious snobbery and racism tend to go hand-n-hand for those types.

When it comes to election time, no difference. I will say this though, McCain needs a hardcore conservative firecracker to motivate the base... that's his only chance at winning. Obama will be a difficult force to reckon with, though he's certainly defeatable. He needs to reconcile the Hillary votes ASAP, since at least some of them are voting McCain.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The thing is... the same people that would be bothered by a Mormon VP, are the same people who'd never vote for Obama due to skin color. Religious snobbery and racism tend to go hand-n-hand for those types.
Well yeah I definitely didn't take that out of the picture, but do you think we'll be seeing record low %'s for voters? I know the Dems are hurting becuase a lot of Hillary supports refuse to vote for Obama and refuse to vote McCain.

They played a clip from the other night on Opie and Anthony (radio talk show) and one woman was actually crying because she said she's being forced to have no other option than to not vote. It was pretty pathetic. I say vote for the policies, not the person.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Okay nevermind on Romney. He picked some woman from Alaska, Palin? Never heard of her.

Quick Reply: obama speach