Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

obama speach

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Her honesty in every aspect of her responses to the loaded questions about her experience, including her work ethnics, (commercial fisherman,mayor Governor, housewife and mother)
as for her plans for Iraq/Iran those items are not for her to make policy on.. that is for the president . and as for the religion teachings again she must work with in the existing frameworks,(no I do adhere to the creationist theory)and I haven't seen any positive results from the so called abstinence policys.
as for the ___/lesbian question, I am not "threatened" by having the said ___/lesbian couples being legally joined either by civil union or by marriage.
Now as for the experience question.. the only thing that your hero has done is be a junior senator for 3 years..following the lead and directions of the senior senators... he has never made a significant decision that affects the American citizens. he has not had any experience in operating a business for profit or for that matter any experience in the day to day operations of public service whether it is a mayorship, Govenorship, or being fully responsible for the balanced budgets , let alone have'n to solely make decisions that directly affect the constituents, and taking full responsibility for those desisions.

Remember she is running for the vice -presidency... not the presidency ... she is not the one charged with setting policy of the country..
All that being said, I am a registered Democrat, however I vote for whomever is 100% for the good of the nation.

And I damn sure WILL NOT vote for a candidate who refuses to Pledge his/her absolute Allegiance to the Flag and to the Nation of The United States of America.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by saddlesore
And I damn sure WILL NOT vote for a candidate who refuses to Pledge his/her absolute Allegiance to the Flag and to the Nation of The United States of America.
Oh come on now, you buy into that propaganda garbage. Next you'll tell me Obama is a Muslim (but somehow has a Christian Reverend) and not a US citizen.

Here's the snopes article.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

If you scroll down you can see the videos of him LEADING the pledge before senate sessions.

Palin didn't wear a flag pin during her acceptance speech BTW.

She is running for the VP, but with the oldest presidential candidate ever to run, who has been treated for cancer 4 times now, you should be able to understand why she may be scrutinized a bit more than the average Veep. She is next in line after all.

I'm listening to the McCain speech now, I still have yet to hear about the economy, housing crisis, energy crisis, health care crisis, social security crisis, or any other issue affecting me. It's all about the "war on terror", and oh, the resurgance in Communism that didn't occur until Bush took office.

Want a good way to cut government spending, stop paying $11 Billion a month for a war in Iraq while the Iraqi's hand their first oil contract to China and have an $87 Billion surplus. Stop sending the 6.75 Billion to Israel every year when they have better planes than we do. Stop wasting $24 Million to investigate steroid abuse in baseball

I laughed my butt off when they took aim at the "Washington insiders". Did McCain forget that for 8 of the last 8 years the president was republican, for 6 of the last 8 the house was Republican controlled, and for 5 of the last 8 the supreme court was conservative?

It's the 2000 message all over again, vote for me or you're a ___ terrorist. Hopefully America is finally sick of it.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

He's 68, odds are he's a war vet. So most likely, he will vote for McCain solely on the fact that McCain was a POW and that Obama is half black.
My grandfather is the same way. The next time I visit my grandparents, I'm wearing an Obama shirt, just because he thinks Obama is part of Al-Queda.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Race has nothing to do with my political views.

However... I am fed up with those whom wear their race as a volkswagon sized chip on their shoulder and will use any excuse to flip the racist accusation card at you simply because you happen to not be their color.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Stop wasting $24 Million to investigate steroid abuse in baseball
YES.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Her honesty in every aspect of her responses to the loaded questions about her experience, including her work ethnics, (commercial fisherman,mayor Governor, housewife and mother)
Those aren't loaded questions. They're just questions where the answers are easy to find out. She could have either blatantly lied, or not lied at all... and she chose the latter. Pardon my not throwing a party for her.

as for her plans for Iraq/Iran those items are not for her to make policy on.. that is for the president .
But she didn't say that. She said that's for God. Had she said that policy is for the President to decide, assuming the reporter didn't immediately go "okay, but what would you do if you were President?", I would have agreed. But she didn't. She said something much more frightening.

and as for the religion teachings again she must work with in the existing frameworks,(no I do adhere to the creationist theory)and I haven't seen any positive results from the so called abstinence policys.
What existing framework? The framework where teaching creationist theory in public schools is not only blatantly non-secular, but ridiculous? Yes, I agree, she should work within that existing framework. And as for the last comment, yes, there haven't been any positive results from abstinence-only policies. I'm not sure if you meant to disagree with me there or not.

as for the ___/lesbian question, I am not "threatened" by having the said ___/lesbian couples being legally joined either by civil union or by marriage.
And neither should she, if she "has ___ friends" and "doesn't judge them". By agreeing with the legislation, she is saying that she agrees that ___ and lesbian couples aren't good enough to get married. Sounds like judgment to me.

the only thing that your hero has done is be a junior senator for 3 years..following the lead and directions of the senior senators... he has never made a significant decision that affects the American citizens.
He expanded the policies of WMD reduction. He established www.USAspending.gov and has been one of the loudest Senators in terms of making government spending more transparent. He sponsored legislation requiring nuclear plant owners to tell people about radioactive leaks (can you believe they weren't required to before this legislation?). He's been on the Senate Committees for Foreign Relations, Environment and Public Works, Veterans' Affairs, Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, and Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.

But nevermind all that. You're right, he's never made a significant decision that affects us.

he has not had any experience in operating a business for profit or for that matter any experience in the day to day operations of public service whether it is a mayorship, Govenorship, or being fully responsible for the balanced budgets , let alone have'n to solely make decisions that directly affect the constituents, and taking full responsibility for those desisions.
He was in the Illinois State Senate from 1996 to 2004. From 1992 to 2002, he was on the board of directors for four major Chicago-based non-profits, and he taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School. But he's never had to take full responsibility for anything or had to answer to anyone, no. And since when are balanced budgets the sole responsibility of the President? I was unaware you needed a background in accounting to take office.

Remember she is running for the vice -presidency... not the presidency ... she is not the one charged with setting policy of the country..
Then why are you bringing up all of these shortcomings that Obama supposedly has that Palin doesn't? Why the comparison between the two, if they're in different leagues?

Meh, vettereddie got it.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

as for her plans for Iraq/Iran those items are not for her to make policy on.. that is for the president . and as for the religion teachings again she must work with in the existing frameworks,(no I do adhere to the creationist theory)and I haven't seen any positive results from the so called abstinence policys.
Now as for the experience question.. the only thing that your hero has done is be a junior senator for 3 years..following the lead and directions of the senior senators... he has never made a significant decision that affects the American citizens. he has not had any experience in operating a business for profit or for that matter any experience in the day to day operations of public service whether it is a mayorship, Govenorship, or being fully responsible for the balanced budgets , let alone have'n to solely make decisions that directly affect the constituents, and taking full responsibility for those desisions.

All that being said, I am a registered Democrat, however I vote for whomever is 100% for the good of the nation.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Gov Palin has attempted to ban books at the library, ban sex-education in schools and close museums, libraries, and youth centers.
She does not deserve to have any kind of political status.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Gov Palin has attempted to ban books at the library, ban sex-education in schools and close museums, libraries, and youth centers.
She does not deserve to have any kind of political status.
EDIT: Ooh, those are interesting reads. As if I needed more reason to completely dislike her, though.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Time magazine, in its reporting on John McCain's vice presidential choice, Sarah Palin, has uncovered some information that is making librarians uncomfortable.

[Former Mayor John] Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. "She asked the library how she could go about banning books," he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. "The librarian was aghast." That woman, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor.

Librarian Jessamyn West, who blogs at librarian.net, writes, "Usually I’m just happy to see libraries even mentioned in national level politics, but not like this."

This seems like a good time to mention Banned Books Week, beginning Sept. 27, which celebrates the freedom to read. 2007's most challenged book was "And Tango Makes Three," a children's book about a penguin with two dads; books by Mark Twain and Alice Walker appear, again, on the list. Exactly what books Palin might have wanted to ban have not been identified (other than some unsupported rumors), but it's safe to assume that she won't be joining in to celebrate the idea that no books should be banned at all.
Los Angeles Times/Time Magazine

Can't find the closing stuff now.

Even still, banning books? Welcome the **** party.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Welcome the **** party.
Now, now. Nobody likes it when you compare Republicans to ****'s.

Tetragrammaton is more clever.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Notice the age under my name there. I'm not 68... I missed out on muscle cars, the emergence of rock and roll, and I'm tasked to save the earth, even though I had none of the fun of messing it up. I'm also not 22... Rage against The Machine doesn't fire me up, I'm not shotgunning brews anymore, I'm not living with my parents, and I don't look for advice from Puff Diddy Daddy and Snoopy Doggy Doggy Dog.

I'm 34. I work for a living, having to put up with the stories of the elders and the eager ambitions of the younger generation. One won't retire, so promotion is at a standstill. The other does everything they can to take your spot. So to me, politics, like life, is about **** integrity. Come election day, I'll let gramps worry about reviving the glory days. I'll let junior worry about saving the polar bears. I'm casting a vote for the guy or gal least likely to invade my anus, because work requires alot of walking.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Were you wearing a brown suit while being interviewed by The Daily Show last night?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 13edge
I'm not 68... I'm also not 22...

For the record: Snoop Diggity doesn't tell me what to do, I hate beer, and I'm posting this from my one of my own laptops in my own apartment (stealing the wireless, though)... but I do love Rage blasted at bleeding-ear levels.

And yes, I'm doing everything I can to take your spot. It's called progress, and if you don't keep up, it'll run you over. People can do a job better than you or I, more efficiently than us, cheaper than us, or even without us altogether. Deal with it.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Ooo I wanna go too

I'm not 68 and I'm not 34. I wouldn't give a ____ if someone loses his/her job because I got promoted. I only drink on occasion. I enjoy RATM for their music, not for their goals or beliefs. I'm not religious at all, in fact I'd prefer a religion-free world. I think Diddy is quite possibly the dumbest individual alive. I do live with my parents. I can easily afford to buy my own house, but I'd rather save up more money.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hooray! We're young and idealistic! And the same age, which makes it easy to lump us into a more specific demographic! AND WE HAVE THE SAME PERSON FOR AN AVATAR!

a/s/l?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

SO I guess it's my turn now then.

Hello, I'm vettereddie and I'm an alco.... sorry, wrong introduction.

I'm 28, married, have my own house and work as an engineer for the government. I'm tired of the Republican party being hijacked by a fundamentalist Christian agenda and would like to find a party of smaller government for business and individuals, but an expanded social system for health care. RATM makes some good music, as does Pearl Jam. Diddy is a good producer and phenomenal businessman, but has absolutely no business having a microphone in his hand. Snoop hasn't had a good cd since Dre stopped producing him, and is a poster child for why not to overuse weed.

Watch the end of last night's daily show, he interviews Huckabee and the message is,

Elect us Republicans so we can clean up the mess we spent the last 8 years creating.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Watch the end of last night's daily show, he interviews Huckabee and the message is,

Elect us Republicans so we can clean up the mess we spent the last 8 years creating.
I just watched that about an hour ago and I was shocked. How did he not get the nomination for the republican party...?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so just to recap this thead.......... we're screwed '08
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by neodemon278
so just to recap this thead.......... we're screwed '08
[citation needed]