Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: PC versus MAC
PC w/ windows
41.82%
PC w/ linux
3.64%
Mac
54.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

PC versus MAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I my MAC. Never have any problems with viruses or annoying pop-ups.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
I've only used a Mac when I was in high school so I don't have much experience with it. It really sounds like a hassle to find Mac stuff though.
less than u might think, welcome to the future because Vista was the straw that broke Windows back
Old 03-27-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i freakin hate macs. they are so slow when i'm trying to surf the net. and sometimes i can't get websites to work. i remember trying to order my vrd foglights from my parents mac on a weekend and the page would load up with the pictures and buttons misplaced. and then whever i tried to add to cart, it said "that item doesn't exist" or something. so the next day got back to school and used my laptop pc, absolutely no problem.

wow...no. Don't know what model you have or how old it is but that problem dosent make a whole lot of sense. It should be enough evidence that the most demanding computer industries like 3d animation and motion graphic/video production are 90% mac based. I work on Mac Pro every day and (if you know what ur doin) they are amazing. Sorry for the rant but im super passionate bout this. Most of the mac haters are just uneducated or misinformed
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure what model it is, it is an imac, the kind with a dome base and the monitor is held by a metal arm from the top. it has mac os 10. i compltely hate it when i have to use it.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
not sure what model it is, it is an imac, the kind with a dome base and the monitor is held by a metal arm from the top. it has mac os 10. i compltely hate it when i have to use it.

huh, dunno what to tell u bro. best advice is to use it more often cause thats what everybody will have in a few years.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

OK, first off, your poll options suck. (note I said the poll sux, not YOU!)

I use a Mac with:
Mac OS
Linux (Xubuntu)
Win XP

Why just limit the Mac to Mac OS in your poll?

I got the best of all worlds on one (actually three) Mac.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

PS - I just setup a $300k XSAN/Xserve with five Dual-Core Xeon servers and 30TB of storage - sends a nice 200MB/Sec over fiber.

Nothing here can touch it.
Macs rock, and so does AAPL.

Look no further than the Zune for the future of M$

And Dave, Sherlock is out, Spotlight is in.
Macs do NOT cost 3x-4x as much as a COMPARABLE PC. Grasp that word again before you post it.
PC Mag and others have even shown Macs are less when you count the built-in software which blows away anything on the Windows side.

I use them all, so I speak from experience, and in case you can't tell, it's my career.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
i think the myth of macs being problem free, went away with os8. I crash my mac everyday working on a network, mainly with adobe's CS2 (i just it for indesign/pshop).
Um, no.
If we converted to all-Mac, we'd lose 4 people overnight.
The only current Macs with trouble are user-inflicted.
On occasion, bad hardware like anyone else, but far fewer cases than the PCs.

Gotta know how to make it run.

NO viruses.
NO spyware.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciontCya
Macs do NOT cost 3x-4x as much as a COMPARABLE PC. Grasp that word again before you post it.
PC Mag and others have even shown Macs are less when you count the built-in software which blows away anything on the Windows side.

I use them all, so I speak from experience, and in case you can't tell, it's my career.
Sorry, I've been doing graphic design professionally for 11+ years now. The "Mac are better at graphic design" is total b.s. Yes, for a time it was, when adobe released their Mac versions 6months or so before their PC counterpart, but they stopped that in what, 1999? and macs had the edge for 5-6 months after that g3 first came out, then notta. I don't do 3d myself, so there may be more software written for macs.

and yes, Mac's are that much more than PCs. Look at the new Mac Pro(I have the last dual motorola g5 myself sitting in front of me). and look it's $2500!!!

with that you get a
<$99 video card, that is pretty dated now.
$500 for the mb/cpus
<$200 for the ram
$100-$150 burner
$150 hard drive
(btw, those are RETAIL prices, I'd think apple spends less when they build those 1000 or so machines for you guys)

about 1000-1100 worth of actual hardware, especially now that it's intel arcitecture. If I wanted I could really shop around and put it together cheaper. So you're paying 1400+ for that pretty aluminum case and operating system.

I can build a single cpu PC that runs faster than that, for <$1000.

Look I grew up with macs myself, but me and you both know, if apple didn't have ipods, macs would have been history 3+ years ago. I realise Mac people aren't into hardware, because well, they can't be. ever upgrade your video card? cpu? ram even?

and if you look at benchmarks for things like games(I think WoW benchmarks are easily found), or 3d rendering when it's comparable mhz pc vs. mac, macs come in at 80-70% of the pc(sure alot of that is soley the graphics drivers, but still)
Old 03-27-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Dave, you're clueless.
Sorry, but that last post was absolute crap.

See this

And this

And this

And this

And one more that backs up the low-end for junk-box buyers.

Just the OS

Lots of comparisons

Done here. Please read, Dave.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cluless? really? are those numbers not true?

great way to debate, btw.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
cluless? really? are those numbers not true?

great way to debate, btw.
I'm debating - just waiting for you to get some edumacation.

As for your STUPID crack about not upgrading hardware, you just absolutely proved you are indeed clueless and have an agenda to try and prove, which you have lost.

Go get a double mocha-choca-soy-latte and enjoy the reading.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was a mac hater for years...macs can run windows now, but i havent even bothered trying because the mac OS is so good. it took the better part of a month gettin used to using the apple key rather than the ctrl key for things.

but i love the F9 and F10 keys that let you see all the windows you have open and toggle to ones you need. even burning is so easy, just drag what you want burnt to a folder, click burn, no need for roxio or nero.

owning a mac is kinda like a scion, people with macs acknowledge each other, like when i first got my xB, other box owners were always sayin hi or givin the thumbs up
Old 03-27-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

#1 when you're trying to prove a point on computer prices, don't post links from 2004.

#2 Dell, like HP, like any "brand" of computers, don't actually make computer hardware. They make metal cases, monitor plastic, keyboards and mice(which again, is farmed out to the lowest bidded) and buy in bulk the cheapest made hardware, put it all together and slap their name on it. I never have/never will buy a "name brand" computer, The markup from Dell, HP, Apple, etc... is retarded. I personally only buy the best computer hardware "brands" and put it all together, and make a superior machine that way. and it's still half the price(for pcs). I'll goto Fry's for a mobo/cpu combo that I know their near losing money on(a loss leader as it's called to get you in the store), infotechnow for the hd, & ram, or newegg if I want to wait. Like a smart consumer, I look at prices and quality. I think mac users look at buying a dell or some garbage like that as the comparison of pc vs. mac.

#3 Buying software...this is where I guess you're argument might win that macs aren't but about twice what a pc would cost. I guess I have bought one of my copies of xp pro from my friends who work at microsoft for $40. other than that. no.

The "software bundle" that is on OSX, I've never used. I will always own adobe's suite and office because I need it for work.

Ok, the Dashboard is really cool, I do wish pc's had that. but really that's just little web apps which are found on thousands of free websites already.

I really don't get why not upgrading hardware is important to you. Every other year I can go out and buy a $250 video card that makes my machine run 80% faster, why wouldn't you do something like that, instead of having to save up a thousand or 2 to buy a new machine every 3-4 years.
I guess if I didn't play videogames i wouldn't either. I know yuo're older, but are you not interested in games like simcity4, or the new spore?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I run a lot of games, some Mac native, some in Boot Camp, which, BTW, blows away everything but an Alienware PC.
Mostly though, games are for consoles - which I have plenty of, but mostly it's my son who plays.

AS for price comparisons, Dave, there were many more current info posted, and to be honest, it's getting better for the Mac side, so old data is in your (PC) favor.

Now, another point I didn't mention. DOA hardware.
We use Toshiba and HP/Compaq PCs. DOA returns are huge.
Apple, since I've been at my current gig, about 5 Macs total.
Percentage of user base is MUCH lower for Apple DOA hardware - much lower.

As for not upgrading hardware, are you kidding?
And another point, the new XSAN i built costs much less than a competing server from DELL or IBM and it rocks.

You can use whatever tool you like - that's the best for everyone, but you are not telling the truth in your posts. Your data is just wrong and outdated.

I could buy a POS car too from the junk yard, put in a crate motor for 10k, and destroy 3/4 of the cars on the road, but I'd still be driving a POS with a great motor.

I, OTOH, buy a Lexus out of the box, and it runs and runs and runs.

One other point of interest is that here where I work, the Macs stay in production an average of five years, the PCs 2-3. Why? The still work, and work well.

TCO is better.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by socalscion
i was a mac hater for years...macs can run windows now, but i havent even bothered trying because the mac OS is so good. it took the better part of a month gettin used to using the apple key rather than the ctrl key for things.

but i love the F9 and F10 keys that let you see all the windows you have open and toggle to ones you need. even burning is so easy, just drag what you want burnt to a folder, click burn, no need for roxio or nero.

owning a mac is kinda like a scion, people with macs acknowledge each other, like when i first got my xB, other box owners were always sayin hi or givin the thumbs up
That's why there's that little, white Apple sticker on my rear window
The only one for my car.
And speaking of Apple (AAPL) it paid for my tC last year - the stock that is.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And speaking of Apple (AAPL) it paid for my tC last year - the stock that is.
In 5 - 8 years, that's going to turn out to be an 80k or more tC. I had a boss back in Austin who sold his Dell stock in 89 to buy a 280z. Oh yeah, Dell stock, 1989........turns out, that z cost him about $500k.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Dude. Most people pay 1.5x the price of a car over 6-7 years, I bought mine cash, with a FRACTION of my holdings.
Thanks for the financial tips though...
Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as you're happy bro...

btw, 9/10 is a fraction too ;)
Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

If I could only live in a box and not have to drive/eat/pay mortage/send kids to college, I could put All my cash into stocks and be rich(er)
But alas, I have to live.
As it stands, my investments are giving us a nice life.
Once in a while, you have to use some.
And I'm beyond happy, bro

Quick Reply: PC versus MAC