Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: PC versus MAC
PC w/ windows
41.82%
PC w/ linux
3.64%
Mac
54.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

PC versus MAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
For those of us who work 12 hours a day in something completely unrelated, we aren't going to do the research to determine the best parts let alone take the time to assemble our own computer. It's great that you have the time and knowledge to do it, but for joe average consumer, it's not feasable.
Haha, some of us have too much time on our hands at work...

You do what you're knowledgeble in. You think it's silly to pay someone to build your machine for you, I think it's silly to pay someone to invest my own money. Such is life.
I'll give ya that. I did, however, take the time to work out my portfolio for my retirement fund dealy from work and I have no knowledge of these things either, but I took the time to ask people who did know (those I don't have to pay).

Macs seem to be more efficient in allocating RAM, so less is no problem.
This might mainly be due to the OS though. Windoze sucks with ram efficiency. AMD is typically better with ram utilization that intel (on the hardware side of the argument).

Spend ~$1400 to get everything I need, in a system that will be robust and usuable for 5+ years? you bet. I have no need for any of the mega high dollar Pro systems.
Well this is pretty subjective. I can and have made systems for friends that are perfectly fine for 5+ years with a budget as low as $300. (for non-gaming, non-rendering)
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those of us who work 12 hours a day in something completely unrelated, we aren't going to do the research to determine the best parts let alone take the time to assemble our own computer. It's great that you have the time and knowledge to do it, but for joe average consumer, it's not feasable.

You do what you're knowledgeble in. You think it's silly to pay someone to build your machine for you, I think it's silly to pay someone to invest my own money. Such is life.

If I want a pc that's comparable to a mac, I will spend more. It doesn't bother me that the RAM and storage are well short, I'm seriously not that concerned about that. Storage is cheap, and there are literally dozens of options. Macs seem to be more efficient in allocating RAM, so less is no problem. I don't worry about games because I rarely get to play them, but when I do, I typically play the older games on Xbox anyway. It's usually just to pass the time anyway, and I have no emotional involvement in the game itself.

For me, Macs are better. Spend ~$1400 to get everything I need, in a system that will be robust and usuable for 5+ years? you bet. I have no need for any of the mega high dollar Pro systems. I'm undecided on which Mac I'm going to get, but my next computer will be a Mac. I did the upgrading thing in college, and I'm so done with it.
I work 2 jobs. one in catalog design/photography, 1 in sales/retail. some days I work 14 hours, some only 9. I get 1 in 14 days off. I have a family I support, and a son I teach to read near everynight. I guess I'm compulsive, but i read computer mags, saltwater books, paint, pastel, play guitar, cook, read software and programming manuals, and even do websites on the side for small businesses. I actually consider myself lazy. I guess i don't watch too much tv.

I don't know what everyone is doing with their time, but working 1 job probably 5 days a week means you have lots of free time.

learning about pcs is easy stuff, just grab a free "computer user" magazine at the local grocery store. in about 3 or 4 issues, you've covered every inch of a computer.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe the word passion is probably missing from his text. we don't have the passion to learn about computers. so, our free time is used towards that which we do have a passion for.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my passion is knowledge about the world I live in. politics, religion, history, technology, music, art, etc...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberscionofglendale
i believe the word passion is probably missing from his text. we don't have the passion to learn about computers. so, our free time is used towards that which we do have a passion for.
Yeah but you can only spend so much time on ****...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

then you need more passion
Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, I try to save the rest of my passion for the ladies...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well spent, very well spent.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My passion is BEER! BEER unites everyone...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Um... video cards, sound cards, PVRs, USB cards, Firewire cards, SATA cards, IDE cards, watercooling, case fans, lighting, optical drives, tape drives, media card drives, cpu fans, physics cards, shall I continue?
I was trying to be brief
All those things can and are updated in Macs.
I have a cabinet full of such parts.

The point was Macs can and do accept upgrades.
Dave, as usual, is wrong.

As for "picking up a free mag and you learn all about computers" I see why you need two jobs Dave.
Seriously.
And yes, it's like comparing you to my kids when they act stupid.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciontCya
As for "picking up a free mag and you learn all about computers" I see why you need two jobs Dave.
Sorry, i don't see the connection. You say reading about computer parts makes a need for 2 jobs? I live in an expensive city and want to provide well for my kid. I've not heard someone putting me down for busting my ___ and sacrificing my life for my child, yet, that's new.

Computer user magazine is dope. It's free and runs reviews on upcoming video cards, ram, motherboards, etc... you can learn a ton by reading them.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
Computer user magazine is dope. It's free and runs reviews on upcoming video cards, ram, motherboards, etc... you can learn a ton by reading them.
Ooooo really? I gotta find out if and where they have these in chicago.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I want a pc that's comparable to a mac, I will spend more. It doesn't bother me that the RAM and storage are well short, I'm seriously not that concerned about that. Storage is cheap, and there are literally dozens of options. Macs seem to be more efficient in allocating RAM, so less is no problem. I don't worry about games because I rarely get to play them, but when I do, I typically play the older games on Xbox anyway. It's usually just to pass the time anyway, and I have no emotional involvement in the game itself.

For me, Macs are better. Spend ~$1400 to get everything I need, in a system that will be robust and usuable for 5+ years? you bet. I have no need for any of the mega high dollar Pro systems. I'm undecided on which Mac I'm going to get, but my next computer will be a Mac. I did the upgrading thing in college, and I'm so done with it.
I work 2 jobs. one in catalog design/photography, 1 in sales/retail. some days I work 14 hours, some only 9. I get 1 in 14 days off. I have a family I support, and a son I teach to read near everynight. I guess I'm compulsive, but i read computer mags, saltwater books, paint, pastel, play guitar, cook, read software and programming manuals, and even do websites on the side for small businesses. I actually consider myself lazy. I guess i don't watch too much tv.

I don't know what everyone is doing with their time, but working 1 job probably 5 days a week means you have lots of free time.

learning about pcs is easy stuff, just grab a free "computer user" magazine at the local grocery store. in about 3 or 4 issues, you've covered every inch of a computer.
Sure I'm on the net a lot at work, but 99% of it is blocked out. When I get home, there's the baby, the wife, and the dog to take care of and spend time with. Days off are typically spent restocking the homestead with supplies, recharging from work, self improvement for work, and outtings with the fam. I really just don't care to relearn all the name brands to buy, the name brands to avoid, finding the best price, what acronyms to make sure I have, the acronyms that are no longer valid and the like.

Like someone said earlier, I have no passion for computers, they are just machines that I want to work when I'm ready to use them. I built and upgraded them in college, and I'm not at all interested in revisting those aggravating times, as my safety net guru has moved to the land of $1500/sq ft housing, $12 beers, and earthquakes.....San Fran.

Quick question: Do you sleep?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Wow... I've been a PC kid since my first 386 with 8 meg HD, but only use them for work now, as my Powerbook, iMac, and Macbook now dominate my life. It took a year or two for me to be converted, but I've had and built over 20 PCs and now wouldn't touch one, as I just don't need to anymore, I have better things to do with my time than piece together hardware and continually upgrade. My old Imac runs OSX just great, you couldn't say that with Vista and and old PC... PCs DEMAND upgrades to stay with current OS software, due to the insane amount of code in VISTA compared to the simplicity of OSXs.

It's all hinged on GAMES.... if you play a ton of games, get a PC, if you don't... Get a MAC... OSX is solidly the best OS out there, which is blatent, as Vista has clearly adopted many of the OSX features and is still a resource HOG comparitively and now well behind the curve in regards to being progressive and advanced, and Leapard will now once again set the standard for an OS.

I NEVER have crashed my OS, I NEVER have gotten a Virus, It does EVERYTHING I need it to, and is very good at it. I couldn't count the Virus issues, Hardware tweaks, and OS crashes in my PC experience.

Not only to my MACS run Windows XP and will soon run Vista, so I can toy around there if I ever have to, and aside from Games, has EVERY software tool I ever need for any use.

It's just out of the box, SOLID, It's intuative, Stable, Feature filled, and with the new Intel Chips, just flippin' amazing speed wise, and now with Adobe native support for the core 2 duos, it's going to be even that much better for Image production.

Even if anyone rationalizes the idea that it costs more, I'd still pay it... Quality, Consistency, Performance, and Reputation.... worth every penny.

There's always PC guys out there who will fight to the death about quality/features/price/upgradability.... and I think most of them still drive domestics too.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't find computer parts as any passion. I build a computer or 2 once every 2 years. some for me, some for my friends. I do play sim-type games on it, and first person shooters every once in a while. I guess I'm interested in how they work, but you only have to spend like an hour reading about them once every month or 2 to be ontop of upcoming technologies. for the last couple years, knowing about personal use computer performance is 80% about video cards anyway. nvidia vs. asus... maybe i shold start another poll debate? lol
Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't find computer parts as any passion. I build a computer or 2 once every 2 years. some for me, some for my friends. I do play sim-type games on it, and first person shooters every once in a while. I guess I'm interested in how they work, but you only have to spend like an hour reading about them once every month or 2 to be ontop of upcoming technologies. for the last couple years, knowing about personal use computer performance is 80% about video cards anyway. nvidia vs. asus... maybe i shold start another poll debate? lol
Thats assuming that one has spent the last 10 years keeping up. If one hasn't been keeping up, there's a whole lotta catching up to do. Time which I could use elsewhere on other ventures....like how to make sure I can maintain my family, income, security, and the most important thing of all: my sanity. All at the same time building for a better future for the above so that I don't have to keep this hectic pace up till I'm 60, 70 or 80.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
Wow... I've been a PC kid since my first 386 with 8 meg HD, but only use them for work now, as my Powerbook, iMac, and Macbook now dominate my life. It took a year or two for me to be converted, but I've had and built over 20 PCs and now wouldn't touch one, as I just don't need to anymore, I have better things to do with my time than piece together hardware and continually upgrade. My old Imac runs OSX just great, you couldn't say that with Vista and and old PC... PCs DEMAND upgrades to stay with current OS software, due to the insane amount of code in VISTA compared to the simplicity of OSXs.

It's all hinged on GAMES.... if you play a ton of games, get a PC, if you don't... Get a MAC... OSX is solidly the best OS out there, which is blatent, as Vista has clearly adopted many of the OSX features and is still a resource HOG comparitively and now well behind the curve in regards to being progressive and advanced, and Leapard will now once again set the standard for an OS.

I NEVER have crashed my OS, I NEVER have gotten a Virus, It does EVERYTHING I need it to, and is very good at it. I couldn't count the Virus issues, Hardware tweaks, and OS crashes in my PC experience.

Not only to my MACS run Windows XP and will soon run Vista, so I can toy around there if I ever have to, and aside from Games, has EVERY software tool I ever need for any use.

It's just out of the box, SOLID, It's intuative, Stable, Feature filled, and with the new Intel Chips, just flippin' amazing speed wise, and now with Adobe native support for the core 2 duos, it's going to be even that much better for Image production.

Even if anyone rationalizes the idea that it costs more, I'd still pay it... Quality, Consistency, Performance, and Reputation.... worth every penny.

There's always PC guys out there who will fight to the death about quality/features/price/upgradability.... and I think most of them still drive domestics too.
28 and don't play pc games?!? wow.
I will agree that macs are almost virus proof because virus are made to effect the most amount of people ala pc'ers.

but give me $2500 and if my options are a g5 without a monitor or a MUCH faster pc made from better parts and still have enough for a $1000+ lcd monitor...i think logic has to come into play there.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u just cant teach some people. we have both macs and pcs in my production studio where we r runnin way more intense stuff than just photoshop and illustrator the PCs we have are pretty pimped but they DO NOT run anywhere near as reliable as macs. u can start talin individual components but it makes no difference. If u got a v8 in rusted out '88 cavilier, its still a piece of crap. this is as bad as comparin 3ds to Maya. there is no comparison here.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

It's pretty evident that the credibility and tact reside on the side of the MAC users, as you resort to cynical talk and broud statements to defend your weaker position.

Realistically, there's evidence to show that component wise, a PC can be built to be faster for cheaper, but it still doesn't account for reliability, software security, OS compatibility and STABILITY, and 0 building time, or tweaking time to get things all talking and working together.

MOST people don't wish or desire to invest the time, energy, study, and frustration involved with picking and choosing between the 1000's of PC components out there to build a "Superior" machine... Like me, many would rather pay a small premium to have a well researched, HIGHLY reviewed, and VERY Progressive MAC right out of the Box.

Addressing on cost alone is a weak argument, as in life, MANY, MANY examples are out there of why individuals spend more money for products, than their less expensive comparisons... Kia/Scion, Nike/Payless, Purebread/Mutt, Harvard/Community College....

It's all about a thousand little things and reasons why people choose to pay more.... Marketing/High Reviews/Out of the Box Performance/Reliability/Stability/Features/Looks/Progressiveness/Low Maintenence/Association/Developement/Simplicity/Security.... and on and on are on the side of the MAC, I'd give up on the arguement of price for any of those, any day.

Add in the neccesity to continually have to upgrade, along with the intensely higher amount of code involved to make an OS work with thousands of different possible components, along with the reality that the OS developement from Microsoft is now lagging behind that of Apple and their progressive development in OSX and coming up with their new OS update.... it just starts to stack the deck...

Just for Cynical Sake... the following entertainment...

PLUS, my car is cooler than yours, so my opinion counts more. So there.... and my dad can woop your dad.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn...there's so much to read..but I think it all comes down to personal preference. I personally have a Dell laptop, but I wouldn't mind buying a Mac just to know one more side of the world.

Quick Reply: PC versus MAC