Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: PC versus MAC
PC w/ windows
41.82%
PC w/ linux
3.64%
Mac
54.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

PC versus MAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost...

so... now, the argument is hardware only? Build your own or buy a prefab off the shelf (for 2x+ more)?
No, it doesn't Dave.
Seen these attempts at running OSX on Macs and it's pretty lousy in reality.

Anyway, yes, I'll pay whatever - and IF I had to actually pay for mine I still would, but I don't - it costs because it's a better tool for me.

It's not hardware only.
Running multiple OSes on my hardware/OS is a cinch.
I've already (this year alone) had ~15 people in my company within IT and developers switch to Intel Macs and love them.
Hardcore PC guys that now all run Apple hardware - dontcha think they'd have stayed with it if it we "just the box"?

It's not, and you guys don't get it so it's on to something more exciting like wheels or tires or windshield washer fluid
Old 03-30-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

are you saying the average air force pilot is dumber than the average marine?
No Dave, the average USAF drone isn't even a pilot. Actually, I believe the Navy has the most pilots, followed by the Marines.

Marine pilots are actually tough too - to you, I guess that means stupid?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jpauletteUSAF
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Maddox hits the nail on the head, here
read that **** abuot the pedosmile
Old 03-31-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciontCya
No Dave, the average USAF drone isn't even a pilot. Actually, I believe the Navy has the most pilots, followed by the Marines.

i thought the word flyboy was a term for pilot, and not just someone in the air force. I was under the impression that air force pilots are, at least on paper, on average the smartest men of the armed forces. I got a few marine friends I grew up with. they're, not smart at all. they've been made tough, sure, but intelligence was obviously not a critieria for becoming a marine.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've also seen it done as well and OSX runs flawlessly if your not too stupid to be able to set it up correctly. Everyone who I know who has built their own computer and runs OSX ontop of XP is very pleased with the results and savings in price but the people who have done that obviously have some computer smarts and use XP anyway just because Mac is aimed toward the "not very savy" computer user. Not everyone can afford to go buy a $10k system like you SciontCya... If I had $10k laying around you can bet your butt I wouldn't be on a Scion forum anymore.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

^ Such Credibility There On That Page ^

I'm glad he represents the PC guys... I still stand by my clear breakdown list and it's results...

It's a pain to message with people who just argue/flame for the sake of doing it, not on true merits.... and seattledave....

Rule #2 - "Use only language acceptable in public. Misspelled profanity is still profanity..."
Old 03-31-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

f I had $10k laying around you can bet your butt I wouldn't be on a Scion forum anymore.
I know, you'll be here a lonnnnng time.
And since your com-pre-hen-sion seems limited, I stated I didn't pay for them, my work does.

Enjoy being a Scion owner for the next 30 years brain surgeon.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by iyzmi
...just because Mac is aimed toward the "not very savy" computer user...
Wow, interesting opinion there.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

i thought the word flyboy was a term for pilot, and not just someone in the air force. I was under the impression that air force pilots are, at least on paper, on average the smartest men of the armed forces. I got a few marine friends I grew up with. they're, not smart at all. they've been made tough, sure, but intelligence was obviously not a critieria for becoming a marine.
"Flyboy" is generally used by Marines as a dig at Air Force pilots.
You know, the ones that were SMART LIKE THIS?

I don't even think most USAF pilots can land on a carrier, but hey, the dumb leathernecks can...
Old 03-31-2007, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by doctorcue
...just because Mac is aimed toward the "not very savy" computer user...
Wow, interesting opinion there.
Yeah, but you can bet that that super-intelligent computer user/builder spends a lot of time enjoying content made on Macs.

In my many experiences, it's always the jealous ones that can't afford a Mac that have the biggest chips (no pun intended) on their shoulders.
Why else would they mock/flame and still run OSX on their beige boxes?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've also seen it done as well and OSX runs flawlessly if your not too stupid to be able to set it up correctly.
Not being able to do it for the "General Buyer" is evidence of it's inferiority to MACs ability to dual boot easily for anyone. Usabilty for the General Market (85 Percent or So of Buyers), is a HUGE criteria for product quality.

Everyone who I know who has built their own computer and runs OSX ontop of XP is very pleased with the results and savings in price but the people who have done that obviously have some computer smarts and use XP anyway just because Mac is aimed toward the "not very savy" computer user.
MAC has a marketing push toward the "Non Savy" User, but it is well recognized by the photo/movie/music industry as a solid and recognised industry standard, so they aren't solely for the "Non-Savy" in any way.... it's more that the power can be harnesses by the non-savy just as easily for the "Super-Savy", which is a brilliant depiction of how it surpasses PCs in that regard.

Not everyone can afford to go buy a $10k system like you SciontCya... If I had $10k laying around you can bet your butt I wouldn't be on a Scion forum anymore.
You don't have to spend 10K for a MAC setup that will compare and perform at or above similiar available PC options for the general public... is it true that a savy builder can build a superior performing (speed/Gaming) wise PC for cheaper, YES, but there are many other merits that are more valuable to buyers than solely Price=Speed/Gaming, as all the other criteria I have in my list are important as well.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, I don't represent PC or Mac, I use both on a daily basis and I think they are both fine OS's I just wanted to point out the fact that a PC can run OSX just as good as a Mac can run XP...

Second, I don't own a Scion, I was looking into buying one a couple years ago and just fell in love with the forum.

Third, I don't run OSX on my "beige box" (they haven't been beige since like 1999 by the way) nor do I really want to. Just saying the possibility is there for those who want to take advantage of it.

Fourth, setting up OSX really isn't that hard, there's a step by step tutorial if you care to read it. It's just not as widespread as such things as bootcamp.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Someone
I prefer saving a bit of money (a big bit) and building my own PC, then tweaking it to blow any Mac in it's price range out of the water.
You think that if we apply that logic to "ANY PRODUCT" on the market that it would work?

Any product that requires you "Tweak" it, or have a larger than neccesary knowledge of it to make it work properly or superior to the competition, is a Inferior Product by definition. True, it may be cheaper, but cost is a minimal factor when you compare all the other criteria...

Once and Again, defending a product on the basis that if you TWEAK it enough, or are Expert Enough with components/troubleshooting/modifying/building that it makes is superior is EXTREMELY FLAWED when it comes to comparing overall superiority
Old 03-31-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

One more time.
I can run Linux on my iPod (and do)
Could my grandma do it? No.
Some people can hack OS X to run on a non-Mac.
Can my grandma do it? No.

Macs are superior in that yes, less computer-savvy people can sue them. Is it a badge of honor that something is so difficult, only really smart folks can use it? No.
Isn't that the reason people USE computers?

The fact that idiots can get work done on a Mac is telling.
Doesn't make it any less of a great tool.

Why do you think the iPod is so successful? Simple. Elegant. Works.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree that Mac is more user-friendly for "grandma" but there is another side to all that. PC is for people who understand how to take advantage of a computer to it's fullest, even if grandma can't.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And for those who are capable of doing one night's worth of research and figuring out they can buy a Mac much cheaper by making it themselves (building a PC is easy) and still want the "pretty Mac case", here you go:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811164060
I don't like it very much, that one or the real Mac one, but for those who do, have at it. I would choose something different since I have so many options for cases that aren't beige boxes:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...Computer-Cases
Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

A Product that is by nature only ability to be used at it's fullest to those who understand how to is inferior to a product that can be used at it fullest by anyone. especially when that fullest is superior in many ways, other than cost.

We have given the PC guys cost and gaming.... but that's the only factor in which PC's have the edge for the general public... and that's what REALLY matters....

The less than 15-20 percent of the buying public which has the knowledge/time/capability to build and tweak and maintain a product is NOT part of the discussion regarding a product's TRUE superiority.

Once again.... MACs have the edge in almost all categories... PC guys still stick to TWEAKING and COST to try to maintain an arguement...

Average User (~85%) - Not Tinkerer/Builder (~15-20%)

[table:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Category[mcol:a98fd23983]PC[mcol:a98fd23983]MAC[mrow:a98fd23983]Gaming[mcol:a98fd23983][mcol:a98fd23983].[mrow:a98fd23983]Cost[mcol:a98fd23983][mcol:a98fd23983]. [mrow:a98fd23983]Software (Out Of Box)[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Software Stability[mcol:a98fd23983].[mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Mass Usability[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Upgradable Hardware[mcol:a98fd23983][mcol:a98fd23983].[mrow:a98fd23983]Networking[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Printer/Drive Sharing Ease[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Security[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]OS Features[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]MULTI OS Compatibility[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]OS Innovation[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Design/Looks[mcol:a98fd23983] .[mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Spyware/Virus Resistance[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Software Install/Removal ease[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][mrow:a98fd23983]Computer Setup and Maintenence[mcol:a98fd23983]. [mcol:a98fd23983][/table:a98fd23983]
Old 03-31-2007, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I don't even think most USAF pilots can land on a carrier, but hey, the dumb leathernecks can...
nice to hear doggin on marines...
Old 03-31-2007, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by jpauletteUSAF
Yeah? And most Marines I know are latent homosexuals.

Macs. ___.

Marines. Also ___.

Match made in heaven!

you must be hangin around a ___ bar or something cause i'm not ___ and none of the marines I know are ___. alltho most airmen on the last airforce base I was on seemed very very queer.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05

nice to hear doggin on marines...
Um, dear friend: my brother is said Marine Pilot and it was sarcasm...go eat dinner and get some blood sugar flowing.

Quick Reply: PC versus MAC