Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Pope's words set off protests!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pope's words set off protests!

Pope Stops Short of Apology to Muslims
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
By FRANCES D'EMILIO
Associated Press Writer

VATICAN CITY (AP) -- Pope Benedict XVI "sincerely regrets" offending Muslims with his reference to an obscure medieval text that characterizes some of the teachings of Islam's founder as "evil and inhuman," the Vatican said Saturday.

But the statement stopped short of the apology demanded by Islamic leaders around the globe, and anger among Muslims remained intense. Palestinians attacked five churches in the West Bank and Gaza over the pope's remarks Tuesday in a speech to university professors in his native Germany.

In a broader talk rejecting any religious motivation for violence, Benedict cited the words of a Byzantine emperor who characterized some of the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad as "evil and inhuman," particularly "his command to spread by the sword the faith."
The pontiff didn't endorse that description, but he didn't question it, and his words set off a firestorm of protests across the Muslim world.

Bertone's statement, released Saturday by the Vatican press office, failed to satisfy critics, although British Muslim leaders said it was a welcome step.

Mohammed Bishr, a senior Muslim Brotherhood member in Egypt, said the statement "was not an apology" but a "pretext that the pope was quoting somebody else as saying so and so."

"We need the pope to admit the big mistake he has committed and then agree on apologizing, because we will not accept others to apologize on his behalf," Bishr said.

There was no indication whether the pope would do so. His first public appearance since his return from Germany was set for Sunday, when Benedict planned to greet the faithful at Castel Gandolfo, the papal summer residence in the Alban Hills near Rome.

PEOPLE: BEFORE YOU START POSTING ANYTHING, BE ABOVE ALL RESPECTFUL TO ALL!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I don't really know what to think about this. Just like the caricatures that were done that set off widespread violent protests earlier this year, it's like the Muslim people (not all of them, because I do not wish to generalize, but the ones who went into violent protest) only solidify the initial remarks made about them when they react in this manner. They were called "evil and inhuman," and while their reaction wasn't that extreme, it was indeed violent and unreasonable. I know that freedom of speech isn't guaranteed everywhere like here in the United States and most European nations, but what do they have to gain by attacking churches and igniting violent protest?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In a broader talk rejecting any religious motivation for violence, Benedict cited the words of a Byzantine emperor who characterized some of the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad as "evil and inhuman," particularly "his command to spread by the sword the faith."
It's interesting that any member of the Catholic church would make any remarks about ANOTHER religion using violence to spread and maintain their faith.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

An apple tree produces apples. That's how you know its an apple tree.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im afraid that if these radical muslims don't grow up, horrible things will be on the horizon for both sides. You can't beat muslms in a war because they don't give a crap about being killed.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The difference is Catholics have for the most part stopped using violence, unlike the muslims.

Originally Posted by evilBOXevil

It's interesting that any member of the Catholic church would make any remarks about ANOTHER religion using violence to spread and maintain their faith.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ModelAXb
Im afraid that if these radical muslims don't grow up, horrible things will be on the horizon for both sides. You can't beat muslms in a war because they don't give a crap about being killed.
That is not respectful answer
Old 09-20-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why is it that anytime someone says something bad about the muslim faith, they have angry (sometimes violent) protests, yet they say all kinds of stuff about whoever they want? Did ya ever hear how nice they talk about Christians or Jews?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:39 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm Roman Catholic, being raised in Italy, and have been brought up to believe some extremely Catholic ideas. The difference between me and another "hard core" Catholic follower is that I choose to see what I see with my eyes and not my beliefs. It's hard to start a conversation wtih anyone today about religion and not have it spark anger between the two or more sides.

The problem is that not one side is accepting any fault on anything that has happened with their religion. This is just a general comment and not intended to the matter that we are speaking of on this post.

To comment on this, I do agree that it is hard to believe a Catholic is saying something about a religion being surrounded by corruption, when Catholocism itself was bread out of war and fear. People who think otherwise must not have heard of the Roman Empire. But on the flip side, for one religion who is known for being quite peaceful to respond with war-like actions is such a contradiction in beliefs.

This is the hard part to understand. No two people see a religion the same way b/c if they did, eventually there would only be one religion for the world. The "weaker" and less approved of religions would slowly be exciled and eliminated by the dominant one. Hence, how most "name brand" religions have come about today. Top religions such as Catholocism, Baptist, Muslem, Islam have all come to "power" through aggresion, rather than peace. Sad notion of the "nice guy finishes last."

I don't intend to make this a long biblical debate, although I might have already started, but hope that others can believe what they believe without having to push it upon others. That's the only way this so-called "world peace" could even be thought of. But let's face it, mankind is not meant to live together in peace, but to survive. Simple notion thought up by Charles Darwin and fits almost every perspective of life in almost any situation.

Funny, a Catholic (me) proclaiming the knowledge of Charles Darwin. This is called an open mind, and it's sad that there are so few around.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by web
I'm Roman Catholic, being raised in Italy, and have been brought up to believe some extremely Catholic ideas. The difference between me and another "hard core" Catholic follower is that I choose to see what I see with my eyes and not my beliefs. It's hard to start a conversation wtih anyone today about religion and not have it spark anger between the two or more sides.
literally
ty for putting down what I was going to say

religion & politics
Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 09-20-2006, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
Why is it that anytime someone says something bad about the muslim faith, they have angry (sometimes violent) protests, yet they say all kinds of stuff about whoever they want? Did ya ever hear how nice they talk about Christians or Jews?
Saying bad things about the muslim faith isn't what gets them angry. its saying bad things about their prophet is what makes them get mad as was the case with the drawings. also i don't think i have heard them make fun of Jesus christ or moses because both of them are also prophets to the muslims.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For as long as mankind is on Earth, there will never be peace amongst religions. Religions are political aspects of faith. Faith is what an individual holds true to their beliefs. Religions are simply the foreground of a deeper meaning to it's people. Religion is what is corrupt, faith is pure.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here is my stance. Not all muslims think and act through violence. Only the select few which are posterized day in and day out. Secondly, all faiths have radicals, you justhere about some more than others. Honestly, every country fights its wars, whether it be for money, land, religion, or whatever they deem necassary. World history have been marred with these fights and wars. ie the Crusades. So, let be realsitic here, I feel the Pope was out of line addressing the ideas that way, and if I were muslim I would be upset too. Because even as a christian, many may say well, the Kuran preaches violence, but doesnt the Bible say, an eye for an eye? And on another note, i just pray the unthought comment of the Pope, and the politcal faux pauxs of the president dont lead to more war. Because to be political, its a rule, to never directly point a finger, just generalize, so that you dont cause conflict, but Bush has called out whole countries thispast week at the UN. So, the state we are all is is weary. Lets not argue further who was right or wrong, lets hope and pray that these words and comments dont spawn into something more.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:00 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Agreed.

The point about Bush, though, may start more talking. I have my views on him and hate him, but others may like him. We will never agree and that's fine, but for this and same for religion, don't try to push your belief on anyone that has an opposing one to yours. You will never be able to have that conversation without one or the other getting ____ed.

Let's just pray nothing worse comes of this.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

"With God on Our Side" Bob Dylan
Old 09-20-2006, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True, it does have to do with differences between our religions, but the extremists have also declared war on the West itself. The said the holy war will not stop until Islam rules the world. There is no reasoning with some of them, like I said before, things are going to get alot worse before they get better. I've got friends over there in the mid-east that have been maimed by IEDs and other weapons of war that they use in the name of their god.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ModelAXb
True, it does have to do with differences between our religions, but the extremists have also declared war on the West itself. The said the holy war will not stop until Islam rules the world. There is no reasoning with some of them, like I said before, things are going to get alot worse before they get better. I've got friends over there in the mid-east that have been maimed by IEDs and other weapons of war that they use in the name of their god.
Their God????

Uhm hello? It's the same God

and excuse me don't we have weapons too? But what we do it in name of Oil instead of God, now I dunno which is worst
Old 09-20-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

The extremists, are however, exactly that: extreme. They are the most radical examples of their religion, and it is ignorant and shortsighted, as well as potentially devastating, to associate the words "Muslim" or "Islam" with "terrorist" or "suicide bomber." I'm not saying anyone here has done that, I'm just pointing it out. The very good point was raised that every group has extremists-- were the United States being oppressed by an overbearing Muslim group, would not at least a small handful of radical Christians come forth and do something extreme? The root of the problem is stereotyping, and the seperation of denotation and connotation. Until there is peaceful discourse, there can exist no understanding.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

this is the third time I get a chance to post my fav quote on this forum:

Stereotyping is the refuge of ignorance

Quick Reply: Pope's words set off protests!