Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Public Broadcasting Under Attack Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Public Broadcasting Under Attack Again

Once again the Bush administration is pushing to cut all funding for non-commercial broadcasting in our country. With the shrill 24/7 commercial values being drummed into our heads everywhere else on the dial, combined with the complexity of the problems that face our nation these days, I believe it's more important than ever that we have a people's alternative in broadcasting, not shaped by corporate interests. It seems to me no network respects the intellect of its viewers more than PBS.

If you believe that public broadcasting (both radio and TV) is worth a little tax-payer support — and I mean a little (currently less than $2 per person in our country) — click http://civic.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/ and, with the help of MoveOn.org, let your representatives in Washington DC know your feelings.

You have to wonder why our present administration remains so adamant about killing public broadcasting. Every few years, people who agree that there's a place for non-commercial children's broadcasting, deeper news coverage, classical music, and of course travel shows a bit more engaging than the standard fare on the Travel Channel these days raise our voices to keep public broadcasting alive in our country — and we prevail. Let's keep it that way.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's happening because public radio and tv are not pro-republican, it's automatically veiwed as anti-republican. I hate that "you're either with us or against us mentality".

thanks for the link, and the heads up. i listen to npr everyday, like 2-3+ hours worth. Personally I don't like pbs tv for news because when they do a story about foreign affairs or politics, it's still in the 30 minute or 1 hour format, with lots of money wasted doing "on location" reporting. NPR allows me to get a story in 5-15 minutes.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
I think it's happening because public radio and tv are not pro-republican, it's automatically veiwed as anti-republican. I hate that "you're either with us or against us mentality".

thanks for the link, and the heads up. i listen to npr everyday, like 2-3+ hours worth. Personally I don't like pbs tv for news because when they do a story about foreign affairs or politics, it's still in the 30 minute or 1 hour format, with lots of money wasted doing "on location" reporting. NPR allows me to get a story in 5-15 minutes.
I hear ya. I dont even watch KPBS anymore...kinda hard w/o a tv. Not too much into their news brodcasts, but Rick Steeves was the only show I would try to watch.

NPR is great though, although I dont get more than an hour in usually.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's because the show '24' isn't on PBS...
Watching the 'good guy' jack Bauer duct tape a guy to an office chair, inject him with windex, and then cut off a finger with a paper cutter, in order to get a terrotist to confess about the next horrible plot- does more to influence American minds to put Mr. Bush's plans in a positive light, than any PBS 'educational' show could ever do.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing

I hear ya. I dont even watch KPBS anymore...kinda hard w/o a tv. Not too much into their news brodcasts, but Rick Steeves was the only show I would try to watch.

NPR is great though, although I dont get more than an hour in usually.
i never would have thought growing up I'd be into "talk radio". but it's funny, moving, and educating.

All 10 of my presets in my xB are:
NPR-C895FM-NPR-C895FM-NPR
Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i never would have thought growing up I'd be into "talk radio". but it's funny, moving, and educating.

All 10 of my presets in my xB are:

When I disconnected my battery to clean my MAF, I programmed 89.5 on preset 1 and left it at that. It is quite rare I listen to the radio anyway if I am not listening to the news.

Well, the whole cycle of 'alternative media' began for me with music. Than my distaste for typical movies began to develop from there. Now I am able to see the world with eyes so far removed from my former that at times it is frightening. I feel that I understand a great bit about how society really works, what the true motives are for what passes as entertainment and/or education. When I hear people parrot public propaganda they picked up from their pastor, mtv, George Bush or other such ilk, I know that the path I choose, albeit not a popular path by any means, is the right one for me.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my love of alternative media was started at 12/13, when still having to go to church everyday(church+christian school=everyday) as a very open and questioning atheist was difficult. It may have been hearing from the preacher's son how "dinosaurs were a hoax created by the scientific community to dispel christianity" that started it off. This was the child everyone loved in my large baptist church in texas.

And the night of the 2000 elections, when g.w.bush was announced, I said "great a republican, now we're going to war." it wasn't a guess. it's the history of our country.