Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

rice-a-phobia

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default rice-a-phobia

it is really hilarious to see how much the word "rice" is used on scionlife. Everyone says....i found some really awesome rims that i totally love for an unbelievable price, but I'm just afraid they look too "rice". It's crazy. Very important point of interest....THIS IS A JAPANESE VEHICLE!!! Do not be afraid to put japanese parts on it. Honestly, it is hard to make the tc "rice"............rice is a cavalier with 2-foot high wing, body-kit, and tuner wheels.....that is "rice" because it's a PRETENDER!! Come on, face the rice with courage and boldly go where no tc owner has gone before!!! enkei, konig, body-kits and exhausts don't make cars "rice"..........what ruins a car is bad taste and gaudiness.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I think you have it wrong.
My interpretation of "Ricer" is a Japanese car that's trying to be bad-___ like a '60's American Muscle car.
Obviously, putting Japanese parts on a Japanese car makes sense - or at least as much sense as any other country's parts...
In the end, a Chevelle 454 SS will destroy any ricer - as will a ton of other Muscle Cars.
The point is that these are the new (and affordable) muscle cars for the current generation.
Just have fun no matter what you drive - I NEVER thought I'd own anything like this - having owned (to name a few) a '69 Mach 1 and '69 Z28 Camaro.

Have fun with your fart can!

Scott
Old 01-09-2006, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

well........dont have a fart can.......have the dc sports exhaust...seems like people are just a little too concious of what other people will label them instead of just doing what they like.........which is the whole point of having a scion.......customization and individualization.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i seem to see that the people who toss out the term rice, usually have a stock car............everything thing you do to your car is a expression of ones self, and for someone to talk ____ about it is american as apple pie.
But i think the term for me is describing a car that has such horrible mods, mods that dont look right, like a big wing on a ford taurus, or a muffler with no other mods........that too me is rice. But i think it does get over used........
Old 01-09-2006, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Here in LA, you see tons of POS Japanese cars with fart cans, and faux carbon fiber parts - you know, the stickers on the gas cap crap.
They try to race everyone, and are usually filled with people that look like they came from the carnival in some podunk place.
I now have people trying to race me in my tC - give me a freakin' break. I got this car for many reasons - none of them being to race anyone.
When i want to do that, I get on one of my bikes

Have fun, enjoy your SCION - it's a great car. Just don't put on pink rims.

Scot
Old 01-09-2006, 10:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Rice in my book is something that tries to be what it is not. Such as those "Wide body" civics that I see around LA. C'mon they have like 500 LBS of bondo on them. They're not going to go anywhere, when it still has the single cam D16, Huge rims that make them loose even more torque, a heavy ___ sound system, and a huge exhaust that belongs on a Turbo RX-7 or something like that. They wonder why they lose so easily to a semi Stock (stock looking cept for the rims, springs ans exhaust) Scion xB. My exhaust is loud as hell, Around 115dB, but its justified by actually giving me a cleaner powerband that I wanted when I race my Scion in the canyons. And since my car sounds stock at idle, its fun when ricers try to rev at me, I rev it and they jump at the sound. And No, im not one of those people who rev at everyone, and mashes on the car everywhere I go, I try to keep it quiet unless I'm in a hurry.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I see a person's car as an extension of themselves. If I see a Lexus, BMW, etc, I expect to see a clean cut person dressed up in a nice business suit step out. On the other end of the spectrum, if I see a rusted out POS with the rear struts almost nonexistant, I expect to see some white trash in it.

Now, to my point. If I see a very nice looking import with every part carefully picked to enhance the vehicle's performance, I will have a lot of respect for that person because they respect their car. However, when I see a cavalier with a wing, monster tach, and fart can...I expect to see an Eminem wannabe step out.

If they are trying to make their car look fast with the modifications making no actual performance enhancements, they are probably a poser. I will just laugh as I drive by them knowing that I care about my car.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slboettcher
Here in LA, you see tons of POS Japanese cars with fart cans, and faux carbon fiber parts - you know, the stickers on the gas cap crap.
They try to race everyone, and are usually filled with people that look like they came from the carnival in some podunk place.
I now have people trying to race me in my tC - give me a freakin' break. I got this car for many reasons - none of them being to race anyone.
When i want to do that, I get on one of my bikes

Have fun, enjoy your SCION - it's a great car. Just don't put on pink rims.

Scot
and what is wrong with pink rims???

this is a local se members car his name is mike and his pink rims look awsome
Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

^^^ Aaron - it's a forum joke...look around, you'll see.
Anyway, those aren't too bad - but a GUY has those??? OK....

Scott
Old 01-09-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look around?? man i live here lol and i havent seen any thing about pink rims
Old 01-09-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

haha he is referring to the tC that has the Supercharger with the intercooler with pink rims... its disgusing lol.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Thanks, Dave - I was looking for that!!!

Scott
Old 01-09-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok point well taken lol man that is fugly lol
Old 01-09-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

lol no problem. i cant help but laugh whenever i see that poor poor tC. wtf was that person thinkin?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I believe it's from watching too much Spike TV! All these "moto" shows are a joke - do you see how many idiots now have shops and TV shows? The crap being rolled out today is amazing. It's also sad. Look at that thing and other "customs" and you can tell that taste has almost no place in this market...

Scott
Old 01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slboettcher
I believe it's from watching too much Spike TV! All these "moto" shows are a joke - do you see how many idiots now have shops and TV shows? The crap being rolled out today is amazing. It's also sad. Look at that thing and other "customs" and you can tell that taste has almost no place in this market...

Scott

hahaha hve you ever seen the horse power tv project civic lol that has to be riced right lol front mount intake
Old 01-09-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I've seen that. Been home sick, watching all this car/moto crap and I want to puke on half of it.
Honest to god, all you have to do is get some ink, wear "cool" clothes, get a couple of buddies to swear at and argue with, one garage, and some bad ideas, and you got yourself a TV show.
Friggin' hell.

Scott
Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha if that was the case i would have a tv show already i think im missing some thing hmmm maybe its beocuse im not a duechebag
Old 01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

^^^

Scott
Old 01-10-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The great irony of the whole rice thing is that people claim its about "individuality" and being "unique" when people pick the most common cars on the road to start with, then make them all look pretty much like each other. All these fools have virtually the same looking stupid fart pipes which add virtually no power (BTW if you can fit an orange in your exhaust tip and you don't have a V8-- you have a fart pipe) They all have the same stupid "shopping lists" down the side and basically emulate each others "style"

The best way to be unique would be to start by choosing a car that isn't driven by 9,843,743 other people and doing subtle tasteful mods. A wing and a fart pipe isn't original or unique. That fruity banner with the name of your "club" across your windsheild? Not unique either. It's all been done before so stop thinking you're unique and creative when you put the same wing, the same 19" wheels and the same stupid stickers as 100,000 other idiots on your economy car.

How about being unique and individual as a person instead of following the same stupid trends as all your pimple faced Eminem wannabe thug friends?