Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: Do you find the Confederate Flag racist?
Yes
37.50%
No
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Should the confederate flag be Banned from NASCAR?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Should the confederate flag be Banned from NASCAR?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?...yhoo&type=lgns

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

The debate over what the symbol means and who gets to define that meaning has been waged for decades. The issues surrounding the flag are as complex as they are emotionally charged. The arguments some proponents of the flag make are varied, intellectually sound and mature and, if the flag flapped in a vacuum, convincing.

"It's been used in racist ways, but no symbol has one meaning," said John Coski, author of the book "The Confederate Battle Flag – America's Most Embattled Emblem" and a historian at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Va.

The essential argument of flag proponents is summed up on popular bumper stickers – "it's heritage, not hatred." Some people see the flag as a way to honor deceased Confederate soldiers or relatives who stood up for a cause they believed was just. Others view the flag as a symbol of regional pride.

They point out that the flag was not the official flag of the Confederacy (it was a battle flag) and was never meant to symbolize oppression or racism.

"Because the symbol has been used [in] racist, segregationist ways does not mean everyone used it that way," Coski said.

That came during the 20th century when the Ku Klux Klan and less violent pro-separation groups used it. But, proponents argue, just because the flag was hijacked doesn't mean the hijackers should be allowed to define it.

"They argue, 'It's been co-opted but why should we cede the flag?'" said Coski, who wrote a dispassionate, heavily researched and evenhanded book. "The Ku Klux Klan has used the American flag and the Christian cross for far, far longer."

Houston agrees with this assessment, as most thinking people should.

"It is possible that to some it is a symbol of just regional pride, pride in history and devoid of the negative history of slavery and lynchings," she said.

But as noble as that may be, I don't believe that is the true goal of people waving it at a stock car race. At a Confederate memorial or grave site? Sure. But at a sporting event?

Moreover, while the history is clear, so too, for most, is the present. A symbol does not get to define itself; society's oft-changing reaction to it determines that.

The swastika has been used for 3,000 years in cultures as different as China, India, Japan and Europe. Its literal meaning in ancient Sanskrit comes from the words "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and the suffix "ka."

But once Adolph Hitler's **** political party in Germany seized it as a symbol in the 1920s and went on to wage the Holocaust on Jews, it changed. In no way can anyone argue it still means "to be good." Its original intent no longer matters.

The same applies for the Confederate flag.

"The people who love the flag have to understand the negative connotation is not made up, they are based on historical uses," Coski said. "Not just by the Klan but ordinary Southerners who used it just as blacks perceive they do. People who love the flag have to be honest about it."
Old 10-11-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i said yes. the flag is a symbol of history. it should be flown proudly in remberence of the fight for the confedracey. i was born and raised in NY and im black (not that it matters) and im a huge nascar fan. (GO MARK!!) but nascar wouldnt be nascar with out teh alabamba gang and the Earnhardts and Pettys. all from the south. i use to live down the road from the driver of the 22 car Dave Blaney. i think the flag should be flown proudly all around the people who respect it.

i think the flag is hanging up in the Winston Cup museam in Winston-Salem NC. i lvoe the south. will i paint a confederate flag on my xB? thought about it but no i wont do that. ill leave that to whenever i get a Hemi Orange SRT-8 charger and weld the doors shut
Old 10-11-2006, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

While I may not agree with the message, I do believe in the freedom of expression and speech.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find it disrespectful to flaunt the flag around & be proud of something so dishonorable.