Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Silver Surfer Quarters

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Silver Surfer Quarters

Hey guys, I heard about this on the radio, the U.S. just released and came out with a limited edition (I believe theres only 40,000 of these, im sure im wrong though) Silver Surfer Quarters for a promotion of the new Fantastic 4 movie. Im pretty sure theres going to be a recall for the quarters, cause like what the hell you cant promote your movie on U.S. currency....

Anyways the point is...go on Ebay and search for "Silver Surfer Quarter" and look at how much money those things are going for!!! They are real quarters which only cost .25 cents!!! Some people have waaaaay too much money to spend...

Everyone check their change!!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow... I had no idea there were private mints. How is that possible? What would stop people from simply pocketing the money they print?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by citizen01
Wow... I had no idea there were private mints. How is that possible? What would stop people from simply pocketing the money they print?
the cost to produce money. At the insane volume the federal reserve makes coins, the cost to make a penny is now 1.7 cents, 4.something for a nickel, dime and quarters they do "make money", but that's not how the federal reserve makes money.

They sell the money they make to the government, for more "money" than they are giving them in money.(well then how can we ever have enough money to pay back the federal reserve? that is the 64,000 question)
Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh great, the last thing i need is for my dad to catch wind of comemorative movie coins...if i have to listen to him talk about his pure silver negatives that have never been touched by man.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

this sounds dumb. people buy crap like this?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you serious? This is the absolute least of dumb things people have paid money for in the history of humanity...
Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what i've seen. 1 .25 cent coin went up to $75.00

Talk about people buying stupid stuff, check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lindsay-Lohan-Me...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-29-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jeeze. How about the new $1 coins that don't have In God We Trust? When those first came out, people thought it was a fluke, so they were selling them for hundreds.. sad.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOS ANGELES — A Marvel Comics hero is giving George Washington some company on the quarter, but the U.S. Mint doesn't think the stunt is so super.

To promote the upcoming film "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," 20th Century Fox and The Franklin Mint altered 40,000 U.S. quarters to feature the character.

The U.S. Mint said in a news release Friday that it learned of the promotional quarter this week and advised the studio and The Franklin Mint they were breaking the law. It is illegal to turn a coin into an advertising vehicle, and violators can face a fine.

"The promotion is in no way approved, authorized, endorsed, or sponsored by the United States Mint, nor is it in any way associated or affiliated with the United States Mint," according to the release. The federal mint did not say whether the studio or the private Franklin Mint would face a penalty.

The altered coins are quarters honoring the state of California that entered circulation in 2005. They feature George Washington on the front, as usual, but a colorized version of the character on the back. All 40,000 are slated to be in circulation throughout the country by the end of Memorial Day weekend, and about 800 were released in each state.

Fans who find the customized quarters can enter a contest online to win prizes and a private screening of the movie.

The Franklin Mint mainly produces collectibles or commemorative medallions. Unlike its other commemorative coins, these aren't being sold, said Franklin Chairman Moshe Malamud. He emphasized that putting the character on the coin didn't alter the integrity of the coin.

"We are very, very protective of the currency of this country. Our goal was to enhance the coin," Malamud said.

Fox spokesman Chris Petrikin said that neither the studio nor The Franklin Mint intended to violate any laws or "suggest that there was any approval from the U.S. Mint or the U.S. Government" for the Silver Surfer coins.

"These are commemorative coins like many the Franklin Mint creates on a regular basis for various properties," he said. "We were confident this coin followed the same procedures and guidelines but will certainly take any necessary steps if advised otherwise."
Old 05-29-2007, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

um can i make a huge profit on these dumb things ?

if so i'lll find them somehow.