Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

SLR Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Back from the dead, but needed some advice for a new lens and waterproof housing.

I won't be needing the stuff until fall of 09, and price really isn't any concern. I'm going to the Caribbean and wanted to take my D40 underwater with me when I go scuba diving.

I found this housing, which comes with a one-year flood insurance policy.

http://www.fantasea.com/s.nl/it.A/id...c=2&category=5

Anyone have it?

Also, what would be a good lens to use while underwater? It would have to be a Nikon lens with the AF motor, since I have a D40 body.
have not used a nikon while diving...but you should have a close distance lens...things get blurry/hazy past a short distance.
also look into extra lights/strobes...the deeper you go, the less light is available for pictures...keep the shutter speed fast, unless you plan on taking a tripod underwater too...
Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back from the dead, but needed some advice for a new lens and waterproof housing.

I won't be needing the stuff until fall of 09, and price really isn't any concern. I'm going to the Caribbean and wanted to take my D40 underwater with me when I go scuba diving.

I found this housing, which comes with a one-year flood insurance policy.

http://www.fantasea.com/s.nl/it.A/id...c=2&category=5

Anyone have it?

Also, what would be a good lens to use while underwater? It would have to be a Nikon lens with the AF motor, since I have a D40 body.
My 2 cents and take it for what it's worth.

You're going to be dropping $1100 on that water proof housing for a week or so of scuba diving. Plus, in order to get really good pictures like Hotlava said, you'll need additional lights. It's going to get really expensive quick.

I would just get a cheap waterproof P&S and spend the $1100 on an expensive lens to take pictures outside of the water while there.

Again, take this with a grain of salt as this is just what I would do. I've never shot underwater so I can't really recommend anything with experience.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Well it wouldn't be for just a week, I'd use it anytime I go on vacation. I'm not planning on going too deep, so lighting shouldn't be much of a concern.

I'm looking into buying this lens, simply for the 1.4f, then get another one that has relatively decent zoom. Any feedback on this lens?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nik.../dp/B00005LENO
Old 05-12-2008, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if you are still basing your decision heavily on tghe SD card issue...Canon just released the Rebel xsi...
12mp and SD

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=16303

12 mega pixel
SD / SDHC cards
3in screen
live view
more auto focus points
18-55 IS lens
digic III processor
Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Big up canon!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well it wouldn't be for just a week, I'd use it anytime I go on vacation. I'm not planning on going too deep, so lighting shouldn't be much of a concern.

I'm looking into buying this lens, simply for the 1.4f, then get another one that has relatively decent zoom. Any feedback on this lens?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nik.../dp/B00005LENO
I see what you're saying, but it just seems like wasted money IMO. I guess I'm not talking out of experience, more guessing, but I don't think it's very easy to take great pictures underwater, at least without a lot of practice. Also take into account, you are locked into the D40 with that underwater set up, so if you upgrade the body, you have to get a new underwater set up, or keep the D40 with it.

The lens you pointed out is a great lens. I have the 1.8 version of it and it takes amazingly sharp pictures for a $100 lens. I've heard the 1.4 is a little better, but the cost is mainly in the metal vs plastic body.

This is the zoom lens I'm going to eventually get, but unfortunately, my photography has taken backseat to a few other aspects of my life:

http://www.adorama.com/NK70300AFVRU.html
Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^ Thanks for the tips, I know what you mean, but I think it's worth it in the long run. I'm going to have to wait it out and buy some lenses first. Once I get the feel for taking shots with a lens that allows in much more light (current lens has max f3.5/D), I'll make the ultimate decision on buying it or not.

Also, do you have any lenses that have the VR feature? The zoom lens I wanted has it, and so does the one you pointed out. I was just curious on how good the feature really is.

Here's the zoom lens I want. I don't care much for really high zoom, but it's basically the same lens that came with the camera, but 18-200mm instead of 18-55mm, plus VR.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-200mm...629835&sr=1-67

It's a little more than the 70-300mm, but it has better aperture and that would be one less lens to worry about.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a nice Olympus SLR but it was stolen out of my car. grrrr :-(

this thread is very helpful....somewhat :-P
Old 05-13-2008, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Thanks for the tips, I know what you mean, but I think it's worth it in the long run. I'm going to have to wait it out and buy some lenses first. Once I get the feel for taking shots with a lens that allows in much more light (current lens has max f3.5/D), I'll make the ultimate decision on buying it or not.

Also, do you have any lenses that have the VR feature? The zoom lens I wanted has it, and so does the one you pointed out. I was just curious on how good the feature really is.

Here's the zoom lens I want. I don't care much for really high zoom, but it's basically the same lens that came with the camera, but 18-200mm instead of 18-55mm, plus VR.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-200mm...629835&sr=1-67

It's a little more than the 70-300mm, but it has better aperture and that would be one less lens to worry about.
I currently don't own any VR lens, but have used them quite a bit. It works great if you are walking around snapping pictures during the day, but will never replace a nice tripod. I like it just because if I'm walking, I don't want to lug a tripod with me.

I've heard great things about that lens you posted as well. It is supposed to be a very good "do everything" lens as you get the low range and high as well. The only thing it won't do great is indoor, handheld shots, but that's what the 50 mm is for.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^ Exactly what I planned on using them for. I'm glad to hear that the VR comes in handy like that, especially since I'm not going to want to stop and setup a tripod for every picture I want to take.