Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

The sometimes toxic, never-ending debate: Manual, or Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 04:05 PM

Default The sometimes toxic, never-ending debate: Manual, or Automatic?

This post is in no way meant to evoke hate or to ridicule. I simply want to shed light on the topic
Enter this post with an open mind.

Thank you
I've been a Scion owner for about 2 years now, having bought my 2014 Scion tC 10 Series from a used car lot in 2020. My car is an automatic, and I love my car. There's one recurring debate which can turn quite toxic in some instances, the debate of what is 'better' between Automatic and Manual transmission cars. I may hold some default bias in this seeing as I have always driven automatic, but the entire division in the car community over a certain transmission build is pretty petty in itself.
I've spent some time in other discussion forums of the internet, and I always tend to see this majority of automatic owners seemingly "apologizing" to the forum communities for owning such a transmission. Why is it seen in this community of customization and self-expression that you must own a manual car to be considered a "real car enthusiast"? And seemingly within the same logic, an automatic owner shouldn't upgrade their shift **** to something aftermarket, because there's "no point, it's an automatic", I've added a samurai blade handle to mine, and it looks wonderful with the black and silver interior. In what world does your shift **** make such a drastic difference in your car's shifting ability, regardless of what stern manual owners will tell you.

I personally see no difference in how a certain car mod will perform given the transmission type. Is your wing on your car going to be any less aerodynamic given your transmission?
Seeming that 80% of the car community bases their ideas and choices around the "Fast & Furious" franchise, doesn't mean every car enthusiast needs to shift gears to be worthy. Own the car you want, be it a tC, a GT-R, or a Smart Car. Customize it to your heart's content, and choose the transmission you feel most comfortable with, instead of being pressured by a toxic ill-thought idea that what you choose isn't ideal.

The bottom line: Cars are cars, they customize the same (with the exception of some mechanical differences in each transmission), If you put the same body mods on two of the same car, both with different transmissions, they'll look the same.

Our community is a community of self-expression, spread love and positivity, not ridicule and negativity.