Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Speeding Ticket Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
No, your insurance will not see the ticket...
That's not true anymore. Insurance companies can check all 50 states for accidents and moving violations the same way they can check stolen cars and criminal backgrounds. When I applied for car insurance in California, they were able to pull my driving records from Kansas and Kentucky.
Then that means that I should plead not guilty.

Anyway, since this is a work zone without any activity at the time I was going through, are the fines still doubled? I always see everywhere, "fines doubled in work zone" and he made it clear on the ticket that it is a workzone
Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's not true anymore. Insurance companies can check all 50 states for accidents and moving violations the same way they can check stolen cars and criminal backgrounds. When I applied for car insurance in California, they were able to pull my driving records from Kansas and Kentucky.
Yes and no. Yes, they can see the ticket. However, if he gets deferred adjudication and doesn't get any more tickets for (most likely) 90 days, the ticket will "disappear" from his record and it won't affect his insurance. The only way to get deferred adjudication is to opt for that, which includes pleading guilty or nolo contendere.

As for the fine being doubled, no. If there are no workers present, it is not technically a work zone.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yes, but you have previously lived in Kansas and Kentucky, and had insurance there, correct? I live in NYC right now, and if i was to move to NJ of course they would be able to see my NY record. What i am saying, is that if i get a ticket in NJ, and i am from NY, NY will never know about the ticket.

this actually just recently happened to my friend who lives in NY with me. He was clocked 78 in a 55 in NJ, he paid the fine and nothing ever made it to his insurance.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How much was that fine?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I believe it was $200, i dont exactly remember, it was about a year ago

I also just read up on the NYS law about out of state tickets, and generally, if you get a ticket in NYS, they do not send it back to the home DMV [in your case, this would be CT]
Old 12-11-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it could be worse. here in cali, a ticket in a work zone is double penalty. seeing as how u were 20+ miles over that woulda been like $500 here. but i dunno if that applies to when there are no workers in the area.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Yes, but you have previously lived in Kansas and Kentucky, and had insurance there, correct?
No, I didn't. I was just a licensed driver in those states (I didn't own a car in either state).

I live in NYC right now, and if i was to move to NJ of course they would be able to see my NY record. What i am saying, is that if i get a ticket in NJ, and i am from NY, NY will never know about the ticket.
NY state won't know about the ticket, but if convicted, it appears in NJ state records which your insurance company has access to. That's how they are able to check for out-of-state drunk driving convictions.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So if nobody was actually working in the work zone, are the fines still doubled?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
Next question: I am a connecticut resident and I got this ticket in NY. So, if I still get hit with the ticket even after pleading not guilty, do i still get points on my license? Either way, with or without points, since its out of state, does my insurance go up?
Back in 'the old days" you would have been arrested and had to pay the ticket or post bond right then and there if you received a ticket out of state. Since that time, most states are on the "Interstate Compact" which means they agree to suspend your license if you do not pay a ticket you received out of state.

Yes. your out of state ticket will be reflected on your license. Yes. your insurance may go up if they randomly check your record, but I don't know how often that may occur. As to the work zone question, each state is different. I live in a state that specifically has written in the traffic ordinance that a posted work zone is in effect 24 hours a day. Other states may not.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well I don't see any bad that can come of pleading not guilty to the ticket. I'm not one to speed and I really don't think I was doing anything wrong. I was doing 65mph in a 55mph and cars were passing me. I really don't think 10mph over is being a bad guy. When I saw the sign for 45mph, I deactivated the cruise control and he adds 3mph to my speed. So for a couple thousand feet, I was doing 20 over which is when he gives me the ticket. I can't say I was right, I was still doing 10 over which if cops want to be a jerk, can give me a ticket for and the judge can as well (its still a hefty fine I believe), but I shouldn't be hit with a 20+ mph speeding ticket imo... I don't expect it to get thrown away, but reduced would be nice as I believe it deserved. Unfortunately, I can't postpone it b/c the date is 1/9/07 to go to court and thats when i'm on vacation which is convenient for me, otherwise i'd have to take a day off of work.

Send some more advice if anybody has, otherwise i'll post up an update in a month to tell you all that they laughed at me and charged me $1000 plus 10 points...but hey, thats the way the world works...(p.s. for the sympathy vote, i'm student teaching and taking classes, so no time for a part time job and I have all of $500 in my bank account that needs to last me until june when I can start working again....that $500 needs to buy holiday gifts and gas..i won't even be able to pay the ticket - thats an arrest situation right? how much do you all think I can get for my blood?... happy holidays all! )
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the officer made mistakes such as make/model type and ethnicity..can these be used as reasons like if he made this mistake blah blah.. in court?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by babyfac3pn01
if the officer made mistakes such as make/model type and ethnicity..can these be used as reasons like if he made this mistake blah blah.. in court?
I'm guessing no. They still have your license plate number so they know what car it was.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by babyfac3pn01
That happened to my brother and he got off........unfortunately my ticket is perfect
Old 01-14-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So I got my notice for my court date finally. The idiots want me to come in at 10AM on a wednesday in march. I'm not going to be available at that time and according to the letter they sent me, in order to request an adjournment, I have to do so before the court. That sucks, I have to drive all the way out there to tell them that I can't make it on that day! lol what a PITA....don't speed ppl, tickets are so dang frustrating!
Old 01-14-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06tC
Yes and no. Yes, they can see the ticket. However, if he gets deferred adjudication and doesn't get any more tickets for (most likely) 90 days, the ticket will "disappear" from his record and it won't affect his insurance. The only way to get deferred adjudication is to opt for that, which includes pleading guilty or nolo contendere.

As for the fine being doubled, no. If there are no workers present, it is not technically a work zone.
I tend to believe this. Although I have not had a ticket in over 3 years I have a total of 11 since I started driving years ago. Most of them were knocked down significantly but a few were not and where 20+ over the posted limit. My insurance company (whom I've been with for 13 years) has never once raised my premium or said a word to me about it.

Z
Old 01-14-2007, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Speeding is Speeding, Ive been pullled for 1 over.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what I say you do is plea not guilty and def show up to court because they will give u leniancy because u showed up xplain the whole cruise story and jus see if they'll make it 55 in a 45 the only bad thing is that in new york fines are doubled for speeding in a work zone was it a state trooper?
Old 01-14-2007, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

if you had the cruise set at 65, you were intentionally speeding. accept some responsibility for your actions, and pay the ticket.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by IcetC
what I say you do is plea not guilty and def show up to court because they will give u leniancy because u showed up xplain the whole cruise story and jus see if they'll make it 55 in a 45 the only bad thing is that in new york fines are doubled for speeding in a work zone was it a state trooper?
No, it was a highway patrolman. It was in your home town of new rochelle! So you know where i'm talking about on I-95 near the tolls.

Having retraced my steps to see if I was right or wrong, I have a valid argument. There is a sign all the way on the left that says "reduce speed ahead", and on the right side of the road beyond the entrance ramp - way off to the right, is a "speed limit 45" sign. At night and with a car in the middle lane passing me when I was in the left lane, its unrealistic that I could have seen that sign, and I didn't think twice since the sign on the left said "reduce speed ahead". So I am definitely going to incorporate that into my argument, along with the fact that there were no workers (if I lose, at least it shouldn't be doubled).

So the signs are contradictory, so I am going to fight to say that I was doing 65 in a 55mph zone, which if they want to give me a ticket for, fine...but the car NEXT to me is the one that was speeding and he clocked, so he should have been the one to get a ticket. Hey, i'm the one driving the sporty car though...i'll post again to let you all know what happens, but it looks like it will be a while, b/c I am first going to have to have it pushed back!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.ticketassassin.com amazing website

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Advice